Mike on why ND will win Nat. Championship | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mike on why ND will win Nat. Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I stopped reading Mike's article when he said

"Notre Dame has emerged as the favorite to win it all."

I don't understand this at all. The same with the posters wbbfan and tomcat for suggeesting this or similar as well. When it comes time to place bets- I'm with many of you - injuiries excluded form this point- give me the Huskies as a dog. I'm in on that. It's just mind-boggling to suggest otherwise.

Reading some of the posts here on this thread that Mike spoke of a Big 3 for each team - right there---- I cringed. How can anyone not beleive UCONN without KML still doesn't have a "Big 4?" I mena it's okay if you just didn't watch UCONN much. But Mike has I guess. So why did he say it? Agent Provacatuer or just doesn't understand what he is seeing?

And again from what I read from posters, Mike is using ppg as a definign stat from players he rates 4-7 or 4-8? Really? Really? Really? Really????? Is that what he is doing? So he exlcudes KML (and excludes Tuck) and then he is not taking into account that Stokes/Mo Jeff/Chong/Banks may pick up more of the slack?? Does this seem like someone that is being fair?

Also- what do the stats show when the top player in coming into the Finals - actually loses that Championship Game? Other than 1 year - for us- we always had at least the top player, right? So if the top player is playing her best game/naame, aren't odds in her team's favor to win? Which is why it's so puzzling that someone from UCONN such as Mike would ignore this, and UCONN fans such as wbbfan and tomcat - I'm puzzled why they would think otherwise.

It's okay if you think ND can win on your gut feeling and/or you think refs may play a big factor because of the way ND plays - or other gut feelings etc okay. But to say - "they will be favorite," or "have emerged as the favorite,"---- --- huh?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I gave up on Mickey D when he said a few years back that attendance was declining because fans did not see enough white faces on the court. Remember that folks?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There was a highway board recently that was promoting the US/Canada hockey games. It was labeled "Loser takes Bieber!" Sadly, we are now stuck with Bieber.

Can't we make some similar arrangement with Massachusetts for Mikey.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think another point to follow is ND is increasingly relying on Lloyd to do the brunt of the scoring, like Stanford relies on Chiney and Baylor relies on Sims. And Achonwa's scoring has seemed to decrease per game. Is this trend going to continue? If so, it could spell big trouble for ND. Their scoring is not as balanced lately as it was earlier in the season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think another point to follow is ND is increasingly relying on Lloyd to do the brunt of the scoring, like Stanford relies on Chiney and Baylor relies on Sims. And Achonwa's scoring has seemed to decrease per game. Is this trend going to continue? If so, it could spell big trouble for ND. Their scoring is not as balanced lately as it was earlier in the season.
But they can shoot the three and that can make them dangerous. Of course, live by the sword, die by the sword.

Reaction Score
Hey Mike,

Just answer one question........How many ND players will need to guard Stewart in the attempt to take her out?

Reaction Score
Our best players have more experience than their best players and also have already won a national championship. Plus, our point guard is playing like an All American. They are trying to replace Diggins. We can talk all we want but time will tell.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hey Mike,

Just answer one question...How many ND players will need to guard Stewart in the attempt to take her out?
He'd have no problem with that one, since there would be 5 Irish players on the court, so the answer is 5. They can do a credible job if they band together to keep her from getting the ball once the no-depth UConn team somehow has 8 players foul out as many of the prognostications here seem to be suggesting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Back in the '60s as a Dodger fan it was frustrating to have Stratomatic baseball games with certain Red Sox fans who only wanted to use the batters' cards for games between the two teams, while I only wanted to use the pitchers' cards.

Indeed, the Huskies are built around their defense, and if you do not devote 50% of your analysis of a UConn match-up with another team, it has little worth. This year's team is just fractions of a point or percent behind the 2009-10 team for the all-time NCAA best in scoring and FG% defense, and they are far ahead of an Irish team that in its last eight games has given up 83 points to MD and 72 to Georgia Tech.

The teams have had three common opponents (PSU, MD, Duke), and interestingly all six games have been away games for the Huskies and Irish. ND scored more than UConn but also gave up far more points. UConn's average margin was 19.3 (75.3 - 56.0) while ND's was 11.3 (84.0 - 72.3).

The 8 point difference is also around the margin that Massey and Sagarin have UConn over ND. But the question is, are they more knowledgeable than Mikey D?
I liked this post just for the Stratomatic reference.

For what it's worth, I see ND as the biggest potential obstacle to #9. I feel like we'd win against them not because of any inherent shortcoming they have. They are a very good team. I just think that we're better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom