Miller´s Pro Prospects | The Boneyard

Miller´s Pro Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Curious where people see Shonn playing next year and in the future. I imagine his shooting stroke and athleticism has caught the attention of some scouts lately. Love the spring in his step. When he pump fakes and reaches for the tin he can really glide through the paint. Too bad he doesn´t have a few more inches on him. I really hope he continues to play well...seems like a great kid.

Reaction Score
His biggest issue is that he's a tweener. That isn't as big a deal in today's NBA but I think he'll have to spend some time overseas tightening up his handling and shooting if he wants a shot at the NBA.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't watch much NBA, but I think his only chance would be to play the 4 in the NBA, and I don't think he's strong enough to do that. He can try bulking up to get stronger, but then it would likely negatively affect his athleticism and mobility, so I'm not optimistic about it. I would love to be proven wrong, though, because he's very skilled on the low block.

Reaction Score
Love the kid but none. Look at the 4's now and even the 3's in the game. So big, ability to score from anywhere and guard large people. If he were 3-4 inches taller I'd give him a shot at least but as mentioned the tweener thing kills him unfortunately.

Reaction Score
The NBA is trending towards small line ups, that makes him fit to play the 4 in the small ball ball style. He's not a sure thing for the NBA but he will make a lot of money playing basketball.

Reaction Score
As explosive as he is in college. And his outstanding back to the basket moves. It seems like he's in slow motion when executing those moves. Yes, he takes his time and is deliberate but not sure he gets that time in the NBA nor the ability to raise over defenders with such ease. I'm sure he would adjust his game.

Reaction Score
At 6'7" (if that is his real height) he is a little small and slender to play the 4 in the NBA and he may not be able to shoot well enough to play the 3. Paul Silas was an undersized 4 for the Celtics and was an important contributor off the bench so you never know. Europe may be a better option for him but whatever happens Shonn will be able to make a good living playing basketball.

Reaction Score
It all depends on how hard the kid works. He's got the tools and basketball IQ to make it to the next level...just needs to polish up his game. At this point in his career he reminds me of a much more athletic Draymond Green, and look what he's doing in the NBA now.

Reaction Score
Two guys who I think Miller compares favorably to that have managed to find a niche in the NBA are Dante Cunningham and Lance Thomas, Miller is a much better college player than Thomas was and is on par with the kind of player that Cunningham became his last year at Nova. He's much more explosive than both but also about an inch/inch and a half shorter, with his frame and athleticism he's gonna get a look from somebody for at least the summer, very interested to see how he performs in that setting and if he can turn some heads.

Reaction Score
It all depends on how hard the kid works. He's got the tools and basketball IQ to make it to the next level...just needs to polish up his game. At this point in his career he reminds me of a much more athletic Draymond Green, and look what he's doing in the NBA now.
Can't compare him to Green, Green was hitting 38% of his 3s on over 3 attempts a game, and was a better rebounder, scorer and passer. The same point forward type stuff and distributing that we see from Green for GSW is what he was doing for MSU.

Reaction Score
Love the kid but none. Look at the 4's now and even the 3's in the game. So big, ability to score from anywhere and guard large people. If he were 3-4 inches taller I'd give him a shot at least but as mentioned the tweener thing kills him unfortunately.
They actually guard and play defense in the NBA? Who would have thunk it.:p

Reaction Score
Can't compare him to Green, Green was hitting 38% of his 3s on over 3 attempts a game, and was a better rebounder, scorer and passer. The same point forward type stuff and distributing that we see from Green for GSW is what he was doing for MSU.

Yeah I agree as far as style of play they are pretty different. It's funny to me how differently Shonn is used from his last year at Cornell to now at Uconn. Just the difference in 3s taken is pretty crazy.

I think what I meant to say was if Shonn worked extremely hard in the off season, and when i say extremely hard i mean EXTREMELY hard, he could have a similar draymond green story from college to the NBA. No one would have predicted Draymond's success in the NBA, he had an unorthodox imbetween PF/SF body type, and no one fully knew how it would transition into the pros and what position he would end up playing.

Shonn has a nice shooting stroke so I don't see why he wouldn't be able to polish up an effective 3 point shot and play SF. What is the game changer is tightening up his ball handling.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I like Miller a lot and I believe that in time, with the right organization he could stick on a roster as a fifth forward.

If people associated with an NBA team saw him as a more athletic Draymond Green or even someone similar to Kawhi Leonard, he would be a lottery pick. In reality there is a strong likelihood that he won't be drafted.

Reaction Score

The point forward aspect is huge for Draymond and that label in no way can be attached to Shonn. In Green's junior and senior year he was a 4apg game. Miller has 15 total assists in 28 games this year. Miller would have to show significantly more perimeter game and better rebounding skills to make an NBA team.

Reaction Score
He'll make much better money in Europe than he could as borderline/15th man in the NBA. He'll be on a top-tier Euroleague team shortly.

Clear skillset, athleticism, and IQ. If he was 4 inches taller he'd basically be Al Horford. But, he's not.

Reaction Score
He'll make much better money in Europe than he could as borderline/15th man in the NBA. He'll be on a top-tier Euroleague team shortly.

Clear skillset, athleticism, and IQ. If he was 4 inches taller he'd basically be Al Horford. But, he's not.
Or Emeka.

C

Chief00

At 6'7" (if that is his real height) he is a little small and slender to play the 4 in the NBA and he may not be able to shoot well enough to play the 3. Paul Silas was an undersized 4 for the Celtics and was an important contributor off the bench so you never know. Europe may be a better option for him but whatever happens Shonn will be able to make a good living playing basketball.

When I saw "Big Paul" Silas as oppose to "Small Paul" Westphal some good memories came back - Silas was a true student of the game - I always admired how he would subtlely back in from the baseline under the basket to get an offensive rebound - he later was an NBA coach. He would also feel his defender on a box out so he would know exactly where his opponent was. Paul would also know how to step away when someone was backing him down and expecting a counter force. Often the opponent would fall off balance or travel. Silas knew all the tricks of the trade - a type of guy who could teach our bigs a lot. Just saying!

Reaction Score
Emeka compared to Horford? Huh

Horford is 1,000 times or more better NBA player than Okafor ever was. I give credit to him for getting a max. deal, how many guys that never made an AS team or won a playoff series get that?

Not sure about his health but I think it's more about the style of the NBA today you can't be 6-9 with zero handle or mid-range game

Amazing that CV is still in the league and BG and EO aren't

I like Miller a lot, he could kind a fit in the new small ball world if he improves his handle and works hard on his perimeter game. I agree, my first reaction is he is a tweener and to small to play a 4 and doesn't have skills or quickness to play a 3

Or Emeka.

Reaction Score
They actually guard and play defense in the NBA? Who would have thunk it.:p

Why do people think there is no defense in the NBA? Okay, the continuation rule makes fouls look like a lack of defense, and there are certain people (JHarden) who are known for their terrible defense...

But if there was no defense in the NBA, Jimmer Freddette would be a lights out shooter averaging 25 a game and not surviving on his first 10 day contract of the season.

And regarding Shonn, his play could be similar to a Michael Kidd-Gilchrest with the proper toughness and mindset. Granted, he doesn't have the athletic explosion or speed that MKG has (which is scary), but he could definitely be a kid that has the physical tools to make it. I think he would be a star overseas though.

Reaction Score
My guess is he'll play in the summer league and ultimately play overseas.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I can't really see any situation where he'd be drafted. He may be one of those guys who works his way up to the NBA a la Kevin Ollie or Jeff Adrien though. I think the more likely case is that he'll play overseas and be a dominant force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom