Mike Elston ND DL coach... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Elston ND DL coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Edsall had D Brown
No he did not. Edsall had Todd Orlando before leaving UConn. Don brown was the defense coordinator with the previous Maryland head coach. Don brown left after Edsel become head coach and was hired by Coach P.

Reaction Score
That's your opinion, others may disagree with you. P didn't inherit any established QB's or RB's, Diaco won't have that same problem, and our returning WR corp is better than it has ever been.

Say what? Coach D is not inheriting any noteworthy running backs. Pains me to say.

Reaction Score
Say what? Coach D is not inheriting any noteworthy running backs. Pains me to say.
McCombs, and Delorenzo will be a nice, complimenting 1,2 punch if utilized correctly. McCombs should not be used in any short yardage rushing situations. He should spread out to create mismatches against LBers. We will see what Mariner and Newsome bring, and who knows what the kid that got in trouble (Joe Williams) will even be on the team.

Reaction Score
Edsall had D Brown

How do you know we don't have multiple NFL players on our defense?

The new coach needs to coach them up just like Don Brown did. Nobody knew Smallwood, and Gratz were NFL players when P took over and most would have said Trevardo Williams was too small. Smallwood never played a down for Edsall.

Warde is on record saying he expects to win next year. I agree with him.

It is not very common to have 6 NFL players starting on your D. Unless UConn is the new Alabama, your expectations are set very high. Kendall Reyes, Sio Moore, Yawin Smallwood, Dwayne Gratz, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Trevardo Williams are not coming through that door, at least all together. And if they are, then UConn is about to go 12-0.

Reaction Score
McCombs, and Delorenzo will be a nice, complimenting 1,2 punch if utilized correctly. McCombs should not be used in any short yardage rushing situations. He should spread out to create mismatches against LBers. We will see what Mariner and Newsome bring, and who knows what the kid that got in trouble (Joe Williams) will even be on the team.

Believe me, I would like to think so. Both can be solid in spurts. DeLorenzo should never be taken out at short yardage, he just has a great ability to square up his shoulders and fall forward. In games in which he averaged more than 10 carries, DeLorenzo's yards per carry average was 3.49. McCombs averaged McCombs is probably best suited as a complementary back with 10-12 carries a game.

I am not commenting on the unknowns yet, as I have not seen them, or enough of them, to form an opinion.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
No he did not. Edsall had Todd Orlando before leaving UConn. Don brown was the defense coordinator with the previous Maryland head coach. Don brown left after Edsel become head coach and was hired by Coach P.

welcome

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's an interesting excercise comparing by position what what BD inheirits vs. what P inheirited.

QB - Better for BD
RB - worse
WR - better
TE - worse
OL - worse
DL - worse
LB - worse
CB - worse
S - worse

K - worse unless Puyol is lights out
P - worse
KR - worse
PR - worse

That said, I still think he wins more than the 5 games P won.

Reaction Score
Believe me, I would like to think so. Both can be solid in spurts. DeLorenzo should never be taken out at short yardage, he just has a great ability to square up his shoulders and fall forward. In games in which he averaged more than 10 carries, DeLorenzo's yards per carry average was 3.49. McCombs averaged McCombs is probably best suited as a complementary back with 10-12 carries a game.

I am not commenting on the unknowns yet, as I have not seen them, or enough of them, to form an opinion.
One kid I'm excited about is soon to be RS frosh Josh Marriner.. That's the guy I'm excited about. Hope he steps up and becomes our future lightning to Delorenzo's thunder...

Reaction Score
One kid I'm excited about is soon to be RS frosh Josh Marriner.. That's the guy I'm excited about. Hope he steps up and becomes our future lightning to Delorenzo's thunder...

I really liked the high school highlight reel. We really need Marriner or Newsome to be a solid contributor next year.

Reaction Score
I really liked the high school highlight reel. We really need Marriner or Newsome to be a solid contributor next year.
re-watching Ansonia's state championship game vs. Woodland now... Newsome's special... but, the game speed at the FBS level is a lot different than what he sees now... wouldn't be mad if he redshirted a year... he'd be that much better when his time comes in '15...

Reaction Score
re-watching Ansonia's state championship game vs. Woodland now... Newsome's special... but, the game speed at the FBS level is a lot different than what he sees now... wouldn't be mad if he redshirted a year... he'd be that much better when his time comes in '15...

That would seem to be an unknown, the level of competition. But his instincts and strength and the fact that EVERYBODY has been trying to stop him pretty unsuccessfully for 3 years tells me to give him the benefit of the doubt. Actually it's not me that really has any doubts, that's for others to decide. I think he could start off as a KR and be a step up from what we've seen almost right away.

And try not to judge too much from that one game. He was "just great" against Woodland but conditions were far from ideal. I wonder how you really get up for these games against teams you've beaten and are almost a lock to beat again. It was over before halftime.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My guess is ND offered him something to stay as in more responsibility and maybe a different title.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting excercise comparing by position what what BD inheirits vs. what P inheirited.

QB - Better for BD
RB - worse
WR - better
TE - worse
OL - worse
DL - worse
LB - worse
CB - worse
S - worse

K - worse unless Puyol is lights out
P - worse
KR - worse
PR - worse

That said, I still think he wins more than the 5 games P won.

How is RB worse for BD? P inherited a 160 pound McCombs as his best back, BD has a 180 pound McCombs plus Max, plus Marriner, and possibly some really good newcomers. RB is significantly better now.

And QB is by far the most important position on any team so you would really need a weighted average with significant weight added to QB. BD is inheriting better safeties as well.

Reaction Score
Elston turned us down? Didn't know he had an offer. Narduzzi turned us down without actually having an offer too. Didn't HCBD say he was going to start the process on Monday? It's Saturday.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
How is RB worse for BD? P inherited a 160 pound McCombs as his best back, BD has a 180 pound McCombs plus Max, plus Marriner, and possibly some really good newcomers. RB is significantly better now.

And QB is by far the most important position on any team so you would really need a weighted average with significant weight added to QB. BD is inheriting better safeties as well.

The McCombs P inherited was much better than the one BD is. They say RB's have only so many carries in them, I fear Lyle's odometer has turned over which is not surprising given his frame and he number of carries he's had.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
So nobody wants to talk about elston turning us down?

Not surprising either. I doubt Kelly was going to allow his entire staff to depart. I just hope BD doesn't reach too far on his depth chart of friends to fill out his staff. There are quality guys out there that he may not know personally. I would expect him to follow a process similar to Warde's.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The McCombs P inherited was much better than the one BD is. They say RB's have only so many carries in them, I fear Lyle's odometer has turned over which is not surprising given his frame and he number of carries he's had.

This is absolutely FALSE!

The issue was not that the McCombs that PP got was better. The issue was that the OLINE that PP got was much better. Foley was still in charge of it. In 2012, when Foley was ousted to make way for Curious George and the Zone Blockers, our running production dropped by almost half. It's also no surprise that once Foley got the OLine back,McCombs went off for 164 yards on 20 carries.

If you expect me to believe that the difference between McCombs' freshman and sophomore years were because of wear and tear, I've got some land to sell you in the Everglades...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom