Mississippi St (10) vs Stanford (3) - 11/30/19 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (10) vs Stanford (3) - 11/30/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, we get to see her in a week in Starkville.
That'll be an interesting game. I don't expect it to be close at all. West Virginia just lost to Creighton in Cancun. But it'll still be an interesting watch.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford has an opening next year. Anna would need a wavier to get another year of eligibility because she played in the second half of the season. She had two separate injuries that limited her to only 6 games, which isn't what the injury redshirt rule contemplates.

Predicting what the NCAA will do is never a good idea. But this seems similar to Provo w/ something like 10 games one season and 13 another, she got an extra year of eligibility. 6 games as a Fr. and 21 as a soph for Wilson....but again, never know what the NCAA will do, even when two cases look similar they will have differing rulings.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Kudos to Stanford and Miss St for a good game. Will make each team better in the long run.

Glad I got to enjoy these early season matchups.
This was an amazing day. Extremely rare, if not unprecedented, to have 3 top-10 games in the same day -- even in the NCAA tournament, since Elite 8 games are only two per day.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
The team that took more shots lost all 3 games today.

Oregon took 15 more shots. Mississippi State took 8 more shots. And Baylor took 16 more shots.

All 3 teams that lost had a shooting percentage of 34.2%-34.8% from the field. I find that interesting that 34 obviously was the losing lottery number tonight.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
I understand that it was rivalry weekend in football but they should had the State-Stanford game televised in some manner.
A couple of weeks ago when Bama was playing LSU in football, State drew 7,600 fans for the home women’s game against USM.
That impressive.

I wished I could have watched this game. Tough loss but give Stanford credit. This is a game where a loss can be as beneficial as a win maybe even more so as we can use it as a learning experience to correct somethings and in general improve. Winning sometimes mask where you need to improve.

Reaction Score
I really thought Fingall’s defense on Carter was a big difference in the game. Even though she only attempted one field goal, I still thought she was a game changer. I’m guessing Tara agreed because she didn’t go back to Belibi despite how well she played on offense.

Carter is pretty athletic and mobile for 6-5, but she is weak very raw offensively. She also needs to put some muscle on as Fingall physically dominated her. Promise Taylor will likely never be the player she looked like she could be as a freshman at Ole Miss.

Stanford’s size at the two really bothered Danberry. The Hull’s are really quick, and also 6-1. Danberry had a tough time converting over them.

Stanford had some really nice back door plays. Obviously when a team overplays, back doors are typically open, and it worked well. I had a feeling Tara would definitely do a lot of that on offense given how well it worked against USA.

Rickea Jackson and Haley Jones was a fun matchup. Jones stuffed the stat sheet (led Stanford in points, rebounds, and assists). Rickea Jackson is a really dynamic scorer. I’m a little surprised Vic didn’t go to her more given she was their only consistent scorer.

Both teams have some upcoming games against teams that could challenge them.

Stanford has Ohio State, Tennessee, and Texas. All three teams have some talent.

Mississippi State has WVU and USF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miss state is going to crush WVU and USF. Come on now.

I hope so, but this team makes me nervous. I always knew what to expect from our last 3 teams, but this team has an entirely new look. They're still trying to figure out what they are.

Playing against Stanford was good because it exposed some of our weaknesses. The players will be able to see it in black and white. I really like Stanford's team this year. They are my favorite PAC 12 team.

Reaction Score
Miss state is going to crush WVU and USF. Come on now.
If you watched their game against Marquette, it seems unlikely. They have no great option at either PG or center.

WVU has two dynamic scorers in Kysre and Tynice.

USF contended with Baylor, beat Texas, then had an awful tournament. Not sure what to think about them except that they’re inconsistent. Wish Laksa stayed.

Reaction Score
I have to agree. I won't be surprised if we lose to West Virginia. The team we have feels like a team that could lose to anyone except the true cupcakes like Troy and JSU. The Marquette and Stanford games exposed issues that aren't quick fixes. The team also seems immature at times and lacks that killer instinct and drive to win. Some of that is due to the fact that they are still trying to find offensive chemistry, learn roles, and all pull in the same direction.

Reaction Score
You may be correct, but you just stated that Stanford was your favorite Pac12 team, and we only lost to them by 5 points. The team seems immature at times, because we're playing 5 18-19 year olds on a regular basis. I agree that some of our issues aren't quick fixes, but I trust the coaches to get the team where they need to be by the time SEC play starts, and they'll be competitive and surprise some people come tourney time. I don't agree that drive to win/killer instinct is an issue. We knew the other teams better than we knew this one (so far). We had kids we grew to love on those teams, and this one is still full of new faces. Trust Vic and Johnnie. We'll get there.

Reaction Score
I have to agree. I won't be surprised if we lose to West Virginia. The team we have feels like a team that could lose to anyone except the true cupcakes like Troy and JSU. The Marquette and Stanford games exposed issues that aren't quick fixes. The team also seems immature at times and lacks that killer instinct and drive to win. Some of that is due to the fact that they are still trying to find offensive chemistry, learn roles, and all pull in the same direction.
Guess we see things different. The Marquette game was an away game against a hot shooting team that had an exceptional game from outside. The Stanford game was against an elite team who shoot the ball well from outside. I did not see the Stanford game, not televised, but the team I saw play Marquette never quit, had the drive and desire to win and appeared to me to play better as the game progressed. We do appear to be susceptible to the 3 point shot and in my opinion we will need to vary our defense, some zone, to compensate for the outside shooting for perimeter shooters. I will be shocked and disappointed if we do not beat WVU and USF handily!

Reaction Score
I'd love for that to have been true, but if it was, we would have won by a lot more than 5: we went 26.3% from outside, going 5-19 on treys. That is pretty dang poor, and certainly not "shoot[ing] the ball well from outside."
Know what they say about assuming, well that was me. I did not see the game but assumed Stanford beat us from outside because I know we are susceptible to the 3s, however you guys beat us badly on the boards. Jessica Carter, our main rebounder only got 6 rebounds and we got beat on the boards 51-31. Hope this was just an off night for Jessica but hats off to Stanford, the whole team rebounded well! Still believe we will beat USF and UWV handily and hoping we get another shot at you guys in the NCAA tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom