MLS’ Toronto FC playing at the Rent this fall | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MLS’ Toronto FC playing at the Rent this fall

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Toronto looked and played like a team that wanted to go home.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm excited that the Revolution seem to have rallied now that they are at full strength. On to the conference championship against the Crew.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has ever been brought up on this board. How do you feel about MLS playoffs? To me, I wish the “league title” would be the Supporters Shield and MLS Cup should be a lesser cup (like FA Cup). I’ll admit I’m not a big MLS fan. Any thoughts?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has ever been brought up on this board. How do you feel about MLS playoffs? To me, I wish the “league title” would be the Supporters Shield and MLS Cup should be a lesser cup (like FA Cup). I’ll admit I’m not a big MLS fan. Any thoughts?

I don't understand our fascination with conferences. Play a full table like the other leagues and declare the regular season champ the champ. It makes the most sense.

But our other sports all feature expansive playoffs, so that seems to be what MLS copied. Even with Baseball, you could keep the conferences and eliminate divisions.

Reaction Score
More games, higher revenue.

Too bad only 1500 showed up for Miami @ Hartford. Did consider going myself.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's really what it should be. But there is still a greater respect for the MLS Cup vs the Supporter Shield. Maybe instead of Supporter Shield, name it MLS League Champion. Then you could still have MLS Cup Champion. ????

Reaction Score
More games, higher revenue.

And across the board, playoffs get more eyeballs than the regular season and that means more money, which then naturally leads to even more playoff games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't know why you say too bad. They sold all the seats they had blocked off. Did the cold temps, steady rain and gale force gusts scare you away? Too bad, you missed Higuain!

Reaction Score
I know they'll never go promotion/relegation so we can forget that. But I would love to see a full league with Home/Away like they do in Europe. With the US Open Cup they would still have a single elimination tournament.
There are too many teams for that in MLS... Of course with 10 more clubs you could do two 18 team leagues with Promotion and Relegation. ;)
But as we all know all of the major European leagues have no idea what they're doing...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But as we all know all of the major European leagues have no idea what they're doing...
Americans think they can coach soccer, too.

Reaction Score
I don't know why you say too bad. They sold all the seats they had blocked off. Did the cold temps, steady rain and gale force gusts scare you away? Too bad, you missed Higuain!
Don't care for soccer stars. They flop so badly.

I am not young anymore.

Reaction Score
I don't understand our fascination with conferences. Play a full table like the other leagues and declare the regular season champ the champ. It makes the most sense.

But our other sports all feature expansive playoffs, so that seems to be what MLS copied. Even with Baseball, you could keep the conferences and eliminate divisions.
What the MLS copied was the American tradition of distributing leagues across 4 time zone with more teams than can play a round robin schedule. Unlike baseball and the winter sports, where teams can take a 2 week road trip and cover most or all of the far coast, soccer teams have to fly back and forth for most games on the opposite coast, making traditional home and home arrangements impractical. Furthermore, by going beyond 18-20 teams it is no longer possible to play a complete round robin anyway. That's the biggest obstacle to makimg the Supporters' Shield a league championship. It doesn't make sense if teams are playing unbalanced schedules.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom