Mizzou fan looking for advice | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mizzou fan looking for advice

Reaction Score
Pepes in Manchester is trash compared to the original Pepes. Manchester is slightly better than one of the Ray's in Manhattan. The original in New Haven is far superior.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You can leave the parkas and gloves in Missouri this weekend.

IMG_0139.jpg

Reaction Score
Yes, people routinely travel thousands of miles to visit a hot dog stand.

Might as well send him to the Chowder Pot. At least there, they are likely to get better seafood than they are used to in Missouri.

If they are staying in downtown Hartford, just use Yelp. If they are staying in EH/Glastonbury and want a nice dinner. Max Fish would be my choice. They also have one of the better steaks in the area. Not really a post game option though.
Right, people traveling thousands of miles and you send them to Max Fish for ... drum roll, please ... a steak. I have been to Max Fish twice in the last month. You go there for the oysters on the half shell and the fish. Full stop.

Oh, and they make a great Moscow Mule.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Apizza is strictly a New Haven thing. Most of what we eat here is either BY style or "Greek style, halfway between NY and Sicilian in terms of rise. It is also closest in style, if not quality, to your national chains.

Don't care for apizza myself, but if you do it, go to Modern Apizza in New Haven unless you really really really want to try the Pepe's white clam.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Right, people traveling thousands of miles and you send them to Max Fish for ... drum roll, please ... a steak. I have been to Max Fish twice in the last month. You go there for the oysters on the half shell and the fish. Full stop.

Oh, and they make a great Moscow Mule.

Not a fan of seafood. Obviously they have fish, I added the part about the steak because most people wouldn't think a fish place had good steak. This one does.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of seafood. Obviously they have fish, I added the part about the steak because most people wouldn't think a fish place had good steak. This one does.
Just having a bit of fun with you. The idea that a mid westerner, where they have the best steaks in the world ... just hit my funny bone. Apologies.

Reaction Score
I see this thread has come back to life! Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

My dad and I got to Hartford around noon. Just ate lunch at City Steam and checked in at the Residence Inn. Now it is nap time. Tonight, Max Downtown for dinner.

Thanks to the poster who pointed out that the shuttle has been discontinued. Maybe we’ll take an Uber to he game.

We plan on driving to Storrs to look around in the morning.

We will go to the Dairy Bar, but I have to take exception with the poster who said it would be the best ice cream we’ve ever eaten. That distinction rests with Buck’s Ice Cream, made on the campus of the University of Missouri.

MIZ

Reaction Score
Have to confess in my three years at KU, I only visited Columbia once...to take the bar exam.
Other than maybe a quick post-bar bar stop, you sure didn't miss much if you bee lined it straight out of Columbia!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Other than maybe a quick post-bar bar stop, you sure didn't miss much if you bee lined it straight out of Columbia!

When you visit the people that burned your college's town to the ground, you don't really linger. Quickly back to KC it was.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We will go to the Dairy Bar, but I have to take exception with the poster who said it would be the best ice cream we’ve ever eaten. That distinction rests with Buck’s Ice Cream, made on the campus of the University of Missouri.
Try it first. Just saying.

Be sure to post after the game. It's always interesting to hear visitors' impressions of the Rent and campus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

My dad and I got to Hartford around noon. Just ate lunch at City Steam and checked in at the Residence Inn. Now it is nap time. Tonight, Max Downtown for dinner.

You are only a block from the XL Center. If you want to save some money, it's $1. hot dogs at the hockey game tonight.

Reaction Score
You are only a block from the XL Center. If you want to save some money, it's $1. hot dogs at the hockey game tonight.
Sadly, it will be the Wolfpack (NY Rangers' minor league team) playing not UConn. The Huskies are playing at Miami of Ohio tonight.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Thanks to the poster who pointed out that the shuttle has been discontinued. Maybe we’ll take an Uber to he game.

MIZ

have to say it. Born in STL and grew up going to Mizzou games. Dad is a Mizzou alumnus. I remember sitting at the counter and getting burgers and Booches and going to Harpos 2 years back for the first time. Love me some Shakespeares pizza and remember going to The Heidelberg with my grandparents after games when I was a kid. I had a mural of Carlos Posey on my wall in STL when I was 6. Fond fond memories of Mizzou football growing up.

With that being said, I hope you have a terrible experience tomorrow :D Go HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Some great information here so I'll continue this thread.

1) Where should I eat lunch in Storrs on my drive over from Boston?
2) You can't throw footballs at the tailgate?

Augie and Ray's is great for having lunch. It's on Main Street in East Hartford near the stadium...

Reaction Score

MIZ

Sorry, but according to some, the Dairy Bar is just behind PennState Creamery in rank...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry, but according to some, the Dairy Bar is just behind PennState Creamery in rank...
Having been to both, the Dairy Bar is step or two ahead PSU. In fact I'd put UDel's ice cream ahead of Penn State, although all three are very good.

Reaction Score
It's funny how whenever anyone says they are coming from the north for a game, a bunch of people want to send them to New Haven. Or worse, Glastonbury.

He said he’s going to Max and you send him to the XL for $1 hot dogs? And criticize others for sending him to Glastonbury? :eek::D;)

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Just finished up a double scoop of salted caramel. Very, very good.

But it is not Buck’s.
Yeah I get that but I'm sure bucks is good in it's own way

Reaction Score
Visits to Bidwell’s Tavern (decent) and Dairy Bar (great) are complete.

Where will I find the scalpers?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom