Mississippi State Freshmen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mississippi State Freshmen

Reaction Score
Miss. St. is vulnerable this year. They are not as deep as last year , nor are they as good defenseively. Vivians can be exposed playing against any front line smart enough and patient enough. They are still offensively challenged.

Allowing 55 ppg, 39% FG, 29% 3pt FG, and forcing 19 turnovers per game. All those numbers are around the same or better than last year. Offensively 82 ppg, 47% FG, 39% 3pt FG, 10 turnovers per game. Not sure where you're drawing these conclusions from.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I remember when those freshman came to Durham for the NCAA's..... they were the 5th seed and Duke was 4th. It was a hard fought game....and I remember the Miss State coach got a tech with about a minute to go.. that pretty much sealed the deal. Time flies.
I remember the game but had forgotten about the technical. That didn't help. I was impressed with how competitive MSU was and gave Duke a run for their money.

My lasting memory is, when MSU was behind late and was letting the inbound roll a long time, Elizabeth Williams went in for a steal and ended up fouling the MSU player. One of the dumbest plays I've ever in seen basketball.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I haven't said this on here, but if we're fortunate enough to reach a championship game with the Huskies, I'm not very hopeful of a repeat of last year. We played well last year, but it really takes a perfect storm of factors to beat UConn and we got it.

The key (among a few keys) to me to last year's win was hitting shots early and getting out to a good lead. I think that put a somewhat inexperienced UConn group on their heels just long enough for us to be there at the end and have the opportunity to win.
Sorry to come late to the thread. You may be right, but Vivians' shooting efficiency has improved significantly this year, and Blair Schaefer's 3 pt accuracy may be more consistent than last year (my impression; I don't have statistics to compare). Also, Jasmine Holmes has generally done an excellent job of subbing for Morgan William when Morgan becomes a little discombobulated. McCowan seems to have improved noticeably from last year (shudder). I started watching Miss State because I was impressed by Dominique Dillingham the last couple of years. She's graduated (nice to see her on the bench -- graduate assistant I assume) and I'm sure they miss her, but surely the offense is a lot better this year, and the defense is certainly way better than Quinnipiac's. If Miss State ends up playing UConn the game plan is surely going to be more Q. than St. Francis. Just an odd thought: Vivians plays a role similar to KLS, but she seems to play with a cool equanimity that reminds me of Napheesa.

Reaction Score
Allowing 55 ppg, 39% FG, 29% 3pt FG, and forcing 19 turnovers per game. All those numbers are around the same or better than last year. Offensively 82 ppg, 47% FG, 39% 3pt FG, 10 turnovers per game. Not sure where you're drawing these conclusions from.
Stats, Stats, Stats, ! against Who?? How many tournament teams are those stats against? Stats mean nothing to me in the women's game. There is no parity. Just as I don't look at stats for the huskies in league. The huskies played Stanford, Maryland, Ucla, N.D., DePaul, Oklahoma, USF, Texas, S.C., Louisville. Miss. St. played nobody , first of all. Second, Vivians at 5"11 is now playing the 4 spot. Can't wait to see her defending that position going forward in the tournament against real quality oponents, and a coaching staff able to exploit it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I haven't said this on here, but if we're fortunate enough to reach a championship game with the Huskies, I'm not very hopeful of a repeat of last year. We played well last year, but it really takes a perfect storm of factors to beat UConn and we got it.

The key (among a few keys) to me to last year's win was hitting shots early and getting out to a good lead. I think that put a somewhat inexperienced UConn group on their heels just long enough for us to be there at the end and have the opportunity to win.

I will say, I think you banked in 2 or 3 threes when the game was on the verge of swinging towards a big uconn run.

I think they were by vivians.

those hurt.

sometimes it's just your night with stuff like that.

Nurse had 2 threes at the end of the game that were both halfway down that popped out. Those small handful of shots is the difference between the jumper and a 10ish point uconn win.

Reaction Score
Vulnerable to who? The Top 5 or 6 teams in the country? Agreed. Those teams are all vulnerable to each other with UConn standing tall among them. If State shoots badly and T gets in foul trouble (as happened in their only loss), they'll be vulnerable to NC State, but on most days they'll be the better team and win.

Agree they are not as deep.

Disagree they're not as good defensively. I have previously addressed this myth on this forum, but would be happy to hear your evidence for that assertion.

Vivians can be exposed as what? An All American caliber player? That's what she is and she's had her best season by far. She's done a lot more exposing of good front line players than the opposite as she's been playing the 4 and is usually matched up with a bigger, slower player.

MSU is one of the better offensive teams in the country and the #'s support it. This is not the 2016 team. If you'd like to support the idea that they are challenged offensively I'm open to it.
Arguing all of this is futile. Let's just say I personally hope UConn meets Miss. St. in the NC game. Then we can return to this conversation. Good luck getting there !

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Arguing all of this is futile. Let's just say I personally hope UConn meets Miss. St. in the NC game. Then we can return to this conversation. Good luck getting there !

This didn't really feel like a conversation or even a debate. It felt liken you making some assertions that evidence doesn't support and then not supporting them.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Stats, Stats, Stats, ! against Who?? How many tournament teams are those stats against? Stats mean nothing to me in the women's game. There is no parity. Just as I don't look at stats for the huskies in league. The huskies played Stanford, Maryland, Ucla, N.D., DePaul, Oklahoma, USF, Texas, S.C., Louisville. Miss. St. played nobody , first of all. Second, Vivians at 5"11 is now playing the 4 spot. Can't wait to see her defending that position going forward in the tournament against real quality oponents, and a coaching staff able to exploit it.

Against who? Against MSU's 35 opponents in 2017-18 and compared to the same stats against a similar schedule the previous year. How else should we debate your assertion that MSU is not as good defensively?

MSU's schedule wasn't as tough as UConn's, but there were plenty of good teams on it including 16 games vs NCAA Tourney teams. They went 15-1 in those games and won by double digits in 12 of them. In the last 18 games no team has scored more than 63 points and the average has been 54.5. They've only given up more than 70 points twice all year. Both to NCAAT teams in wins. One an 11 point win over a pretty damn good Oregon team (nobody?).

They are still very good defensively and better offensively. That's why they're 34-1. UConn is better by nearly all measures, but State is good and even better than they were last year.

Vivians is 6'1", not 5'11" and this ain't her first rodeo. She's played against the best many times and she's proven herself. If she needs a little backup, there's somebody pretty large usually waiting.

Reaction Score
Against who? Against MSU's 35 opponents in 2017-18 and compared to the same stats against a similar schedule the previous year. How else should we debate your assertion that MSU is not as good defensively?

MSU's schedule wasn't as tough as UConn's, but there were plenty of good teams on it including 16 games vs NCAA Tourney teams. They went 15-1 in those games and won by double digits in 12 of them. In the last 18 games no team has scored more than 63 points and the average has been 54.5. They've only given up more than 70 points twice all year. Both to NCAAT teams in wins. One an 11 point win over a pretty damn good Oregon team (nobody?).

They are still very good defensively and better offensively. That's why they're 34-1. UConn is better by nearly all measures, but State is good and even better than they were last year.

Vivians is 6'1", not 5'11" and this ain't her first rodeo. She's played against the best many times and she's proven herself. If she needs a little backup, there's somebody pretty large usually waiting.
As I said , no point in hashing it any longer. I hope we meet again !

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think you underestimate folks on this site. We like and respect Vic even though his team beat UConn in a close one. Even though Dawn has yet to beat UConn there are many here who are ambivalent toward her. Many here also like and respect Tara who has also beaten UConn a few times. Opinions here about Muffet are mostly negative, to say the least.
Dawn I wonder why... even after she has never beaten UConn! Vic is a guy that Geno likes... Muffett has beaten UConn a few times and said bad things about Stewie so she gets the wrath a lil. Tara is respected cause she came up with a game plan to stop a few streaks but isn't an overall threat to UConn. The dislike of Dawn is a headscratcher around here :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Dawn I wonder why... even after she has never beaten UConn! Vic is a guy that Geno likes... Muffett has beaten UConn a few times and said bad things about Stewie so she gets the wrath a lil. Tara is respected cause she came up with a game plan to stop a few streaks but isn't an overall threat to UConn. The dislike of Dawn is a headscratcher around here :rolleyes:
Me too. I scratch my head (dome) every time I hear a disparaging word.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Imma leave this one alone

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom