Miss State Students.... | The Boneyard

Miss State Students....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
....Got the day off today to get ready for the football game vs. LSU

is that the mark of big time college football?

Reaction Score
MSU students got the day off, as in all classes were cancelled, or the players didn't ahve to go to class today?
Players I kinda get.
Student body, I don't get it all. But hey, they will be well oiled by kickoff.

More cowbell!!

Reaction Score
nope.......the ENTIRE student body was given the day off from classes so they could prepare

Reaction Score
that's called a school that doesn't care about academics. that would never fly up here, and would be a terrible idea for UConn.

Reaction Score
It means that they have a fairly large stadium on their campus and a fair number of students outside of dorms. In order to get the crowd in for a weeknight game you have to keep the students and faculty out of the parking lots.

Reaction Score
I have the whole day off tomorrow in perpetration for the game... And I didn't even need UConn's permission!

Reaction Score
I can understand the need for space on campus, but you can easily cancel all classes after 4pm or something like that and have no problem. Thursday late afternoon and night classes, from what I remember, are generally few and far between. This is a clear indication of a school that places little emphasis on academics.

Reaction Score
I hit the return key too soon. I was going to say that this is a reason that many schools with a large on campus stadium and a majority of students living in apartments do not like week night games. I am associated with University of Alabama(was Bamahusky10) and if we ever had a school day game at Bryant-Denny we would be forced to do the same thing

Reaction Score
I can understand the need for space on campus, but you can easily cancel all classes after 4pm or something like that and have no problem. Thursday late afternoon and night classes, from what I remember, are generally few and far between. This is a clear indication of a school that places little emphasis on academics.

Reaction Score
I keep hitting the darn return! Calling off afternoon classes is not an option when you have to get about 120,000 in and out and some like to tailgate. Bryant-Denney holds 105,000 but about 10-15,000 people show up on campus for an important game without a ticket. The university puts up tents and large screens on the Quad sells refreshments, hosts reunions, etc. I know that MissState does not have as large a stadium but their campus is much smaller than UA so 50-55,000 is just a big of a head ache for them.

Reaction Score
Most places the game time or game site would get moved rather than calling off classes. It's academics first, sports is an accessory. In the SEC it's sports first academics is there because the NCAA requires it. Although some of them have found a way around the academics part. Until they got caught.

Reaction Score
Most places the game time or game site would get moved rather than calling off classes. It's academics first, sports is an accessory. In the SEC it's sports first academics is there because the NCAA requires it. Although some of them have found a way around the academics part. Until they got caught.
If that is what you think you really don't get it do you? If there were even a 40,000 seat stadium in Storrs and the BE had scheduled a Thursday night game against, what turned out to be the number 2 school in the polls, Uconn would have to call off classes for two days.

Reaction Score
This is a clear indication of a school that places little emphasis on academics.

It's Mississippi; this surprises you?
And we're not even talking about the "good" university (Ole Miss), it's Miss State.

There's a reason that MS is an economic and educational backwater; the state doesnt give a hoot about education.

Reaction Score
This is a clear indication of a school that places little emphasis on academics.

It's Miss St, what do you expect? Your diploma is basically a participation award as long as you can pay the tuition.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Grantland sucks pretty bad, but the football column has a pretty humorous subsection every week:

Simple Math (or if you went to LSU, Advanced Math — or if you went to Mississippi State, Figurin' You'd Just Assume Not Fool With)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Another MSU line I enjoyed:

Then here came Dan Mullen on a wave of energy and sporting a new-fangled offense and getting all up in Houston Nutt's recruiting grill and generally putting Starkville back on the map. (Not maps of the United States, but at least maps of Mississippi.)

Reaction Score
You guys crack me up. But be careful, we went to a school whose closest neighbors are Coventry and Mansfield. At least Starkville has a 4 lane highway into it. I have been gone for some years but I bet route 195 is still two lanes.

Reaction Score
I've been on business in both Baton Rouge and Knoxville on football weekend Fridays. Work is an afterthought and the towns both basically shut down as folks get ready for the Saturday games. It's understood. Everyone is wearing color, hanging in bars and restaurants most of the day. Lines of cars come down I-10 in convoys from Lafayette with purple and gold flags flying -- a massive flotilla of boats hang out in the Tennessee River all decked in orange---Saturday tailgates are all day with the stadiums full and rocking well before kickoff. There's a frenzy when the bands play the pregame fight songs. It is so freaking different from how we live, that wide gap will never be filled. It's shameful how empty our stadium is for the band pregame, let alone for kickoff and while I'll never stop pushing for perfection, right now I'd be thrilled to have the Rent 2/3 filled by kickoff with fans dressed in any dark color!!

Reaction Score
You guys crack me up. But be careful, we went to a school whose closest neighbors are Coventry and Mansfield. At least Starkville has a 4 lane highway into it. I have been gone for some years but I bet route 195 is still two lanes.

Starkville is 50 miles from the closest Metropolitan Area -- Tuscaloosa AL, a metropolis with 220,000 people.
Storrs borders the Hartford Metropolitan Area, with more than 1 million people.

Reaction Score
I remember two years ago for the Alabama/Texas National Championship game, Alabama gave the students the week off so people could travel and make it out to the game

Reaction Score
Don't forget, in all of these discussions about people showing up days in advance...there's nothing else to do down there!

Reaction Score
I remember two years ago for the Alabama/Texas National Championship game, Alabama gave the students the week off so people could travel and make it out to the game
They weren't already out of school for winter break?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom