Miss State Students.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Miss State Students....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/08/alabama-cancels-classes-duckn_384436.html

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
They have a makeup day later in the year I think.

Reaction Score
Starkville is 50 miles from the closest Metropolitan Area -- Tuscaloosa AL, a metropolis with 220,000 people.
Storrs borders the Hartford Metropolitan Area, with more than 1 million people.

Tuscaloosa has around 100k more people than Hartford. Hartford County only has 877,000+. And Storrs isn't even located in Hartford County, it's in Tolland county, which has a population under 150,000.

Starkville probably has more confederate flags flying, but not by a lot.

Reaction Score
I've been on business in both Baton Rouge and Knoxville on football weekend Fridays. Work is an afterthought and the towns both basically shut down as folks get ready for the Saturday games. It's understood. Everyone is wearing color, hanging in bars and restaurants most of the day. Lines of cars come down I-10 in convoys from Lafayette with purple and gold flags flying -- a massive flotilla of boats hang out in the Tennessee River all decked in orange---Saturday tailgates are all day with the stadiums full and rocking well before kickoff. There's a frenzy when the bands play the pregame fight songs. It is so freaking different from how we live, that wide gap will never be filled. It's shameful how empty our stadium is for the band pregame, let alone for kickoff and while I'll never stop pushing for perfection, right now I'd be thrilled to have the Rent 2/3 filled by kickoff with fans dressed in any dark color!!
100% right on

Reaction Score
Tuscaloosa has around 100k more people than Hartford. Hartford County only has 877,000+. And Storrs isn't even located in Hartford County, it's in Tolland county, which has a population under 150,000.

Did I say County? No.
I said Metropolitan Area (as defined by the US Census). My figures are correct.

Reaction Score
Did I say County? No.
I said Metropolitan Area (as defined by the US Census). My figures are correct.

Did I say your figures were incorrect? No.

I just did what you did. My figures are also correct....as defined by the US Census.

Reaction Score
It's a necessity to shut down campus for an SEC game. LSU had to do it a couple years ago when the Katrina game was postponed from Saturday to Monday. There are more tailgaters on campus 48 hours before game day than the stadium capacity of most northern schools. Even for ordinary weekend games the schools close the libraries and ancillary academic areas.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
You guys crack me up with your elitist attitudes. I've been lucky to get an education in Connecticut, but to see people ragging on a college/university giving a day off from class for a big sports event is laughable. MSU certainly isn't a great school, but giving kids a day off doesn't account for that. It gets hard to read around here sometimes when people take the BC road and say, "UConn (and the Big East) can't compete with the programs in the South because we care so deeply about academics".

Look at Nostical's pace, and you may get an idea of what this is about, to cancel classes. It has nothing to do with whether or not the school is a quality academic institution. Also, which schools Alumni are more likely to be completely committed to their school and booster club? The kid that got the day off to go to the big game.

Reaction Score
The point is, at a more upstanding academic institution, the faculty would not stand for things like this, and would be more inclined to not come to the school or leave their position and go elsewhere.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with them cancelling class. Mississippi State is a terrible school whether they cancel class or not today.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with them cancelling class. Mississippi State is a terrible school whether they cancel class or not today.

That is my point, partly. Also, UConn wouldn't be any less of a school for doing the same thing someday.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Then here came Dan Mullen ...getting all up in Houston Nutt's ... grill .

I suppose that's better than getting up in Houston Grill's nuts

Reaction Score
No, it's not big time football, those games are played on Saturday's only. It's also NOT bad academics, plenty of good academic schools (take UVA) who play on Thursday's do the same for logistics. Tailgater's and fans arrive early and the parking spaces for football are commonly used for commuters too. Until you have an on campus stadium, you don't need to worry about it.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
OK, maybe they shouldn't have cancelled classes....I think this girl could use some more learnin...

MSU_can_not_cont.jpg

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I can't seeing it flying anywhere except the SEC honestly.
I think you are. Money corrupts, for enough $$$ I bet I could get Rentschler changed to BCU Johnson Lover's Stadium.

Reaction Score
Did UConn have classes after the national championship? Just curious, I would think not.

Reaction Score
Well... the NC game I attended finished around 1030 Monday night, so there were no classes offered that late However, I will always remember that classes were not cancelled the following day, because my failure to attend cost me Magna Cum Laude honors the following month.

Reaction Score
Cute girl. UConn used to be one crazy party school back in the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom