Mississippi State Freshmen | The Boneyard

Mississippi State Freshmen

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Flush this thread if y'all want to, but I love this video of Mississippi State's best ever senior class when they were babes (they're still babes, by the way). UConn has become such a juggernaut I thought y'all might want to see the very recent seeds that built a great program...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Flush this thread if y'all want to, but I love this video of Mississippi State's best ever senior class when they were babes (they're still babes, by the way). UConn has become such a juggernaut I thought y'all might want to see the very recent seeds that built a great program...

Nice little video. You should be proud of what your team has accomplished.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I think you underestimate folks on this site. We like and respect Vic even though his team beat UConn in a close one. Even though Dawn has yet to beat UConn there are many here who are ambivalent toward her. Many here also like and respect Tara who has also beaten UConn a few times. Opinions here about Muffet are mostly negative, to say the least.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I think you underestimate folks on this site. We like and respect Vic even though his team beat UConn in a close one. Even though Dawn has yet to beat UConn there are many here who are ambivalent toward her. Many here also like and respect Tara who has also beaten UConn a few times. Opinions here about Muffet are mostly negative, to say the least.

I have a lot of respect for UConn fans and this site, which is why I thought y'all might enjoy this video in the down time before the Sweet 16. I'm sure we are all very glad to make it there. It's still a great accomplishment for any program.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Interesting that two of the five players from that video transferred to Jacksonville, while the other three (Vivians, William, Schaefer) would in very short order lead the program to one breakthrough after another.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What’s the outlook for Mississippi State for next year and the year after? There’s a lot of talent departing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I remember when those freshman came to Durham for the NCAA's..... they were the 5th seed and Duke was 4th. It was a hard fought game....and I remember the Miss State coach got a tech with about a minute to go.. that pretty much sealed the deal. Time flies.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I remember when those freshman came to Durham for the NCAA's..... they were the 5th seed and Duke was 4th. It was a hard fought game....and I remember the Miss State coach got a tech with about a minute to go.. that pretty much sealed the deal. Time flies.

Remember it well. So glad you do too. We had a nice team (great prior to very recent MSU standards). Had a strong center named Martha Alwal you might remember and Salter from the video was inserted late and knocked down some late 3's after it was decided.

Reaction Score

Mostly negative gut feelings toward Muffet, but still respect her coaching and her successes.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
What’s the outlook for Mississippi State for next year and the year after? There’s a lot of talent departing.

I expect the starters to be Holmes at PG, backed up by what should be a very solid RS freshman in Myah Taylor (3 time Miss. POY), athletic solid defender Jordan Danberry at the 2, Chloe Bibby at the 4 and Big T in the middle with the 5th starter a bit uncertain. Likely to be either Iggy Allen depending on how her knee rehab goes or Nyah Tate. Could see Taylor and Holmes playing together as this team will be much more offensively challenged and Taylor can score. I'm hopeful of a breakout year for Bibby after an offseason in the system and an expected improvement in conditioning and strength. Expecting her to put up 12-15 a game. We'll need it.

That's 3 senior starters with a good deal of playing experience. Returning T is huge obviously, and while still a bit in doubt she has said she's coming back. She should be a force and will have some size backing her up with Campbell and the freshmen.

They will play Vic's style of aggressive D and beat a lot of people on the strength of D alone. Probably a Top 15 to 25 type team if things transition smoothly. There's a good freshman class coming in who will hopefully get in the mix at some point in the year.

State does not have the well of talent of the top teams, so an injury or other loss will affect them more harshly, especially if it's a senior.

Very hard to project 2020, but we're obviously excited about Andra. Hopefully by that point some of the 2018 and 2019 freshmen will have stepped into vital roles. We won't have the force in the middle, but there seems to be plenty of talent and coaching to remain in the top half of the SEC.

Reaction Score
Muffet acts like a 3 year old when she doesn't feel she's getting enough attention. Greatly respect her coaching acumen and what she's done at ND, however.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I expect the starters to be Holmes at PG, backed up by what should be a very solid RS freshman in Myah Taylor (3 time Miss. POY), athletic solid defender Jordan Danberry at the 2, Chloe Bibby at the 4 and Big T in the middle with the 5th starter a bit uncertain. Likely to be either Iggy Allen depending on how her knee rehab goes or Nyah Tate. Could see Taylor and Holmes playing together as this team will be much more offensively challenged and Taylor can score. I'm hopeful of a breakout year for Bibby after an offseason in the system and an expected improvement in conditioning and strength. Expecting her to put up 12-15 a game. We'll need it.

That's 3 senior starters with a good deal of playing experience. Returning T is huge obviously, and while still a bit in doubt she has said she's coming back. She should be a force and will have some size backing her up with Campbell and the freshmen.

They will play Vic's style of aggressive D and beat a lot of people on the strength of D alone. Probably a Top 15 to 25 type team if things transition smoothly. There's a good freshman class coming in who will hopefully get in the mix at some point in the year.

State does not have the well of talent of the top teams, so an injury or other loss will affect them more harshly, especially if it's a senior.

Very hard to project 2020, but we're obviously excited about Andra. Hopefully by that point some of the 2018 and 2019 freshmen will have stepped into vital roles. We won't have the force in the middle, but there seems to be plenty of talent and coaching to remain in the top half of the SEC.

Man, I thought McCowan was a senior. I can't wait for her to leave.

In the nicest way possible.

the same I counted down to when Griner and Diggins left.

She is a beast down low. I thought I read she grabs like 22% of Miss St's missed shots? That's ridiculous.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Man, I thought McCowan was a senior. I can't wait for her to leave.

In the nicest way possible.

the same I counted down to when Griner and Diggins left.

She is a beast down low. I thought I read she grabs like 22% of Miss St's missed shots? That's ridiculous.

Yeah, like Vic says, she cleans up a lot of our messes. 8 of her 18 boards last night were Offensive. Leads the nation with 6 a game.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yeah, like Vic says, she cleans up a lot of our messes. 8 of her 18 boards last night were Offensive. Leads the nation with 6 a game.

That's where the game is won and lost.

Despite how awful UConn played in virtually ever other facet of the game, if they just controlled the boards, they would have handled MSU.

But those giants on the front line are back, hope Z is up to the task. Or they better have a plan to get TM in foul trouble early.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
That's where the game is won and lost.

Despite how awful UConn played in virtually ever other facet of the game, if they just controlled the boards, they would have handled MSU.

But those giants on the front line are back, hope Z is up to the task. Or they better have a plan to get TM in foul trouble early.

I haven't said this on here, but if we're fortunate enough to reach a championship game with the Huskies, I'm not very hopeful of a repeat of last year. We played well last year, but it really takes a perfect storm of factors to beat UConn and we got it.

The key (among a few keys) to me to last year's win was hitting shots early and getting out to a good lead. I think that put a somewhat inexperienced UConn group on their heels just long enough for us to be there at the end and have the opportunity to win.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Interesting that two of the five players from that video transferred to Jacksonville, while the other three (Vivians, William, Schaefer) would in very short order lead the program to one breakthrough after another.

I get the impression Vic is good with players once they and he realize they're not going to nail down a significant role with the team. He will help them find a good situation if that's what they want and it's possible. Kayla played a good bit at Jacksonville this year and they had a nice season with an NIT bid.

the Q

Reaction Score
I haven't said this on here, but if we're fortunate enough to reach a championship game with the Huskies, I'm not very hopeful of a repeat of last year. We played well last year, but it really takes a perfect storm of factors to beat UConn and we got it.

The key (among a few keys) to me to last year's win was hitting shots early and getting out to a good lead. I think that put a somewhat inexperienced UConn group on their heels just long enough for us to be there at the end and have the opportunity to win.

Schaefer also had a great gameplan and played to his team's strengths (slow the pace, let the offensive glass do its thing).

I'm a big fan of his.

Reaction Score

Miss. St. is vulnerable this year. They are not as deep as last year , nor are they as good defenseively. Vivians can be exposed playing against any front line smart enough and patient enough. They are still offensively challenged.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Miss. St. is vulnerable this year. They are not as deep as last year , nor are they as good defenseively. Vivians can be exposed playing against any front line smart enough and patient enough. They are still offensively challenged.

Vulnerable to who? The Top 5 or 6 teams in the country? Agreed. Those teams are all vulnerable to each other with UConn standing tall among them. If State shoots badly and T gets in foul trouble (as happened in their only loss), they'll be vulnerable to NC State, but on most days they'll be the better team and win.

Agree they are not as deep.

Disagree they're not as good defensively. I have previously addressed this myth on this forum, but would be happy to hear your evidence for that assertion.

Vivians can be exposed as what? An All American caliber player? That's what she is and she's had her best season by far. She's done a lot more exposing of good front line players than the opposite as she's been playing the 4 and is usually matched up with a bigger, slower player.

MSU is one of the better offensive teams in the country and the #'s support it. This is not the 2016 team. If you'd like to support the idea that they are challenged offensively I'm open to it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
OSU played defense and forced a miss, only to give up an easy putback by T. She’s a load.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Thanks! I don’t know the bench or recruiting well, so I’ll pay closer attention to those you mention. Top 15-25 is good historically for MSU, but a drop from the last 2 years.

I hope Andi is happy there and does well for you guys. I’m a little concerned about culture shock for her and inability to follow team rules.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Thanks! I don’t know the bench or recruiting well, so I’ll pay closer attention to those you mention. Top 15-25 is good historically for MSU, but a drop from the last 2 years.

I hope Andi is happy there and does well for you guys. I’m a little concerned about culture shock for her and inability to follow team rules.

You're welcome! Happy to talk about my team. I think Vic will get us back to the Top 10, just not expecting it next year with the loss of some program changing seniors.

I sure hope Andra settles in well. Culture shock can definitely happen, but Mississippi is not as much of an other world as many seem to think, especially at a major university. It'll be up to her. She'll get support from an adoring fan base and a good group of coaches if she accepts it. Seems like she bonded with our young asst. Carly Thibault and Dom Dillingham, who is a GA this year.

I think Vic really thinks she can be a Vivians kind of player for us, but you can be sure she will be coached hard and have to learn to play D and within a system. Y'all know much more about the issues she had at UConn than I do.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You're welcome! Happy to talk about my team. I think Vic will get us back to the Top 10, just not expecting it next year with the loss of some program changing seniors.

I sure hope Andra settles in well. Culture shock can definitely happen, but Mississippi is not as much of an other world as many seem to think, especially at a major university. It'll be up to her. She'll get support from an adoring fan base and a good group of coaches if she accepts it. Seems like she bonded with our young asst. Carly Thibault and Dom Dillingham, who is a GA this year.

I think Vic really thinks she can be a Vivians kind of player for us, but you can be sure she will be coached hard and have to learn to play D and within a system. Y'all know much more about the issues she had at UConn than I do.
Andra is from New York, though from the ‘burbs and not the city. The South and/or a small town will be different for her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom