Mike Rehfeldt Returning to Cincy | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mike Rehfeldt Returning to Cincy

Reaction Score
Dan H is a vortex of phrenic activity wrapped around a cult of personality. He needs a squad of lemonade drinkers. There are a lot of folks that just can’t operate as super-pumped, genuflecting cogs in the dream factory. Steve Jobs was a classic, as is Elon Musk. They burned/burn through people like tissue paper. That said, it’s a high risk strategy that can be extremely effective if the cult leader has the right vision and can constantly pull the right strings. But, for every iconic success, there are thousands of crashes and burns.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed in the press release was that his title at Cincy now is not specific to the bball program. He may have an expanded role to cover other sports? I'm sure Fickell needs the help(lol), but his title doesn't look to be specific to bball as it once was.

Reaction Score
I'm a casual participant.

Buffalo is the "Queen City" not Cinci-tucky. F Cincy.
About Cincinnati:

"And this song of the vine,
This greeting of mine,
The winds and the birds shall deliver
To the Queen of the West,
In her garlands dressed,
On the banks of the Beautiful River."

Catawba Wine - Henry Wadworth Longfellow

Reaction Score
Some interest narratives here, but it’s the off-season. What else is there to do? He lost coaches before because they could move up to better programs and make more money (Murray to Towson, Murray to Xavier, ARD to Clemson, Bobby to a head coaching job, etc). You can think whatever you want, but guys keep coming back to play for and work with him (Luke, Eric, Chris, etc.).

The Alosi hire was messed up. He likes giving people second (third?) chances but not everyone is deserving. I think the best strength and conditioning coach he had was Daniel Marshall at URI. He got him in with the university and Marshall earned promotions until he was able to be full-time with basketball... the changes in players over those four years was phenomenal. He and his wife left to go home to Arizona when Dan left URI (Marshall has been at ASU with the other one since then). Marshall knows Rehfeldt, which was a help when Dan targeted him last year. This last year was a rough one to break into a new market in the notoriously tough field of sports media. Props to Cincinnati, though. They did the right thing in taking the hit with Brannen, moving any slower could have set the program back really far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dan H is a vortex of phrenic activity wrapped around a cult of personality. He needs a squad of lemonade drinkers. There are a lot of folks that just can’t operate as super-pumped, genuflecting cogs in the dream factory. Steve Jobs was a classic, as is Elon Musk. They burned/burn through people like tissue paper. That said, it’s a high risk strategy that can be extremely effective if the cult leader has the right vision and can constantly pull the right strings. But, for every iconic success, there are thousands of crashes and burns.

You're talking about two of the most notoriously people of the 21st-century.

Dan Hurley is not that guy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Did you really mean "phrenic?"

Reaction Score
This is not good.

There is a disconnect here in who Hurley is hiring and how they perceive Hurley and the long term potential at UCONN and the effect that has regarding their work relationship with him.

Hurley goes out of his way to hire mercenaries and they drop him at the earliest convenience.

They view Hurley as a stepping stone and not a destination. This is a problem.

Bring back Glenn Miller.
This board is deranged. Good god. It's the S&C guy. They move around all the time.

Reaction Score
This last year was a rough one to break into a new market in the notoriously tough field of sports media.
regardless of the reason, the hits keep coming to the staff with the 4th and 5th most important positions both vacant. hopefully the 4th most important position is filled this week

Reaction Score
I would add to the notion that this is family related. His wife is from the west side of Cincinnati, which is even a little more noted to have the folks who would be more likely to be home sick rather quickly. She went to college on the west side even.

Reaction Score
This board is deranged. Good god. It's the S&C guy. They move around all the time.
I would add to the notion that this is family related. His wife is from the west side of Cincinnati, which is even a little more noted to have the folks who would be more likely to be home sick rather quickly. She went to college on the west side even.

This homesick guy with a homesick wife moved his family from Cinci to UCONN during the summer of 2020 during a pandemic when the world was literally sick.

Middle aged people who are that connected to their hometown don’t leave halfway around the country during a pandemic for the exact same job with the same pay as what you are already doing and have been doing for many years to quickly uproot and go back.

In less than 1 year we have stay at home dad Freeman and return to home Rehfeldt deciding to bounce.

Reaction Score
This is not good.

There is a disconnect here in who Hurley is hiring and how they perceive Hurley and the long term potential at UCONN and the effect that has regarding their work relationship with him.

Hurley goes out of his way to hire mercenaries and they drop him at the earliest convenience.

They view Hurley as a stepping stone and not a destination. This is a problem.

Bring back Glenn Miller.
Actually this was one of the stupidest posts I have ever read on the boneyard. Hire back Glenn Miller? Has Covid 19 made you go insane!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Middle aged people who are that connected to their hometown don’t leave halfway around the country during a pandemic for the exact same job with the same pay as what you are already doing and have been doing for many years to quickly uproot and go back...without a very good reason.
FIFY

TRY THIS:

He disliked an apparently quite dislikable guy so much that he left working under him after one season, and jumped at the opportunity to return home as soon as the opportunity presented itself, perhaps as he'd negotiated with a spouse who gave up her own good job to support him.

During the time away, he got himself a good job and performed it well.

Reaction Score
FIFY

TRY THIS:

He disliked an apparently quite dislikable guy so much that he left working under him after one season, and jumped at the opportunity to return home as soon as the opportunity presented itself, perhaps as he'd negotiated with a spouse who gave up her own good job to support him.

Maybe he doesn’t know Brannen got canned for being a horrible and dangerous jerk, whose practices were literally putting players at risk. Seems like the kind of thing a strength and conditioning coach would be opposed to. Also, spouses careers can be important, too. She’s been covering the Bengals from Connecticut, which was oddly easier this past year when nothing happened in-person, but we hope that’s changing.

Reaction Score
FIFY

TRY THIS:

Maybe he doesn’t know Brannen got canned for being a horrible and dangerous jerk, whose practices were literally putting players at risk. Seems like the kind of thing a strength and conditioning coach would be opposed to. Also, spouses careers can be important, too. She’s been covering the Bengals from Connecticut, which was oddly easier this past year when nothing happened in-person, but we hope that’s changing.

The reason Rehfeldt came to UCONN was because he was trying to get his wife into ESPN and a better gig. It didn't work. Now he went back to Cinci. I think Mike is a great strength and conditioning coach. This has nothing to do with John Brennan.

Mick Cronin knew this already, which is why Rehfeldt is not in LA.

This is about Hurley and going out of his way to hire mercenaries who drop him at their earliest convenience, which is not surprising. The approach to hiring new staff needs to be better. You don't hire a coach at UCONN for the men's basketball program from halfway around the country where he has been working at for a decade whose only coming to your neck of the woods to sponsor his wife for a job.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
The reason Rehfeldt came to UCONN was because he was trying to get his wife into ESPN and a better gig. It didn't work. Now he went back to Cinci. I think Mike is a great strength and conditioning coach. This has nothing to do with John Brennan.

This is about Hurley and going out of his way to hire mercenaries who drop him at their earliest convenience, which is not surprising. The approach to hiring new staff needs to be better. You don't hire a coach at UCONN for the men's basketball program from halfway around the country where he has been working at for a decade whose only coming to your neck of the woods to sponsor his wife for a job.
Go away!

Reaction Score

This is about Hurley and going out of his way to hire mercenaries who drop him at their earliest convenience, which is not surprising. The approach to hiring new staff needs to be better. You don't hire a coach at UCONN for the men's basketball program from halfway around the country where he has been working at for a decade whose only coming to your neck of the woods to sponsor his wife for a

What @Banta55 said. ?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
What I liked most about Coach Mike was how he frequently posted progress updates, before & after photos and the like on Instagram. That and how he calls the gym the Monster Factory.
Sarcasm? Cause that schit sorta disturbed me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Attachments

• EaHq9UMWoAYbXYJ.jpg
    EaHq9UMWoAYbXYJ.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 120
Reaction Score

The ESPN thing would make sense. It’s a rather strange thing though with the west side here in cincy…. I’m looked at as crazy by family because I decided to live on the east side of cinci on moving back to the area after being gone a decade. I’ve known people to get home sick simply living more than 20 minutes from their childhood home here. I could definitely see the “homesick” or “east coast what were we thinking” type of vibes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom