Misery still in B12 | The Boneyard

Misery still in B12

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
No change...yet

Trying to negotiate Kansas City as permanent home of Tourney and Champopnship games. Extract longer media agreement

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
Missouri - Update.jpg

In the event Missouri would leave the Big 12, Deaton said he would not have to return to the board for approval. Also, the board indicated it would support a decision to leave the Big 12, if that is what Deaton decides.

Read more: http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2156#ixzz1bRK6b9Oj

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The board also directed Deaton to explore the possibility of an invitational basketball tournament including MU in Kansas City and to explore all efforts to hold a football game in Kansas City against a traditional regional rival.

Sounds like some of the curators are traditionalists and would like to keep some of the old rivalries going after MU joins the SEC.

How antiquated :rolleyes:

If we were to give this period of realignment a title perhaps For a Few Dollars More would be appropriate.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
The Invitationals are to address criticism that the Kansas /Missouri game (the Border War) will be ended. It's hosted at the NFL Arrowhead every year and that the loss of the B12 Basketball Tourney at the SpiritBank Center would be huge to Kansas City.

So they have a couple angles here: one for an SEC move and one for staying in the B12

Reaction Score
sounds to me like both angles are for move to sec.

keep the game against kansas,

and invitational hoop tourney to replace big 12 championship

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is just moving in a strange direction at a strange pace.

I'd almost started to wonder if Missouri had enough support in the SEC to actually move.

If they don't, holy crap, how embarrassing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of if Missouri still thinks the Big 10 is a viable alternative and they want to stretch it out a little more.

Reaction Score
not necessarily. if they get what they want in the negotiations to stay, without the invite from sec, it would be a brilliant ploy.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I'd read it that they can't put any more pessure on the B12 after this. It's all on the table

Deaton is the Single Point of Contact and can sign either B12 Media Rights and/or Tourney Deals with the B12 or the SEC without the Curators. There's no maybe here. If Deaton's on the phone and agrees its done.

We know the answer. WVU to the B12 and the B12 are kicking the tires at BYU, FSU and Lousiville. If BYU or FSU doesn't bite Louisville goes nowhere.

Reaction Score
The Conferate states get the last laugh in college football. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
They are trying to save face with the state legislators who are fretting over the 10s of millions of dollars that the State and Kansas City will lose without the B-12 hoops tourney and potentially without the Kansas/Missouri football game played in Arrowhead. They are also in the cycle for the B-12 championship game should they ever get back to 12 teams. The hoops revenue is estimated at $14 million/year and I would suspect that the football game revenue would be several million for each game.

If I am the University of Kansas or State of Kansas I tell Missouri to find other teams to line their coffers with money. Kansas has no reason to cross the border and play Missouri for the sake of revenues for Kansas City.

Missouri may want Kansas to pull the plug on the rivalry so they don't look like the bad guy. The SEC money may look good to the University of Missouri, but the State of Missouri will likely lose more than the SEC beings the university.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They are trying to save face with the state legislators who are fretting over the 10s of millions of dollars that the State and Kansas City will lose without the B-12 hoops tourney and potentially without the Kansas/Missouri football game played in Arrowhead. They are also in the cycle for the B-12 championship game should they ever get back to 12 teams. The hoops revenue is estimated at $14 million/year and I would suspect that the football game revenue would be several million for each game.

If I am the University of Kansas or State of Kansas I tell Missouri to find other teams to line their coffers with money. Kansas has no reason to cross the border and play Missouri for the sake of revenues for Kansas City.

Missouri may want Kansas to pull the plug on the rivalry so they don't look like the bad guy. The SEC money may look good to the University of Missouri, but the State of Missouri will likely lose more than the SEC beings the university.

Exactly. KU should force their hand. You want to break up, it isn't a friendly break-up. Meanwhile, the Big XII should commit to going to 12 and alternating the championship game between Dallas and Arrowhead. They could do the same for the Hoops tournament, have it alternate. I'd also promise them to extend an offer (again) to Arkansas.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'd also promise them to extend an offer (again) to Arkansas.

What do you do when they say "no thanks" before you finish the first sentence?
"But you don't know that they'd reject joining the Big Twe-"
Yeah, actually, I do know. They would reject it in 4 seconds flat.

Reaction Score
A debate on the Misery board is about loss of revenue for the state, and how to make it up. One proposal was a holiday basketball tourney involving KU, and another football OOC at Arrowhead. Neither makes any sense, but really Misery hasn't made any sense to date. They obviously prefer a B1G invite which will never happen!

Reaction Score
A debate on the Misery board is about loss of revenue for the state, and how to make it up. One proposal was a holiday basketball tourney involving KU, and another football OOC at Arrowhead. Neither makes any sense, but really Misery hasn't made any sense to date. They obviously prefer a B1G invite which will never happen!

Translation: the politicians in western MO are adamently against this because of lost sports revenue in KC. The University is now trying to figure out how to placate them with other events, but they won't be able to do so. You can't simply "replace" the Missouri -- Kansas football game, or the Big XII hoops tourney, with some crappy games no one will travel to see. Mizzou's decision will be (already is) caught up in state politics. No one who doesn't understand Missouri politics has any idea how this will play out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Translation: the politicians in western MO are adamently against this because of lost sports revenue in KC. The University is now trying to figure out how to placate them with other events, but they won't be able to do so. You can't simply "replace" the Missouri -- Kansas football game, or the Big XII hoops tourney, with some crappy games no one will travel to see. Mizzou's decision will be (already is) caught up in state politics. No one who doesn't understand Missouri politics has any idea how this will play out.

Missouri politics...takes me back. Our senior partner when I worked in KC was good friends with (and law school roommate of) Mel Carnahan, the governor at the time. Attended entirely too many fund-raisers, but at least the beer was free. I don't think this one is over yet. It really doesn't make much sense for them to go to the SEC. Mizzou is a more influential school in the Big XII.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere (ESPN I think) that the Big 12 is giving MU until May to sort this out. That seems like an awfully long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom