Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18 | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Vic's the best thing since sliced bread....don't believe me? Just ask him...he'll tell ya. No way he's going to change anything. Just like in the 2017 national championship game Morgan William didn't play much in the 4th quarter the very next year in the national championship game Morgan didn't play much in the 4th quarter either...lol

Reaction Score
The results yesterday are not surprising. It is still early in the season. One or two losses against respectable opponents is not going to kill you. I really believe this year the elite 8 and final 4 is going to be extremely competitive. I don't think there is a Power 5 conference where a team is going undefeated (maybe Baylor). Charlie Creme will have a tough time with his bracket predictions this year.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I LED OFF THE MESSAGE BY SAYING SHE CAN SCORE!!!!!! There is more to the game of basketball than just scoring....do you not know that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Teira is the one who hit 22 shots in a row, not Anriel. You said this about T...

Big T is a senior yet she still just throws up garbage when she gets the ball on the post. I'd never give her the ball on the block..just have her try and get put backs on offensive rebounds.

BTW, what's up with all the ?'s and !'s? This is a WCBB thread, not a bar fight.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The results yesterday are not surprising. It is still early in the season. One or two losses against respectable opponents is not going to kill you. I really believe this year the elite 8 and final 4 is going to be extremely competitive. I don't think there is a Power 5 conference where a team is going undefeated (maybe Baylor). Charlie Creme will have a tough time with his bracket predictions this year.
MD has a good shot at running the table in the BIG. After that, ND and MS St both have a chance to finish undefeated in conference play. I don’t see anyone in the Pac12 making it through conference play undefeated.

Reaction Score
Do you mean undefeated IN CONFERENCE play, or Overall? It it's the later, perhaps you didn't see that Baylor lost to Stanford last week?

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
You should have loved this game then. David slew Goliath. Oregon provided the blueprint of how to defeat the dawgs. There were a lot of things that combined to defeat them. Bad calls by the refs not withstanding. Hebard played McCowan tough the entire game.

When was the last time McCowan was held to 5 points? She did not play well tonight. Schaefer’s two best players fouled out. Tonight was just not their night.

I'm surprised the blueprint wasn't already known. The perimeter players for MSU do not compare favorably to the perimeter players that they've lost. Their guard play really just isn't that good. It reminds me of the teams that used to pack it in against Russell because there was no fear that the guards could beat you. Just pack it in and take away McCowan.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I am stunned that Oregon was able to hold McCowan to just 5 points; she was a machine against NC State in last year's Sweet 16. We had no answer for her and she did whatever she wanted inside.

Because last season, MSU had very formidable perimeter players and you could not pack it in and take away McCowan. If a tam had tried the type of defense played by Oregon, Victoria Vivians would have lit you up.

Reaction Score
Just like in the 2017 national championship game Morgan William didn't play much in the 4th quarter the very next year in the national championship game Morgan didn't play much in the 4th quarter either...lol

Remember the 40 pt game she had in the 2017 tournament against Baylor, or the game-winning shot against UConn?

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Last time McCowan got dominated that badly for sure.

That wasn't really the story of that game. Her minutes were limited and teammates didn't get her involved when she was in the game, but 3-19 from 3 pt land by a good 3 shooting team was the story.

Reaction Score
Decided to record this and watch this AM. Sorta wished I had missed the Vic "inspiring" pregame speech. "No pretty ball.... 40 minutes of hell." Yuck! Lost a little respect for him on that one.

He's said that before. He said that about UConn if I remember correctly. For what it's worth, I like pretty ball. That's why I like watching UConn. They're so smooth on the offensive side of things.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I don't know, I thought their loss to SC in last year's SEC tournament was actually worse than this.

In terms of morale breaking and emotional wreckage, I'd agree.... it doesn't come close to last year with SC. This game will be forgotten in March, but still..... just a bad game, period. Oregon played at their best though.... but... this game probably mattered more to them after Michigan St. and SD State than it did us.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If you are referring to UConn, I would suggest that even the Huskies have weaknesses. Whether or not those weaknesses are “exploitable” is a very good question.
Did you ever see the movie "Fightclub"? The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.
The first rule on the BY is: You do not talk about any UConn weaknesses-the Huskies to not have any! The second rule on the BY is: You do not talk about weaknesses...:rolleyes:

You might be put in time out and prohibited from posting...

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
MD has a good shot at running the table in the BIG. After that, ND and MS St both have a chance to finish undefeated in conference play. I don’t see anyone in the Pac12 making it through conference play undefeated.
I will take that bet that MD does NOT run the table.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
this game probably mattered more to them after Michigan St. and SD State than it did us.

Every game matters. Think your ranking dips next Monday? Going into the tournament where do you wanna be, a 1 or a 2 or .... it was a hard fought contest and Oregon put McGowan off her game.

Reaction Score
In terms of morale breaking and emotional wreckage, I'd agree.... it doesn't come close to last year with SC. This game will be forgotten in March, but still..... just a bad game, period. Oregon played at their best though.... but... this game probably mattered more to them after Michigan St. and SD State than it did us.

With Ionescu shooting 5 of 18 from the field that wasn’t close to Oregon’s best. This could have been a blowout.

Reaction Score

Maryland could lose at least one game in the Big 10. I think Michigan State is a strong contender to beat MD at MSU January 17, if they are entirely healthy. They were missing their best player and still managed to beat Oregon at home. MSU does not play at MD.

I think Stanford has the best chance to run the table in the Pac 12, in part because they get Oregon and Oregon State at home and don't have to travel to these 2 schools. However, Stanford could still be upset on the road at Arizona State, and possibly at Cal or at USC (west coast USC). So, I predict the champion in the Pac 12 is still most likely to have 2 losses, as has happened the last several years.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
With Ionescu shooting 5 of 18 from the field that wasn’t close to Oregon’s best. This could have been a blowout.
Umm, I think MSU had something to do with Ionescu being off her game but she impacted it in other ways. She played VERY well and those that continue to say she didn't because they've seen her play better (against less acclaimed teams than MSU!) are not considering what she did do and against this top 5 team. Don't give me that last years Stanford, OSU or other PAC12 team was better than this MSU, they weren't. When she has shot better, it was due to less tenacious defense. I know I was a tad agreesive with some of the over zealous MSU fans who were touting the defenase as elite, which it is not but it is VERY good and better than almost all the other PAC12 teams (maybe OSU).

So my point is -it would not have been a blowout as SI played as well as we all know she could! She is AA worthy! And saying such is denigrating MSU, who I still think is 3, 4 or 5 at worst.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Maybe not, but of the 6 remaining undefeated teams in D1, MD has the weakest schedule left to play.
They have also played a pretty pathetic schedule up to this point as well. Only GT and Georgia are decent. So is it your contention they will run the table or not or are you "walking back the initial suggestion?" :rolleyes:

After Tenn, I think I like bashing MD the best, even more than ND, who I at least respect. Brenda, not so much...

Reaction Score
Don't lump us all together

True. Before the start of year, most of our fans thought this would be a Sweet 16 team, and I'm not sure much has changed since then. A few on our message boards were jumping the gun when we were beating Lamar and JSU by 40, but most people were not buying the goods just yet. All that being said, I still think it's probable we win the SEC and are a 2 seed somewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Maryland played consistently, I would agree they have a chance to run the table in the B1G. However, Maryland can't play to their full potential consistently through a game, let alone through 3 or 4 games in a row from what I have seen. They will lay an egg somewhere along the line if past history is any indication.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They have also played a pretty pathetic schedule up to this point as well. Only GT and Georgia are decent. So is it your contention they will run the table or not or are you "walking back the initial suggestion?" :rolleyes:

After Tenn, I think I like bashing MD the best, even more than ND, who I at least respect. Brenda, not so much...
I think the Lady Turtles go undefeated and end up as the #1 seed in Greensboro.

Reaction Score
I look at the drafting of Alaina Coates at #2(I think) and I look at her riding the bench behind three other players who play her position. Personally to me, she looks like a project.
I caught the Baylor game (loss) and MSU last night (loss) and observed Brown and McGowan respectively.
Why a GM of the W would waste a high pick on these two players doesn't make sense to me. They look like 6'7" projects. Brown at least moves six feet from the rim at times. Conversely, She got hers shot blocked two times against Stanford. McGowan, I have seen Mercedes Russell move faster than her.
Neither of these players , at least this past week, plays like Sylvia Fowles. I know she is a WNBA all star, but Syl plays active defense and moves well. Perhaps Coach Reeves has made her into the star she is today.
MSU fans, what have I not seen from McGowan that you have. Does T have a hook shot? What does T do that is not a put back. Is that enough for a W team?
I am just way curious, that is all. I know she has produced big numbers.I just missed those games.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I watched my DVRed copy of the game and I have not read through this thread (18 pages-wow), so I may be posting the obvious.
Vic should be T'ed up for walking onto the court during play. More than once the refs had to alter their course to get around him.
The refs were terrible.
McCowen gets away with a lot of offensive fouls. I think because she commits them when she doesn't have the ball is why. She is very good at moving her defender by using her butt. And she gets away with leading with her elbows quite often.
Debbie A. is still an SEC homer.
But overall a pretty good game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom