Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I expect a battle. MSU has put an L on Oregon two years in a row and they finally have us at home.

Wouldn't surprise me to see State come out slow and get down double digits. Sure hope not, but that's been a bit of a tendency and Oregon can be very good offensively.

Really hope refs let them play unless it's out of control. I worry about foul trouble for T.

Honestly don't have a strong lean either way. Looking forward to seeing what the game tells us about both teams.
Shoes, if you are right I believe we will be in trouble. Get down double digits to Oregon will be tough to overcome. I just can not see getting down double digit to any team if we play D as we can. Think Oregon will be lucky to break 50 in this game, I think our defense is that good!

Reaction Score
I'll take Oregon in a close game, for no other reason than that Sabrina Ionescu is the most competitive person I've seen play women's basketball in a decade. After that loss to Michigan State, Oregon is going to be a very determined team.

Not sure what the answer for McGowan will be defensively, I'm betting Oregon tries to get the ball to Hebard early to see if they can get her tagged with a couple fouls.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Shoes, if you are right I believe we will be in trouble. Get down double digits to Oregon will be tough to overcome. I just can not see getting down double digit to any team if we play D as we can. Think Oregon will be lucky to break 50 in this game, I think our defense is that good!

Oregon is going to score more than 50. Had 79 last year in Starkville. I just hope State gets over 80.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Oregon is going to score more than 50. Had 79 last year in Starkville. I just hope State gets over 80.
This year’s defense is better than last year, so far they are the best defense Vic has had at MSST. Hope that defense shows up tonight, I realize Marquette scored 82 against us but Marquette shot the lights out that night, hope Oregon not that hot tonight!

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
This year’s defense is better than last year, so far they are the best defense Vic has had at MSST. Hope that defense shows up tonight, I realize Marquette scored 82 against us but Marquette shot the lights out that night, hope Oregon not that hot tonight!
We've only played two quality opponents. Can't really judge the D on that, although obviously a Vic D is going to be strong.

Reaction Score

The Marquette game reminded me of the UCLA game last year, but Marquette got super hot from 3 point land. If Oregon gets going with 3s, it could be a long night. I expect a fight, but State's defense does tend to wear teams down by the 4th quarter. I think McCowan (and Howard) gives State the edge, but I won't be surprised if we loose. You just never know sometimes.

I'm not sold on State being a Final 4 team, but a lot can change between now and March. I actually think this team has the pieces, but it hasn't all quite come together yet. The defense struggled mightily against Marquette, which was unexpected for a Vic team. Of course, Oregon's defense isn't great, so there's that too.

Reaction Score
We've only played two quality opponents. Can't really judge the D on that, although obviously a Vic D is going to be strong.

Agree. I don't think the defense this year has proven it's better than last year's when we've only been tested twice. The Marquette game was rough on defense. We really struggled switching on screens. That being said, Marquette bent us to their will, and we still beat them. We played their game and beat them at their own game. So that does say something.

Reaction Score
Woe (yes, pun intended)! Under no circumstance can a BYer say they like Tenn to win!!!!! You may think the "betting" money is right to put down on Tenn but NEVER, EVER write it down on this forum. Isn't that an automatic "report" of abuse?? Where's @HuskyNan when we need her?

LOL Used the word "like" to pick a winner, not to express my feelings about the LV's.

Those who gamble and base their decisions on emotions end up with empty pockets. Tenn has beaten better Stanford teams with worse Vol teams in TBA, which is as much of a factor for them as Maples is for the Trees.

Although I pick the Vols I'll be rooting the other way. ;)

Reaction Score
Shoes, I have watched every game we have played this year. This defense is quicker, faster, and more tenacious than any I have seen. The defense is elite. Watch the players, they are committed, I believe even Vic has been impressed. So far, Marquette is the only team we have played that gave us a game and the Marquette coach in the post game presser stated our defense was unique and caused them real problems. The Southern Miss game, our last, was highlighted by defense. Our defense is getting even tighter. I expect a win against Oregon!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Shoes, I have watched every game we have played this year. This defense is quicker, faster, and more tenacious than any I have seen. The defense is elite. Watch the players, they are committed, I believe even Vic has been impressed. So far, Marquette is the only team we have played that gave us a game and the Marquette coach in the post game presser stated our defense was unique and caused them real problems. The Southern Miss game, our last, was highlighted by defense. Our defense is getting even tighter. I expect a win against Oregon!
OMG!!!!! You have played 1 over-ranked Texas team! And struggled with #18 Marquette giving up 82 points. Elite is not a word you can use yet. Let's review this stalwart schedule the mighty Bulldogs have played, shall we:
1. Direction Missouri who is now 4-6 (for those not used to my snark-SE Mizzou State)
2. An absolutely terrible Virginia team 4-6
3. Lamar (I always think of the Clint movie "Joe Kidd" when I see this school) 6-4
4. Mighty Coppin State 0-9 (wow, you guys must have really been pushed in this one!)
5. Furman 6-4
6. Jackson State 3-5
7. Univ Little Rock 3-6
8. the aforementioned overrated Texas 8-2
9. #18 Marquette 9-2 (definitely the best team on this schedule)
10. Southern Miss. 6-4

This produces a whopping 49-48 opposition schedule. Win tonight holding Oregon under 65 and you can use the word elite. Give up 75, you can use the word "good" for your defense; give up 85 and just realize playing cupcakes only gives you a false sugar high of delusion.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
OMG!!!!! You have played 1 over-ranked Texas team! And struggled with #18 Marquette giving up 82 points. Elite is not a word you can use yet. Let's review this stalwart schedule the mighty Bulldogs have played, shall we:
1. Direction Missouri who is now 4-6 (for those not used to my snark-SE Mizzou State)
3. Lamar (I always think of the Clint movie "Joe Kidd" when I see this school) 6-4
4. Mighty Coppin State 0-9 (wow, you guys must have really been pushed in this one!)
5. Furman 6-4
6. Jackson State 3-5
7. Univ Little Rock 3-6
10. Southern Miss. 6-4

This produces a whopping 49-48 opposition schedule. Win tonight holding Oregon under 65 and you can use the word elite. Give up 75, you can use the word "good" for your defense; give up 85 and just realize playing cupcakes only gives you a false sugar high of delusion.

This year's D is certainly better than just good. My quibble is with calling them better than two teams that played for a NC. Certainly the schedule has been weak, but its not like MSU has played bad basketball vs that schedule. Lead the country in margin of victory.

Should be a great and entertaining game tonight.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
5. Furman 6-4
6. Jackson State 3-5
7. Univ Little Rock 3-6
10. Southern Miss. 6-4

whoooaaaaa hold that thought. I'm not ready to use exaggerating terms like the other guy just yet, but we can only use the word "elite" if we hold Oregon to under 65 points? Come on now, what is that nonsense? Bottom line, it's too early for any such talk, because Oregon will just end up being one game. Whether we hold them to a score we'd like or not.

As for our schedule........ no team has had a mighty schedule yet. Notre Dame has only played UConn and Oregon State. UConn has only played Notre Dame and DePaul. We played Marquette and Texas. All teams have had at least one game where they struggled (UConn had St. John's. Notre Dame had Oregon State. Louisville had Arizona State, Baylor had Stanford, Oregon had.... a few to say the least.) Maybe Maryland hasn't struggled yet, but point is......

star-on.jpg

Reaction Score

I've gotta see them against Oregon before I call them elite. We have the opportunity to earn our #4 ranking tonight. I'm not impressed with us beating Southern Miss by 40. It's easy to look good on defense when the disparity between the talent level is high. I do think we have a really good team with a lot of potential, but I'm not ready to crown them an automatic Final 4 berth. I tend to be very cautious though.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
whoooaaaaa hold that thought. I'm not ready to use exaggerating terms like the other guy just yet, but we can only use the word "elite" if we hold Oregon to under 65 points? Come on now, what is that nonsense? Bottom line, it's too early for any such talk, because Oregon will just end up being one game. Whether we hold them to a score we'd like or not.

As for our schedule... no team has had a mighty schedule yet. Notre Dame has only played UConn and Oregon State. UConn has only played Notre Dame and DePaul. We played Marquette and Texas. All teams have had at least one game where they struggled (UConn had St. John's. Notre Dame had Oregon State. Louisville had Arizona State, Baylor had Stanford, Oregon had.... a few to say the least.) Maybe Maryland hasn't struggled yet, but point is.

View attachment 37508
"Cool it bro"? I don't think so. Your "bro" Jms opened the door by touting "elite defense" when 10 games in your team hasn't played any other top offensive teams to warrant using the term "elite".

So to be clear, I happen to like the bulldogs and think you should be #3 in the polls. I just am not willing to listen to obvious bs about a team being elite on defense on a UConn forum. Go tout that elsewhere if you don't want to be called out. Massey currently has your SOS as #31, well behind the other top teams except for Maryland #91 (as usual with Brenda!) and Tenn #75. Louisville is a bit lame at #28 but that will get better.

#31 and calling your team's defense elite is hogwash at this point. Show us something tonight and I will concur.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
"Cool it bro"? I don't think so. Your "bro" Jms opened the door by touting "elite defense" when 10 games in your team hasn't played any other top offensive teams to warrant using the term "elite".

So to be clear, I happen to like the bulldogs and think you should be #3 in the polls. I just am not willing to listen to obvious bs about a team being elite on defense on a UConn forum. Go tout that elsewhere if you don't want to be called out. Massey currently has your SOS as #31, well behind the other top teams except for Maryland #91 (as usual with Brenda!) and Tenn #75. Louisville is a bit lame at #28 but that will get better.

#31 and calling your team's defense elite is hogwash at this point. Show us something tonight and I will concur.

Ok. Lots of people (not just MSU fans) call us elite or our defense elite so I'm not sure why that statement should feel offhand. Also... if you name us the #3 team it's logical to label a team you personally rank that high as "elite." Our schedule outside of Marquette and Texas is lame, but......, I don't really think any team has beaten a multitude of tough opponents yet. Maybe Stanford is starting to trend that way based on their performance against Tennessee right now (if they can hold it). And there's that defeat of Baylor, but other than that......:confused: UConn has that win against Notre Dame. A great win, but there's a reason Notre Dame is still ranked #2 right now, and the perception is that they're just as good.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Rebounding, good interior offense and "good defense". Plus there's a big dropoff from 1/2 to #3-20...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If Oregon knocks down a lot of threes then the dawgs could be in trouble tonight. We haven't lost a regular season game in a long time...losing one at this time of the year wouldn't be such a terrible thing. We must play the bench more...if that means losing some games during the regular season because we played some bench players extended minutes then so be it...just as long as they have experience heading into the NCAA tournament. I think Jaz played too much in the 4th quarter of the national championship game but there is no question that she and Jordan changed the game when they came in versus Notre Dame. We gonna need Myah Taylor and AEH to have an impact in the NCAA tournament off the bench this season as well.

Reaction Score
I’m going with St. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Vic and his program. I think this team along with Notre Dame are UConn’s only competition this year. Oregon plays no defense and Miss St plays great defense. McCowan and Howard will get every rebound. I don’t think Oregon has the agility or mobility to keep up with the quickness or hustle that St brings.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Any chance this Buffalo-Syracuse men's game actually ends at the top of the hour? I doubt it, I think we'll be missing the beginning of OU-MSU.

edited--6:39 of game clock left in a close game, that's probably gonna take more than 15 minutes

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I called that. About a minute left in this game. Refs reviewing possession on an out of bounds call. Buffalo up 8, but we'll probably see a few timeouts still. This could take another 5 minutes or so.

edited--and FTs
this could drag out indefinitely still

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like they are just announcing starting lineups so we aren't missing any game action.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Any chance this Buffalo-Syracuse men's game actually ends at the top of the hour? I doubt it, I think we'll be missing the beginning of OU-MSU.

edited--6:39 of game clock left in a close game, that's probably gonna take more than 15 minutes

Consolation. Syracuse loses big. :D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Can't be 'pretty ball'. 40 minutes of hell. Vic has spoken

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members