Mike Dimauro on the draft | The Boneyard

Mike Dimauro on the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Link

My guess is that most of the name callers here have never read a DiMauro column.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Link

My guess is that most of the name callers here have never read a DiMauro column.
Oh give me a fricking break. A "DiMauro" column. Yeah, we know you love to pull out the occasional "nice" Mikey piece right after he returns from his Mr. Hyde pieces. We get it, you love him. Madly.

But there's still a big bunch here that can remember all of the racist-baiting, WCBB-snitting, Husky-bashing crap that he throws out there to get in the news and twit UConn fans. You're free to love it. No one ever said he only posts the flamers, as I doubt the Post would keep him on if that was all he ever did.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Dobbs - he doesn't write for the Post, he writes for the New London Day..nor, does he write for the UConn PR office.

If you're going to only remember his stuff that disagrees with your beliefs, then, yes, he'll make you unhappy. He has challenged whether the fanbase is color-blind. He doesn't blindly support WCBB, nor the University, nor the program, nor the fandom. I happen to believe that he supports all four, but not blindly, not wearing rose-colored glasses. There are warts, flaws, and room for improvement in all of them and all of us.

But, that's not all he writes - he also writes some very thoughtful, sympathetic and supportive columns.
As I said above, if you only remember the stuff you disagree with, he won't make you happy. But, then again, neither will anybody else.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I count Mike as a friend. We exchange emails privately. He is conscientious, thoughtful and utterly candid. Occasionally controversial, even provocative, but never hypocritical or insincere. He is dedicated to his craft and I respect him even when we disagree. And he remains my friend.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Oh give me a fricking break. A "DiMauro" column. Yeah, we know you love to pull out the occasional "nice" Mikey piece right after he returns from his Mr. Hyde pieces. We get it, you love him. Madly.

But there's still a big bunch here that can remember all of the racist-baiting, WCBB-snitting, Husky-bashing crap that he throws out there to get in the news and twit UConn fans. You're free to love it. No one ever said he only posts the flamers, as I doubt the Post would keep him on if that was all he ever did.

Apparently you are one of those that doesn't read DiMauro. You don't even know what paper he writes for. That's a lot of hate you are spewing for somebody so poorly informed.

He simply asked a question - Is Faris what the Sun need? If you were a Sun fan you would probably say no. The Sun needs a power forward to replace Jones. Fair enough to disagree with him, but why the bile?

Then he committed the mortal sin. He called Faris a "B- shooter". That's probably what pissed off most of the collective but was he wrong? How do you grade a "shooter"?

Shooting percentage? Points scored? Points per game average? Remember, DiMauro said nothing about any other facet of Faris' game.

Faris shot 53% this year. She was 2nd on the team. That's really good. Unfortunately she didn't take enough shots to be ranked by the NCAA. That alone has to detract from her shooter grade. She scored 399 points, 4th on the team. If we consider the team's top scorer (KNL) as the gold standard, an A+ shooter, doesn't that put Faris somewhere below A+ since she scored but 60% of an A+? We can look at Faris' ppg average. At 10.2 she was 4th on the team. Very good, especially for a player not known as a scorer. Unfortunately, her ppg average was much lower than the cutoff for the NCAA scoring stats (top 250). Again, shouldn't that lower a scorer's grade.

Last time I looked a B- was pretty OK. Especially for a student (player) not praised for their academics (scoring).

The response to DiMauro (was it a tweet) was so predictable that it was actually pretty funny. Almost like reading the Summitt.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Prins is not likely to make the Sun roster. I expect them to trade for a big.

Reaction Score
Prins is not likely to make the Sun roster. I expect them to trade for a big.

Prins may not make the roster, but trade what for a big? There's nothing on the current roster to trade. And pulling a Thibault and trading away next year's 1st rounder isn't a great idea in a reasonably deep draft plus the odd chance the Sun fall apart this season.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
What he said was "B-minus shooter at best." (A gratuitous comment that was uncalled for.)

I don't mind Mike. He is very opinionated ala Jeff Jacobs, Rick Reilly, etc. IMO, they all can be "jerks" at times but that's what they get paid to do.... Stir the pot and attract comments, page hits and quotes.

My sense is Mike has had it in for the Sun since his good bud, Mike Thibault, was let go. I suspect we may see other pieces in the future questioning decisions by the Sun organization.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Dobbs - he doesn't write for the Post, he writes for the New London Day..nor, does he write for the UConn PR office.

If you're going to only remember his stuff that disagrees with your beliefs, then, yes, he'll make you unhappy. He has challenged whether the fanbase is color-blind. He doesn't blindly support WCBB, nor the University, nor the program, nor the fandom. I happen to believe that he supports all four, but not blindly, not wearing rose-colored glasses. There are warts, flaws, and room for improvement in all of them and all of us.

But, that's not all he writes - he also writes some very thoughtful, sympathetic and supportive columns.
As I said above, if you only remember the stuff you disagree with, he won't make you happy. But, then again, neither will anybody else.
He does write some nice pieces, yes. But he sometimes goes off on an unexplainable rant that borders on a tantrum. Through the years threads have appeared on the Boneyard critical of DiMauro and at least a couple of times that I can recall, he's called-out specific Boneyarders by their handles to make condescending or insulting comments towards them. These were football board posters, btw. The fact he feels the need to respond to Boneyard criticism is puzzling. I've heard from other columnists from the Connecticut press corps and no one else has lost their tempers in such a childish manner as DiMauro.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I've heard from other columnists from the Connecticut press corps and no one else has lost their tempers in such a childish manner as DiMauro.

I know of one from personal experience.

Reaction Score
He does write some nice pieces, yes. But he sometimes goes off on an unexplainable rant that borders on a tantrum. Through the years threads have appeared on the Boneyard critical of DiMauro and at least a couple of times that I can recall, he's called-out specific Boneyarders by their handles to make condescending or insulting comments towards them. These were football board posters, btw. The fact he feels the need to respond to Boneyard criticism is puzzling. I've heard from other columnists from the Connecticut press corps and no one else has lost their tempers in such a childish manner as DiMauro.
..um Dez Conner, anyone?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Me think the man doth protest too much. DiMauro is the most defensive sportswriter I have ever read. Too often it is not Mike's opinion but how he says it. Nan's assessment was pretty much spot on.

Reaction Score
Prins may not make the roster, but trade what for a big? There's nothing on the current roster to trade. And pulling a Thibault and trading away next year's 1st rounder isn't a great idea in a reasonably deep draft plus the odd chance the Sun fall apart this season.
I believe Renee has some trade value.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In a full- length explanatory column, he didn't say who he thinks the Sun should have drafted instead of Kelly. Without that information, his argument is wind without content.

Yes, the Sun desperately need a wing who can score, but KML was not available when the Sun were drafting. So who did he have in mind?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
At the

At the very least, it looks like the Boneyard has pushed his "drama button."

I think that's a two way button. Who drama'd first? And over what?

Reaction Score
I think that's a two way button. Who drama'd first? And over what?

You could see it that way, I guess. I just find that in some of his pieces (not all), he uses an inflammatory tone to incite a reaction. As another poster said, it's not so much what he says, but how he says it.

And I get that it's his opinion, and he's allowed to have his opinion, and he's allowed to write about his opinion in whatever way he deems fit. And so when he does that, and he gets the reaction I am sure he was expecting, I find it amusing that he feels the need to defend himself in such a sarcastic, overly-dramatic way. That's all.

At least he amused me. I needed to be amused today.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
[

At least he amused me. I needed to be amused today.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics