Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread] | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
WOW. My comment was only made to give an example of someone who was a great outside shooter who very rarely took a three in HS.

My response in large part wasn't meant to directed at you but rather at an attitude among many posters here that the be all and end all of a winning team is size. That was the reason for my 5 guard suggestion. So when UConn gets a verbal from someone who resembles Gabby I am excited at the potential. To me though it seems like all I read is "MEH, she ain't 6'5"+" How you can compare Turner to McLean?)Turner was a strong, physical rock of a low post who occasionally went outside for a midrange jumper. McLean will be a hybrid like GWilliams, using quickness and athleticism.

(No, she can't guard Kalani Brown or McCowan.)
The 5 guard thought reminds me of Pat Riley saying the ultimate NBA team was 5 players at 6'7". I thought that's ridiculous. He tried it after Kareem retied and he ended up with SHOWTIME!

Reaction Score
The 5 guard thought reminds me of Pat Riley saying the ultimate NBA team was 5 players at 6'7". I thought that's ridiculous. He tried it after Kareem retied and he ended up with SHOWTIME!
Well to be actual and factual, SHOWTIME reached its pinnacle and flourished while Kareem was still a Laker--they won five titles--and after Kareem retired in 1989, Showtime won zero....

Reaction Score
Riley never tried that after Jabbar. His front court included Divac 7-1, Campbell 6-11, Mychal Thompson 6-10, Perkins 6-9, Worthy 6-9, AC Green 6-9, and Majic was a 6-9 PG.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Mir McLean is not known to a lot of HS basketball fans across the country...................yet. Looking at her block that shot, the girls on the other team found out who she was, as did their parents and coach. That is a hard shot to block, a corner 3. That made me think of that old Johnny Cash tune...."A boy named Sue." Remember the part of the song where he introduces himself to his estranged father.............."My name is Sue, how do you do?".

I have a feeling that Mir will be introducing herself to a lot of teams her freshman year. I love her aggressiveness, and her ability to attack the basket. She's going to spend a lot of time at the stripe. :p A block like this one will probably make the evening news (maybe Sports Center). So folks in the local viewing area will find out quickly who Mir is.

Tip in.......................I miss ol' Johnny C, he was one of my favorite country/western artists. :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mir McLean is not known to a lot of HS basketball fans across the country....yet. Looking at her block that shot, the girls on the other team found out who she was, as did their parents and coach. That is a hard shot to block, a corner 3. That made me think of that old Johnny Cash tune...."A boy named Sue." Remember the part of the song where he introduces himself to his estranged father...."My name is Sue, how do you do?".

I have a feeling that Mir will be introducing herself to a lot her freshman year. I love her aggressiveness, and her ability to attack the basket. She's going to spend a lot of time at the stripe. :p A block like this one will probably make the evening news (maybe Sports Center). So folks in the local viewing area will find out quickly who Mir is.

Tip in........I miss ol' Johnny C, he was one of my favorite country/western artists. :(

ohhhh if she were only 6'3' any of UConn's rebounding issues would disappear............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Looking at Mir's team mate crying and crying I'm reminded of Stef: " I'm an emotional person. I like to cry."

Reaction Score

she's going to be fun to watch....................................I hope she's working on a 10-15 foot jump shot to keep defenders honest...........................only scoring on layups will be far more difficult at the next level at least against the good teams...................

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
she's going to be fun to watch......I hope she's working on a 10-15 foot jump shot to keep defenders honest.......only scoring on layups will be far more difficult at the next level at least against the good teams....

No doubt Geno and staff have already told her what areas she needs to improve in (and what they want her to work on) this upcoming season. I’m confident they’ll have her ready to begin her freshman year, and continue to hone her skills to improve her overall game.

Right now, she's a block of soft unrefined clay sitting on a pottery wheel that is "primed and ready" to be molded by Geno and staff over the next 5 years.

She's a player they want to work with and develop. She's a player that WANTS to be a part of that program, wants to be coached by Geno, and wants to carve out her own legacy at an elite program. Fear not, Mir will do well under Geno's tutelage. She too wants to be great. ;)

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ohhhh if she were only 6'3' any of UConn's rebounding issues would disappear..
I have to admit I am bit disappointed in so many of these posts still bemoaning a height issue. Anriel Howard was only 5’11” and she was a phenomenal rebounder and good scorer at this next level. Body control, positioning, timing and savvy are far more valuable than size most of the time. Big, strong, basketball savvy players are few and far between despite teams getting 6’4” players. Having a slow, questionable hands, woefully out of shape big does not help UConn (think Erin Degrate).
Give me players like Mir, Gabby and Meg every day and twice on Sunday! :cool:

Reaction Score
I have to admit I am bit disappointed in so many of these posts still bemoaning a height issue. Anriel Howard was only 5’11” and she was a phenomenal rebounder and good scorer at this next level. Body control, positioning, timing and savvy are far more valuable than size most of the time. Big, strong, basketball savvy players are few and far between despite teams getting 6’4” players. Having a slow, questionable hands, woefully out of shape big does not help UConn (think Erin Degrate).
Give me players like Mir, Gabby and Meg every day and twice on Sunday! :cool:

I agree if we're talking about some non athletic 6'4" post vs McLean but there are a few 6'2"- 6'4" recruits who have athleticism and in a game of match ups that additional size can be a difference maker

Reaction Score
Nice. Good to see her going up against some big players and winning.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Mir doesn't have a lot of luck with referees. Called for a foul on a great block in the second clip.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mir doesn't have a lot of luck with referees. Called for a foul on a great block in the second clip.

I dare any zebra to call a foul on either of those blocks once Geno is Mir’s coach...:eek:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I did not know she was on our Radar and had an offer? I guess I have alot to learn about her through the BY.

As of August 2018 she had lots of offers, but not from UConn.

Yeah, there is Louisville, Tenn, Miami, USC, NCS, SYR etc etc etc. Wonder when she got the offer? Bueckers to McLean may get to be a quite usual refrain along with Mclean cleans the boards! Imagine if she played with sneakers on?!

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Baller just put this up yesterday, but if it's a repeat (recruiting thread or ...), better a repeat than a miss right?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unlike many of the top UConn recruits, Mir did not start dribbling 2 basketballs at age 3. Indeed, she came to the game relatively late. I found another local article that added a little more to when it was UConn caught her eye:

"I really started watching them two years ago when they had Gabby. I would hear, 'Oh, UConn won again. They won again,' and I'm like, 'Goodness gracious!'" McLean said. "So I started watching and it started to be apparent why they were winning and how they were winning, and I kind of liked that."

She didn't think UConn had much interest in her. But:

"Even with all her success, McLean never expected to catch the eye of UConn and legendary head coach Geno Auriemma, who came to see her play in person last season before offering her a scholarship.

"My high school coach didn't even tell me he was coming," McLean said on Glenn Clark Radio July 2. "I was kind of in shock. I didn't think [UConn] was serious."

Another role model for her: Angel McCoughtry

Good article: For Roland Park Basketball Star Mir McLean, UConn Commitment A Dream Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom