Mir ? | The Boneyard

Mir ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who would like to see her get more PT? I don't know what Geno knows, but as an outsider, she looks as if she adds a toughness our team doesn't have.

Reaction Score
Mir is 5’11 and her game is inside the foul line.It is tough banging with the big trees at that height.She got away with that in high school.She needs to work on the ball handling skills and shot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would note that when SC was dominating UConn on the boards, Geno put Mir in the game for her first minutes of the season. She only played a couple of minutes, but in those minutes, she boxed out the much bigger Amihere and pulled down a rebound, proving that good rebounding technique and effort beats size.

Reaction Score
Join the club. I do not understand some of the rotation. I mean you have a player like Mir who ain't afraid of going in among the trees to get some rebounds. Sure, she might get into some foul trouble but her, and Nika, brings a toughness that can spark a team. But the Coaching staff knows best. I just sit back and eat pizza and cheer these rascals on.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One thing that bugged me about how Geno managed the PT at the tournament was that the team was gassed in Q4 vs. SC, but in game 1, Evina was in the game till the very end. Mir got zero PT. So apparently either she didn't practice well, or was in the dog house, or some other reason. I get that PT is earned in practice, but what exactly did she do in practice sessions between Minny and SC that earned her a chance to play against SC but not against Minny?

Then suddenly against SC, she's thrown to the wolves - and actually did well.

UCONN was up 30 by the end of Q3 vs. Minny. Yet only Piath got in for 2 minutes. No time for Amari or Mir. It's strange that somehow other top teams manage to find decent minutes for every player, even on teams that have rosters of 14+.

Normally I never criticize Geno (his career record and relationship with most all of his past players speaks for themselves), but if he knew the USF team was "really good" this year, and he ended up playing all the starters not named Edwards 30+ (including Paige 38 minutes), then he made an error in judgement by poor PT management against Minny.

I get that early in the season you want to figure out rotations and how players will work together, but Minny was the closest thing to a cupcake early in the season, and he went back to the same old "only play certain players no matter what".

I also heard from people who were at the game that in Q4 against SC, Geno was all over the players yelling, etc. Then with about 5 minutes left, he just sat down and stopped coaching. He has said that no NC is won during the regular season, so every game is a learning experience. If so, what kind of message does that send to the team? I am sure he had his reasons, but as a fan of the team and the players, I am disappointed.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who would like to see her get more PT? I don't know what Geno knows, but as an outsider, she looks as if she adds a toughness our team doesn't have.
No. You are not alone. I'm a little biased: Mir's my sentimental favorite.

Reaction Score
I also heard from people who were at the game that in Q4 against SC, Geno was all over the players yelling, etc. Then with about 5 minutes left, he just sat down and stopped coaching. He has said that no NC is won during the regular season, so every game is a learning experience. If so, what kind of message does that send to the team? I am sure he had his reasons, but as a fan of the team and the players, I am disappointed.
Maybe Geno was tired? He is almost 70 years old and standing around for hours has to be exhausting. Never mind doing it three days in a row.

Reaction Score
One thing that bugged me about how Geno managed the PT at the tournament was that the team was gassed in Q4 vs. SC, but in game 1, Evina was in the game till the very end. Mir got zero PT. So apparently either she didn't practice well, or was in the dog house, or some other reason. I get that PT is earned in practice, but what exactly did she do in practice sessions between Minny and SC that earned her a chance to play against SC but not against Minny?

UCONN was up 30 by the end of Q3 vs. Minny. Yet only Piath got in for 2 minutes. No time for Amari or Mir. It's strange that somehow other top teams manage to find decent minutes for every player, even on teams that have rosters of 14+.

Normally I never criticize Geno (his career record and relationship with most all of his past players speaks for themselves), but if he knew the USF team was "really good" this year, and he ended up playing all the starters not named Edwards 30+ (including Paige 38 minutes), then he made an error in judgement by poor PT management against Minny.

I get that early in the season you want to figure out rotations and how players will work together, but Minny was the closest thing to a cupcake early in the season, and he went back to the same old "only play certain players no matter what".

I agree completely. Geno has had the luxury in past years to win championships against less talented teams with a small rotation. The talent is spread out now. Stanford routinely plays with 10-12 rotation (though injuries have reduced that). I watch my other team, Colorado, go undefeated so far with lesser talent but frequent substitution allowing fresh bodies to ATTACK on defense, creating 25 plus turnovers a game. It is hard to compare since CU’s victories have come against only two 2021 NCAA tourney teams. As for final five minutes of SC game and much of the Arizona game, it revealed Geno’s major weakness as a game day coach—he has little idea what to do and how to use his bench in a loss, not having experience losses much.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well it could be a couple things. 1 - you're not listening to me, so there is no point in continuing to yell at you guys, or 2 - you guys are going to have to figure some stuff out for yourselves.

There have been a few times in my coaching career (never even close to this level) where I came to a point when I said to myself, well my coaching/yelling/instructing isn't helping anyone, so I'll just shut-up for a while.

Reaction Score
I agree completely. Geno has had the luxury in past years to win championships against less talented teams with a small rotation. The talent is spread out now. Stanford routinely plays with 10-12 rotation (though injuries have reduced that). I watch my other team, Colorado, go undefeated so far with lesser talent but frequent substitution allowing fresh bodies to ATTACK on defense, creating 25 plus turnovers a game. It is hard to compare since CU’s victories have come against only two 2021 NCAA tourney teams. As for final five minutes of SC game and much of the Arizona game, it revealed Geno’s major weakness as a game day coach—he has little idea what to do and how to use his bench in a loss, not having experience losses much.
A Stamford rotation of 10-12 players rotation, paid dividends last years, even with a number of losses . Their lower rating was traded off so that players receive a great deal of experience which in the end, proved fruitful in winning the big 'Championship Game', with a number one rating !

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would note that when SC was dominating UConn on the boards, Geno put Mir in the game for her first minutes of the season. She only played a couple of minutes, but in those minutes, she boxed out the much bigger Amihere and pulled down a rebound, proving that good rebounding technique and effort beats size.
".. good rebounding technique and effort beats size.."
Concur.. I would add.. "can beat size"... Basketballs take weird bounces at times..
Rebounding (aside from size) is a combination of Aptitude and Attitude..
Aptitude - Understanding, based on shot/angle, the probability of rebound "direction " and positioning yourself..
Attitude - Take no prisoners mentality ... can never be overlooked, regardless of size (see: Jamelle Elliott)..
I'm sure that these and many other teachings are the usual with Geno and staff.. Now to execute!

Reaction Score

Yes, he coached a lemon against SC. Misnomer: veteran coaches don't get "smarter", they get more conservative. They get protective of their records, accomplishments, and legacy. They usually got to the top by being innovative and willing to take chances. One thing any person "in command" can never do, ever, is not support your players or subordinates. You've got to "go down with the ship". Who sees that "betrayal" more than anybody including the BY is your star players. PB saw it. Azzi saw it. EW and CW saw it. Geno needs this time to recoup his relationships with his players and staff. Quiet the sarcasm. "Make it simple stupid". Basketball is an athletic, physical sport requiring instinctive, reflexive movements. It's not chess. Let go of the reins. Let your talent play!

Reaction Score
Well it could be a couple things. 1 - you're not listening to me, so there is no point in continuing to yell at you guys, or 2 - you guys are going to have to figure some stuff out for yourselves.

There have been a few times in my coaching career (never even close to this level) where I came to a point when I said to myself, well my coaching/yelling/instructing isn't helping anyone, so I'll just shut-up for a while.
I hope you never did that in the heat of the battle. If you did, I cannot respect that. Change your approach the next day.
Like in a battle, your soldiers are looking to you for what to do. You better give them everything you have to give, win, lose, or draw. Talk about a clue that it's time to retire.
Come on guys. Stop making excuses. If it's a duck, call it a duck. Posters lose credibility with this stuff.
I haven't quit on the team, or Geno, but I have eyes, I know what I see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom