Mistaken assumptions about AAC and ESPN3 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mistaken assumptions about AAC and ESPN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Me. Because if you get ratings you will get $ next time

Seriously. Do people not get the split? If you are above the line you get money. If you are below the line you don't. A decade into this nonsense it seems self-evident to everyone who isn't in denial.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Seriously. Do people not get the split? If you are above the line you get money. If you are below the line you don't. A decade into this nonsense it seems self-evident to everyone who isn't in denial.
Ok. I hope we don't get ratings or money. Would that please you?

Reaction Score
Just got a new laptop for work and it has a HDMI port. Bring on ESPN3. No more PlayOn for this sports fan!!!

Even if it didn't you could connect to your computer with an adapter to HDMI on your TV. For those that might not know this.

Reaction Score
Even if it didn't you could connect to your computer with an adapter to HDMI on your TV. For those that might not know this.

If you have Apple TV, you can use AirPlay to send it to your TV wirelessly.

Reaction Score

If you have Apple TV, you can use AirPlay to send it to your TV wirelessly.

Reaction Score
Xbox 360, PS3, and other settop boxes also have interfaces to ESPN3 as well.

One thing to add is that WatchESPN/ESPN3 is typically bundled in at a lower tier than ESPNU but will generally carry ESPNU games so fans don't necessarily have to pay additional money to get access to the games even if it does end up on ESPNU.

...although I guess there's the risk of a ESPN3 blackout being put into effect to block that out for local viewers. I've never heard of them blacking out ESPNU games before but who knows with ESPN nowadays.

Reaction Score

One thing to add is that WatchESPN/ESPN3 is typically bundled in at a lower tier than ESPNU but will generally carry ESPNU games so fans don't necessarily have to pay additional money to get access to the games even if it does end up on ESPNU.

...although I guess there's the risk of a ESPN3 blackout being put into effect to block that out for local viewers. I've never heard of them blacking out ESPNU games before but who knows with ESPN nowadays.

An ESPN3 blackout usually means the game is available regionally on SNY.

pj

Reaction Score
It looks like Aresco took a bad situation and found a good compromise. The top schools get increased exposure and can survive on exit fee money for a few years. The other schools get a slight uptick in cash plus exposure. The only thing that really bothers me is that the contract lasts a full six years. I would have preferred 4 years so that we get out from under the ESPN matching provision as soon as possible; so that when we run out of exit fees we also are clear of contracts and can renegotiate everything.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's decent quality not quite HD but way better than SD. I don't mind it all that much.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score

But you still need an internet provider that is on ESPN3 approved list, correct?

Reaction Score
You either need an ISP that is on the ESPN3 approved list (which allows you to access it without cable TV) or have cable through a provider that grants WatchESPN. No need to have both.

For example, I had access to ESPN3 a few years ago back when I was on the lowest tier for Verizon, which didn't offer any cable channels. ESPN3 was the only option I had to watch live sports.

Edit: Actually, I think it's just tied to ISP - it's just that all Cable-affiliated ISPs are on that that list.

Reaction Score
The Aresco bashing is no different than an overpaid baseball player who strikes out a ton. Half the amount of people giving him a hard time wouldn't be if he personally was not making as much as UCONN.

In many ways, Aresco got screwed. The conference that hired him and the conference he has now don't compare in any way, shape or form. Many that left had given Aresco assurances of loyalty in the attempt to lure him. Many in his situation would have quit and started law suits. As for the million? With bonuses, he probably had the same opportunity at CBS.

Reaction Score
I think Aresco could have been the right guy, but showed up too late. SH and WM may be the right people, but showed up a little too late. People underestimate the damage and/or lost opportunity that occurred having an interim president and hamstrung AD at an extremely, extremely critical time in CR. UCONN has gained some ground over the past year in terms of infrastructure, but it's got a way to go.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In many ways, Aresco got screwed. The conference that hired him and the conference he has now don't compare in any way, shape or form. Many that left had given Aresco assurances of loyalty in the attempt to lure him. Many in his situation would have quit and started law suits. As for the million? With bonuses, he probably had the same opportunity at CBS.

Aresco got screwed. Aresco? The one man Tulane band? You are utterly and totally insane if you think Aresco got screwed - I'm sorry this is like Waylon times Spackler crazy.

Reaction Score
As the details of the AAC contract comes out, interesting view of exposure.

When this issue was debated, for football, it was assumed ESPN and CBS national networks did not include the barren outpost of CBS Sports Network. Wonder what other gems are in the AAC contract.

Aresco: I don't think people have focused enough on how good the exposure is that they're giving us in football and basketball. For instance in basketball, I think it's 113 games of the 170 games in 2014 will be on national ESPN platforms or a few of them sub-licensed to national platforms.

Aresco: Many already have outstanding facilities whether it's the level of TV exposure ESPN will televise 58 of our 66 football games nationally on either ABC again or ESPN national platforms in 2014, with a handful sublicensed to other national networks

Wonder what few means...now that we know that a handful means at least 20%? (Wonder if al jazeera wants some sports?)

aumanmug_bigger.jpg

Greg Auman ‏@gregauman
To clarify, CBS Sports Network gets 13-15 football games a year that would have been in ESPN/ESPN2 pool -- out of 70 or so in American deal.

Reaction Score

When this issue was debated, for football, it was assumed ESPN and CBS national networks did not include the barren outpost of CBS Sports Network. Wonder what other gems are in the AAC contract.

Aresco: I don't think people have focused enough on how good the exposure is that they're giving us in football and basketball. For instance in basketball, I think it's 113 games of the 170 games in 2014 will be on national ESPN platforms or a few of them sub-licensed to national platforms.

Aresco: Many already have outstanding facilities whether it's the level of TV exposure ESPN will televise 58 of our 66 football games nationally on either ABC again or ESPN national platforms in 2014, with a handful sublicensed to other national networks

Wonder what few means...now that we know that a handful means at least 20%? (Wonder if al jazeera wants some sports?)

aumanmug_bigger.jpg

Greg Auman ‏@gregauman
To clarify, CBS Sports Network gets 13-15 football games a year that would have been in ESPN/ESPN2 pool -- out of 70 or so in American deal.

The CBS Network deal stands on its own though. That's 12 games.

Breaking it down, we have this:

Basketball:

170 games total
113-25 to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU: 88
25 to CBS Sports Network: 25
6 to CBS Network: 6
6 OOC to CBS Network

So, that accounts for 119 of the 170 games.

Now, Fox1 or 2 can also sublicense basketball games with ESPN, but in that case, a move to FS1 would probably give you more exposure than say ESPNU. And, it's likely that ESPN would not give Fox any decent games, so that wouldn't be a bad deal for the conference.

Nonetheless, 25 and 30 is WAY too much for CBS SN.

The only caveat to this is that 113 of 170 is a higher % of games than ESPN showed of the BE. Now that ESPN is don to 88 games, we're probably below the BE %. I didn't expect more. But, I thought we were trading dollars for exposure.

Something makes me suspect that Aresco made sweetheart deals with CBS and that's why the $$$ from ESPN is so bad. I mean, did ESPN sign off on 5 Louisville games to CBS SN? I doubt it. Is ESPN paying so little because some top games are migrating?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's decent quality not quite HD but way better than SD. I don't mind it all that much.

I've watched a few clips on the big screen from my computer. There is definitely a difference but it's better than PlayOn. That is for sure. Watching WMU last year through the PS3 was painful.

I believe the signal through the computer is HD but its something like 720i or something. I know enough about technology to be dangerous...that is to say, I know that 1080p is considered better than 1080i, and 720p is less than 1080 anything.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

aumanmug_bigger.jpg

Greg Auman ‏@gregauman

Anyone else worried about "ESPN national platforms?" Not to reopen the debate, but I can make a case the ESPN3 is a national platform. Aresco's a lawyer, he could have used the words television stations, but didn't.

Reaction Score
That's the worry. Details haven't been kind so far.

And Aresco's language (and espn's) has changed from nat'l broadcasts to national platforms.

Anyone else worried about "ESPN national platforms?" Not to reopen the debate, but I can make a case the ESPN3 is a national platform. Aresco's a lawyer, he could have used the words television stations, but didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom