MLB Playoffs Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MLB Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Espn told them it was the 'greatest collapse' ever and that's that. It doesn't matter that no one cared too much as it evolved, that many saw it coming and that all believed that if the Red Sox held on they'd be cannon fodder. They blew an almost certain chance to lose only slightly quicker than the Yanks and Rays might lose? That ain't much of a story.

Out of curiousity how many folks stayed up and watched "the greatest day in regular season baseball history"? Its the exception rather than rule to talk to someone in Boston that stayed up to watch.

Reaction Score
And we can count on you for objectivity, right? You were one strike away from winning a trip to the world series against your hated rivals with your HOF closer on the mound and you let them come back to win an unprecedented four in a row, eventually ending an 86 year drought. And that's comparable to a team blowing a shot at the AL wildcard?

The odds were calculated. The odds of their collapse was 1 in 278 million. I have a better shot at winning Powerball.

Reaction Score
The odds were calculated. The odds of their collapse was 1 in 278 million. I have a better shot at winning Powerball.

Did they calculate the odds on the Red Sox coming back to win four straight in the world series when down to their last strike against Mariano Rivera and facing an 86 year drought? What's the symbol for infinity?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Did they calculate the odds on the Red Sox coming back to win four straight in the world series when down to their last strike against Mariano Rivera and facing an 86 year drought? What's the symbol for infinity?

Yeah, they did. And they were nowhere near 99.9%. Deal with it.

Own your failure.

Reaction Score

You honestly think the odds of losing 4 games in a row is anywhere near 1 in 278 million?

Reaction Score
Yeah, they did. And they were nowhere near 99.9%. Deal with it.

Own your failure.

My failure? I don't recall having any role in the Sox September swoon.

Would love to see you back up your assertions with some facts in terms of the math. Methinks you're talking out of your arse. Standard MO for you.

Reaction Score
You honestly think the odds of losing 4 games in a row is anywhere near 1 in 278 million?

Had it ever happened in MLB before or since? Just wondering. I think the Phillies dive in 1964 was worse than the Sox.

Reaction Score
I'm sure ESPN is already starting production on the 30 for 30 documentary on the Rays epic run to a first round exit in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Had it ever happened in MLB before or since? Just wondering. I think the Phillies dive in 1964 was worse than the Sox.

Yeah, never has there been a four game sweep in the history of the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Is that regular season collapse or postseason collapse? I believe you own the latter.

I believe the latter to be ancient history while yours is obviously fresh on your mind!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My failure? I don't recall having any role in the Sox September swoon.

Would love to see you back up your assertions with some facts in terms of the math. Methinks you're talking out of your arse. Standard MO for you.
Funny how you give him a hard time for saying "your" after you said "Is that regular season collapse or postseason collapse? I believe you own the latter."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is statistically harder to do what the 2011 Red Sox did than what the 2004 Yankees did. It is, by any objective measure, a far greater collapse.

Accept it.
I'm curious as to how statistically possible it is for a team to go basically forever before finally winning another world series and then their fan base behaves as if winning two in nine decades is equivalent to twenty seen and counting. Somehow the reaction of that fan base has defied all odds as logic would dictate that some should be aware enough to realize the difference.

Reaction Score
Yeah, never has there been a four game sweep in the history of the playoffs.

Not after having lost the first three of a best of seven. First and only time that has ever happened in MLB. But hey I know you know that.

Reaction Score
Funny how you give him a hard time for saying "your" after you said "Is that regular season collapse or postseason collapse? I believe you own the latter."

Hey doggy its easy giving him a hard time. On your worst day he still makes you look like a prince.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yankees facing an elimination game, and they're putting up Burnett. Must be a terrible feeling. :)
Actually it feels great, especially if he goes six plus and only gives up one run.

If Beckett or Lester did that any extra time or two down the stretch, the Sox may also be playing baseball these days instead of golf.

Reaction Score
Even if other fans care about it (which I don't believe, again I think at most its espn telling them to care) the point is neither the Sox players or their fans cared much about it. The Sox were boo-ed off the field after their last home game at which point the vaunted 'statistics' still said they'd make the playoffs. There were very specific reasons the Sox failed including a choke by a lot of the players that I contend made 'the collapse' very likely to occur so saying its epic because of the 9.5 game lead and the 99.5% odds at that point is arguing numbers in the face of baseball knowledge. And the comparisons to great regular season collapses or comebacks are way overblown because they rely solely on the # of games remaining and the lead. Ie. comparing this drama to Bobby Thompson's homerun is ludicrous.

Regardless if Boston is justifiably or unjustifiably fat dumb and happy from too many championships that is the case. Pre-2004 this would have been calamitous. Post 2004, 07, Celtics, Pats, Bruins its "ehh, hey what's next".

Reaction Score

The more I think about it, your 1 in 278 million is a complete crock of sheet. At September 1st the Sox had a nine game lead over TB. In order for it to be a 1 in 278 million chance wouldn't TB have had to finish better than 17-10 from there on out? With those kind of odds shouldn't they have had to finish something like 23-4? They didn't even play .600 ball in the month of September and still won the Wild Card. LOL, that 1 in 278 million BS makes less sense than most of your posts, which is really saying something.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The more I think about it, your 1 in 278 million is a complete crock of sheet. At September 1st the Sox had a nine game lead over TB. In order for it to be a 1 in 278 million chance wouldn't TB have had to finish better than 17-10 from there on out? With those kind of odds shouldn't they have had to finish something like 23-4? They didn't even play .600 ball in the month of September and still won the Wild Card. LOL, that 1 in 278 million BS makes less sense than most of your posts, which is really saying something.

Just curious what you put the odds at?

Here is an article on the odds both the Braves and Sox don't make the playoffs.

Reaction Score

Here it is spelled out for you .

Reaction Score
Read the second paragraph again, einstein. Those odds had nothing to do with the Sox coughing up a nine game lead. Nate Silver? lol.

Yeah, they have to do with what happened in their collapse. Those are the odds of what happened, happening. What don't you get. It is not the odds of them losing a 9 game lead.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they have to do with what happened in their collapse. Those are the odds of what happened, happening. What don't you get. It is not the odds of them losing a 9 game lead.

They talked about the odds of the game ending in a walkoff etc. Nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Reaction Score
They talked about the odds of the game ending in a walkoff etc. Nothing to do with the topic at hand.

You mean the odds of them losing the way they did has nothing to do with the odds of losing that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom