MilfordHusky reporting from London | The Boneyard

MilfordHusky reporting from London

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw part of the women's marathon this morning, then headed to an exhibit on the Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary. Next, a London pub for fish and chips, a pint of Guinness, and Andy Murray playing Roger Federer for Olympic gold at Wimbledon. The crowds were insane! Then, we did a quick spin through the National Gallery. Such a magnificent collection in rooms that would be gorgeous without any art. After that, I strolled to Big Ben an Buckingham Palace, taking loads of pics. I'm back at my hotel, just read the great game thread, watching track and field, and will head to the Original Hard Rock for the 100 meter finals. Regards to all. I have the quarterfinals in basketball and more beach VB in 2 days. Tomorrow is an off day, so some sightseeing and shopping.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I saw part of the women's marathon this morning, then headed to an exhibit on the Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary. Next, a London pub for fish and chips, a pint of Guinness, and Andy Murray playing Roger Federer for Olympic gold at Wimbledon. The crowds were insane! Then, we did a quick spin through the National Gallery. Such a magnificent collection in rooms that would be gorgeous without any art. After that, I strolled to Big Ben an Buckingham Palace, taking loads of pics. I'm back at my hotel, just read the great game thread, watching track and field, and will head to the Original Hard Rock for the 100 meter finals. Regards to all. I have the quarterfinals in basketball and more beach VB in 2 days. Tomorrow is an off day, so some sightseeing and shopping.

What a wonderful day! Enjoy so i can enjoy vicariously with you!

Reaction Score
Thanks for being the Boneyard's "eyes" in London...sounds like you're having a great time/experience! Love to see some photos when you get a chance, and they don't have to just be sporting events.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'd love some observations about the cultural aspects of the games. When I was last in London the nights were filled with incredible drinking, and lots of sick drunks. It sounds as if the city is cleaned up a bit, which would be great! Hope you get to hear some great choral music!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'd love some observations about the cultural aspects of the games. When I was last in London the nights were filled with incredible drinking, and lots of sick drunks. It sounds as if the city is cleaned up a bit, which would be great!
That was because Milford had not arrived yet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The experience has to be priceless.

Yeah, but everything else is expensive. As my son noted, it's like NYC prices, only in pounds (meaning 57% more at today's rate).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tomorrow is a busy day: men's triathlon, men's and women's beach VB, and 2 women's basketball quarterfinals. The U.S. plays in the afternoon (London time). I have the late games.

The women's triathlon was amazing--the Swiss woman won in a photo finish. Two hours of swimming, biking, and running, and the margin of victory was 0.1 second. The Hyde Park venue is beyond cool. There were reports of high algae counts in the Serpentine, but I didn't see any athletes with slime on them. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More detail on Sunday's marathon. I understand that NBC showed it live at 6 AM ET.

Good race! The course was a 2-mile loop followed by 3 repeats of an 8-mile loop. The runners got to see lots of landmarks 3 times, plus Parliament and Buckingham Palace 7 times each. They ran through at least two arches 3 times each.

It was mid 60s and wet at the start and rained some on and off. After a little while, a pack of about 10 moved to the front. The Americans looked good. The pack then shrank to about 6. By 18 miles, the Americans were a little ways back. The lead pack was down to 4 by 24 miles-- 3 medalists and 1 nonmedalist. There were 2 Kenyans, an Ethiopian, and a Russian. The Russian had tried to break away, but the Africans reeled her in. One of the Kenyans dropped back in the last mile. Then the Russian dropped back. At that point, it was a Kenyan and an Ethiopian. Then the Kenyan dropped back. But the Ethiopian kept looking over her shoulder and the Kenyan closed, but couldn't catch up and finished 5 seconds back. The winner was just over 2:23, breaking the Olympic record from Sydney by a few seconds. The Russian held on for third. The Americans, Flanagan and Goucher, finished 10th and 11th, 2-3 minutes back.

As we know, host nations tend to "over perform" relative to other years. Britain may be way beyond that. Saturday was their best day of track and field ever: golds in the men's 10,000 meters, women's heptathlon, and men's long jump. The stadium and entire city were insane. The Brits are excellent at rowing, sailing, and cycling. All the strong performances have boosted British pride considerably.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The triathlon results: GB, Spain, GB. Brothers with Olympic medals. A very large and loud Hyde Park crowd. Viewing was tough, but I was able to see the swimmers and bikers. Saw the running on the big screen in the park.

Beach VB at Horse Guards Parade in 90 minutes. The U.S. Golden Girls have the 2nd match.

Then out to Olympic Park for Row 4 seats for the WBB double-header. I'll be watching the future silver Medalists. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow! I was one of the last people out of Olympic Park last night after watching an exciting women's basketball doubleheader. Russia edged Turkey in the last seconds to advance, and undefeated France came back from 12 down to win in the last minute. The morning started in a crowd of 250,000 or so at Hyde Park for the Triathlon. The Fabulous Bakerlee Boys earned gold and bronze, much to the delight of the crowd. But the highlight of the day was screaming as loud as possible to help the Golden Girls, Misty and Kerry, come from 5 points down to beat an outstanding Chinese duo 22-20. They followed that up with a game in which they led most of the way, but fought off game point to win 22-20 again. After the match, Misty ran around the entire court and high-dived everyone in the first row. They go for a three-peat of gold in the next match and a continuation of their love fest with the crowds.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow great stuff Mil. When you go to the games, I think you said you wear UCONN garb, but do you paint your face at all? Bring a flag or signs, or wear a USA hat? I'm just trying to decide if you are only a UCONN fan, or if you are a USA fan... ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow great stuff Mil. When you go to the games, I think you said you wear UCONN garb, but do you paint your face at all? Bring a flag or signs, or wear a USA hat? I'm just trying to decide if you are only a UCONN fan, or if you are a USA fan... ;)
Had a red and blue USA 2012 windbreaker last night. Covering all bases. :)

Sorry, no hat or face painting. Last night: Row 4. Tomorrow: Row 115. :(

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I forgot to mention that I am staying at the same hotel as the FIVB. Lots of foreign refs. I've had breakfast with them every morning. One morning they were watching and debating replays.

There is a nice Hilton about 2 blocks away, across from the Four Seasons. Not sure who is staying there, but the sidewalk is fenced off, the road is barricaded, and there are lots of guys with heavy artillery out front.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
SPOILER ALERT

I just got back from the Back Room at the Hard Rock, just down the street. I watched the second half of the men's basketball game. The U.S. was up by 7. Then Durant got hot from 3-point range, hitting 3 in a row. LeBron did his thing. In the fourth, Carmelo hit 3 straight from deep in about 1 minute. The rout was on. The U.S. won by nearly 30.

I missed the first half looking for a bar showing something other than track and boxing after I got back from the volleyball venue at Earl's Court. Brazil was utterly dominant over Italy. (This should have been the U.S. v. Brazil.) The place was beyond rocking, filled with fans wearing green and yellow, waving flags, playing musical instruments, and cheering. And there was a group of 3 superheroes and a gorilla cheering for Brazil too.

Brazil won 25-21, 25-12, and 25-21. Italy repeatedly tried to spike the ball from the edge of the court. Big mistake! Brazil had 3 blockers there with huge mitts (think an ursine VBer) at least a foot over the net and won the point every time. The serves were over 120 kph. I saw men's VB in Sydney in 2000, but the demonstration of power tonight was startling. A fun event. Look for Brazil to be very tough in this sport in 2016 in Rio!

Additional thought on the end of the match. On Tuesday, I saw Misty and Kerry come back from 6 points down in the first set and fight off set point in the second. Absolutely clutch! Tonight, not so much. The Italians got a good start in the third and led much of the way. Then it looked bad for them as Brazil passed them. But the Italians rallied to get within 23-21. Then their execution went into the toilet. Serve into the net. The bottom of the net! 24-21, Brazil serving to win the match. Medium paced serve that the Italians choose to let go. Problem! It lands in bounds by a foot. Match over. Ugly, ugly finish.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks to all the folks who read my random ramblings. It was great being in London, period. The Olympics added a special flavor. Watching the triathlons in Hyde Park was amazing. So was watching the marathons along the Thames. The two most exciting events in person were both semifinals: Misty and Kerry coming from behind to beat the Chinese and the U.S. coming from behind to beat Australia. I was as loud as I can be exhorting both teams to focus and dig a little deeper. The result was 3-time Golden Girls: Misty, Kerri, Tamika, Sue, and Diana. Priceless!

Off to Heathrow in an hour or so and back to normalcy tomorrow. Damn!

JS

Reaction Score
Safe trip home, old chap. Thanks for your good reporting.

Richard Engel from Syria, you from London. Some correspondents will brave anything to get the story out.

Your bonus check will be waiting for you -- a hefty percentage of your regular pay.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Safe trip home, old chap. Thanks for your good reporting.

Richard Engel from Syria, you from London. Some correspondents will brave anything to get the story out.

Your bonus check will be waiting for you -- a hefty percentage of your regular pay.
I appreciate the board's generosity. Can I get that in pounds?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I appreciate the board's generosity. Can I get that in pounds?
They are probably already hanging around your belt after a week in British pubs feasting on beer, bangers and mashies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom