Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We now know some of the other schools that were in on Ms Mclean, unless I missed this reported elsewhere.

McLean, an athletic 5-foot-11 wing, declined offers from South Carolina, Miami and NC State.

@RockyMTblue2 reported it a few days back.
Always like to find these ... finally, a local Maryland article on Mir's commitment.

"By the end of a thorough recruiting process, Roland Park basketball standout Mir McLean came to a simple conclusion in why she committed to perennial national power Connecticut.

“It’s a successful program and I don’t like to lose,” the Reds rising senior forward said."

And the question about who her finalists were is answered!!

"She selected Connecticut, which has won a record 11 NCAA Division I national championships under longtime coach Geno Auriemma, over South Carolina, Miami and North Carolina State. Last season, the Huskies made their 12th straight Final Four appearance, falling to eventual runner-up Notre Dame.

“I was looking at Connecticut for two years and have liked [former Huskies standout forward] Gabby Williams for a while. It feels good, a big relief, and I’m just excited and glad I was able to stick to my decision,” said McLean, who is joining Paige Bueckers, the No. 1 overall recruit in the country, in UConn’s 2020 recruiting class."

Roland Park basketball star Mir McLean commits to national power Connecticut

Reaction Score
Ohh my God!! You've got to be kidding?!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said I'm thrilled to have her and she could develop. You keep trying to put words in my mouth. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get the idea I wasn't thrilled to have her? Are you suggesting only big time scorers are worthy of being lauded?

I said Mir didn't take ONE SHOT from outside 5 feet. I also said I saw her just once. Others can add more. But you cant go and twist what i saw. I saw Stewie take Two shots outside the lane (and I provided it to you) and I saw Mir take none. YOU said to some extent - big girls don;t go outside and shot when their strength is inside -- I told you I think you're wrong. I used Cochran as an example.

I said I'm thrilled to have Mir and hope she can develop and maybe get an outside shot yet you are giving me heavy sarcasm?!!!!!!!! . But please stop trying to put words in my mouth. Stop saying "what I would probably think YEARS AGO." I showed you what I would think by telling you the story of Cochran and showing you Stewie took shots outside the lane and Mir hasn't. Stop trying to twist my post in what you think I would have said years ago ot fit your narrative. Stewie and Cochran I've seen take outside shots. Show me a game vs her peers/simalr talent level she takes outside shots just as I've shown you Stewie and COchran have. And please read ALL of my posts on this thread not the parts you want to pick and choose a sentence. I said Mir could be AWESOME defensively and I said if Faris can shoot well from 3-- who knows maybe Mir can too. It's almost as if you are trying to equate my comments in which I'm saying she has shown she doesn't have a mid-range game from the 1 game I saw - as if I meant she stinks. If you think that you basically ignored my Faris comment along with how thrilled I am of her potential great defense AND I included on my 1st post she could flourish playing with Paige. I brought that up because I have some excitement!! Further if you read -- you would have sen how excited I am of having her

Here are some of my comments it seemd you ignore din order to bash me: 1- if Mir isn't really a scorer she could still "flourish." 2- she can create some offensive chaos in the paint though teams with good quickness from their "very big" bigs will probably be able to neutralize that aspect. 3- I described parts of her game she is better than BT. 4- IMO an exciting point about her is what I've sort of didn't want to see in the past but between her and Griffin and Paige, and Evina, and Megan and CWill - we have the type of team that could press. 5-- f her lateral quickness matches her hops and her arms -- look out. 6-- I're saying she has the lateral quickness - to me that is huge -- if she has it as you say- I'm super excited, whether she becomes a/a or not have to see her progress. But just super excited about her quickness.

Is it because I said she isn't a big time offensive weapon yet? I mean Gabby wasn't early. Many players aren't. But you choose to ignore my comments regarding Faris and its hard to tell how a player will develop? I hope my post isn't construed as I'm an angry poster going back and forth with you. I'm just very confused by your fight with me with your heavy sarcasm. Heck I got a lot of likes and I think Coco might have posted he or she agreed with most of what I said. And SLu posted highlights and even then we don't see Mir taking a mid-range shot (Yet I see Stewie when she was a sr). Show me some vids otherwise believe her when she says that's a part of her game she needs to work on. Apparently she said she wants to be like Gabby. Gabby was not known for her shooting outside the paint. Are you going to twist that into I think Gabby stunk too? I don't understand your sarcasm coming at me, Oh well - whatever.

WOW. My comment was only made to give an example of someone who was a great outside shooter who very rarely took a three in HS.

My response in large part wasn't meant to directed at you but rather at an attitude among many posters here that the be all and end all of a winning team is size. That was the reason for my 5 guard suggestion. So when UConn gets a verbal from someone who resembles Gabby I am excited at the potential. To me though it seems like all I read is "MEH, she ain't 6'5"+" How you can compare Turner to McLean?)Turner was a strong, physical rock of a low post who occasionally went outside for a midrange jumper. McLean will be a hybrid like GWilliams, using quickness and athleticism.

(No, she can't guard Kalani Brown or McCowan.)

Reaction Score
IMO most people on here are looking for a point of reference of what Mir is now vs what we know of past UCONN players. For example-- Gabby and Tamika lived in the paint as scorers (Gabby hit an occasional jumper) and were undersized. While Turner took many more outside shots than either in college. I think most posters want to know right now at this moment what is she more like? Who knows what she'll become? And i don't know what she'll develop into for offense also. Look at Kelly Faris - she couldn't shoot early in her career and by her sr year she was a very good 3pt shooter yet Gabby could never shot from 3. And she wasn't that great of a mid-range shooter. She was awesome inside.

Right off the bat you start wanting to compare McLean with past UConn players. Do you? No. You compare McLean as a rising senior in HS to players you remember best as senior college AA's. I watched UConn when TWilliams was a freshman and same with GWilliams but I'm certain that I didn't see either before their senior years of HS. If you insist on making comparisons then compare them at the same points in their careers. You also compare McLean as a HS junior with Barbara Turner as a college senior (I don't think Turner was ever a "freshman".:) And Turner is nothing like what I have seen of McLean. Turner overcame her lack of physical biggness with mental bigness and incredible strength. McLean uses her leaping ability and quickness.

My personal feeling is that comparing new recruits with past players can be fun but it is unfair when everyone remembers Jefferson, Charles, G Williams et al at their best as seniors. They don't remember how they all struggled for their first 2 years. Even Stewart had a rough first season, confused at both ends of the court despite some brilliant moments. Then they compound it by comparing them to high school juniors. Geno, when comparing Bueckers with Taurasi was reported as having told the Hopkins coach that she was ahead of Taurasi AT THE SAME POINT IN THEIR CAREERS. I wish more would do the same.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
UConn has added possibly the most athletic players in each of last two classes with Aubrey Griffin and Mir McLean.
Maybe Geno is channeling Tom Landry (and probably everybody since) and the old Dallas Cowboys: Best available athlete.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno is channeling Tom Landry (and probably everybody since) and the old Dallas Cowboys: Best available athlete.
Ahh. For those "mature" enough to remember Tom.

geno_channel_landry.jpg

Reaction Score
WOW. My comment was only made to give an example of someone who was a great outside shooter who very rarely took a three in HS.

My response in large part wasn't meant to directed at you but rather at an attitude among many posters here that the be all and end all of a winning team is size. That was the reason for my 5 guard suggestion. So when UConn gets a verbal from someone who resembles Gabby I am excited at the potential. To me though it seems like all I read is "MEH, she ain't 6'5"+" How you can compare Turner to McLean?)Turner was a strong, physical rock of a low post who occasionally went outside for a midrange jumper. McLean will be a hybrid like GWilliams, using quickness and athleticism.

(No, she can't guard Kalani Brown or McCowan.)

Now I'm more confused. But that's okay. We're both excited that we got an athletic freak. As I said a while back, it's the 1st time in a long time that I'm excited that UCONN can apply fullcourt pressure and sustain it. Though I don't know if they'll do it.

Reaction Score
Right off the bat you start wanting to compare McLean with past UConn players. Do you? No. You compare McLean as a rising senior in HS to players you remember best as senior college AA's. I watched UConn when TWilliams was a freshman and same with GWilliams but I'm certain that I didn't see either before their senior years of HS. If you insist on making comparisons then compare them at the same points in their careers. You also compare McLean as a HS junior with Barbara Turner as a college senior (I don't think Turner was ever a "freshman".:) And Turner is nothing like what I have seen of McLean. Turner overcame her lack of physical biggness with mental bigness and incredible strength. McLean uses her leaping ability and quickness.

My personal feeling is that comparing new recruits with past players can be fun but it is unfair when everyone remembers Jefferson, Charles, G Williams et al at their best as seniors. They don't remember how they all struggled for their first 2 years. Even Stewart had a rough first season, confused at both ends of the court despite some brilliant moments. Then they compound it by comparing them to high school juniors. Geno, when comparing Bueckers with Taurasi was reported as having told the Hopkins coach that she was ahead of Taurasi AT THE SAME POINT IN THEIR CAREERS. I wish more would do the same.

Of course this is just my opinion.

We can agree to disagree. For discussions on this board-- yes you do. And i think that was the question the poster put forward/ what he or she wanted to know (I know it's something I want to know for players I haven't seen for example.). Ninety-nine percent of us have not seen them play in h/s other than a game or two. We only see because of this site. I think most people want to get an" idea" (broad generalization) what the player is right now at this moment. Before the player comes-- I want to have an idea which player she will most likely be like. I want a vision of the future.

Geno can make comparisons h/s to h/s but because all of us aren't Geno (with his eye for the game) and it shouldn't force us to not make our own comparisons. IMO the way you want to look at it and by bringing up Geno - then no one should be allowed to ever make any comparisons because every player is uniquely different in their own way. For example one could say "Well you can't compare this player to this because this player was hurt." Or "This player had to score more." Or "This player played in a different era." Or "This player didn't get the same minutes because of strength of the team."
To what level are we "allowed" to compare even if it is sr vs sr? For example one could take the pov that you can never compare even their athleticism Gabby to Mir because they could possibly describe how they are different types of freak athletes. For example one is better off of two feet vs one is much better off of one. One has more power one has more quickness. One has longer arms etc.

IMO I think most people are looking for "generalizations" as I am. If you want to be that specific of h/s vs h/s -- okay it's what you want to read about. I would love it but if we don't have that then what the next best comparison? With me and I think most of us on here - want to know who the h/s player "reminds me of" as of right now. So if you want to compare h/s vs h/s -- okay that's your "thing." As a broad generalization as to who a h/s player at this moment reminds me of-- I will always look at the point of reference of a UCONN college player. That's my thing and the majority of others I believe.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Hey, it's the boneyard. If the recruit isn't a top 10 kid or 6'-7" then they are chopped liver. ;);)

Reaction Score
Well, I saw McLean shoot from outside the foul line and I saw her on the perimeter on offense. She does play down low in a 2-3 zone but the label of "inside only" doesn't seem to fit.

Reaction Score
Well, I saw McLean shoot from outside the foul line and I saw her on the perimeter on offense. She does play down low in a 2-3 zone but the label of "inside only" doesn't seem to fit.

Great!

Reaction Score
I think from an overall comparison standpoint, she is closer to Anriel Howard than Gabby Williams. She doesn't appear to have Gabby's ball handling or passing skills that Gabby had. From a UConn standpoint, Gabby Williams is a good comparison though.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Free stream of Mir's Team Takeover squad taking on the NJ Sparks.

Geno was there watching Mir. I just hope she got permission to land.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations Mir!! UConn Nation welcomes you!! I am looking forward to watching her play. She is from my area, the DMV. With UConn moving back to the Big East, I will be able to catch more games.

Reaction Score
I think from an overall comparison standpoint, she is closer to Anriel Howard than Gabby Williams. She doesn't appear to have Gabby's ball handling or passing skills that Gabby had. From a UConn standpoint, Gabby Williams is a good comparison though.

I have yet to see her play but it sounds like she might be a three inch taller version of Mikayla Coombs with a better inside game...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom