Mike Crispino To Be New Radio Voice For UConn Football, Men's Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Crispino To Be New Radio Voice For UConn Football, Men's Basketball

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
What's this? A radio NETWORK????

These maybe weak little AM stations, but at least its a patchwork that can only help. I know I'll enjoy rolling it over to AM 1490 when too lazy to set up the various radio apps.

The New London and Brookfield stations are indeed podunk, but WICC coming back on the network is a big deal.

Those with HD radios can assumingly get WICC on WEBEHD2, too, which is even better. (Yes, I'm a nerd)

Reaction Score
I’m probably in the minority, but I’m happy there was a change. Crispino has a good voice, and is from the area. I’ll think he’ll do just fine.
Yup. I like his voice too.I'm not sure how much radio he's done, because it's a little different describing what's going on in front of You on the radio, than just doing play by play on TV that everyone can see.

Reaction Score
What's this? A radio NETWORK????

These maybe weak little AM stations, but at least its a patchwork that can only help. I know I'll enjoy rolling it over to AM 1490 when too lazy to set up the various radio apps.
FINALLY a station in southern Fairfield County/Westchester. It will be nice to be able to turn on terrestrial radio in Port Chester to hear the game.

Reaction Score
Does Crispino color his hair? I think so.

mike-crispino-1-385x385.jpg

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Haven't spoken to Mike in a few years. He was really good at Channel 30 and went to MSG network and has been doing St John's games. He is pretty good and I think we will all be happy. Change sucks when you are used to announcers- but it happens and as a fan we adjust.

Having Wayne Norman back helps with familiarity and from the sidelines - on radio - I don't really care.

Reaction Score
Joe D. was in the Phil Rizzuto, Johnny Most style, terrible radio voice, great homer, always passionate. Maybe that style is old school. I liked it, but I'm willing to give Mike a chance.

Maybe Mike will start using phrases like "Holy Cow", "That Huckleberry", and talk about his daughters (Penny, Pat, Cyndy) during the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup. I like his voice too.I'm not sure how much radio he's done, because it's a little different describing what's going on in front of You on the radio, than just doing play by play on TV that everyone can see.
Beyond Crispino's several decades of well respected sports radio & TV experience covering football and hoops, performing a LOT of both radio and TV play-by-play and color commentary, he's covered a bushel load of other sports. Maybe he'll more than OK and actually know something about football. ;)

Reaction Score
Beyond Crispino's several decades of well respected sports radio & TV experience covering football and hoops, performing a LOT of both radio and TV play-by-play and color commentary, he's covered a bushel load of other sports. Maybe he'll more than OK and actually know something about football. ;)
I think he's gonna be great. Needed a change anyways. I do like Wayne Norman as an analyst.

Reaction Score

I've been listening to WHUS sports broadcasts regularly over a goodly number of years. Adam Giardino was one of my favorites to listen to. He was a student broadcaster who really impressed me, and he showed a great sense of humor as well. It's great to hear that he is returning to contribute to UConn sports broadcasts.

Reaction Score
It’s always interesting to watch how the shock and awe of letting a long time broadcast icon go can slowly morph into (at first) grudging acceptance of the new order and then over time, the excited anticipation of turning the page.
Benedict knew that the football and men’s basketball programs restart button not only required lots of fresh ideas to complement the new faces, he also determined we needed a few new voices. Kudos to DB on his ongoing and thoughtful tweaks of the programs. I’m looking forward to this fall and winter with increasing anticipation. Let the games begin.

Reaction Score
Maybe Mike will start using phrases like "Holy Cow", "That Huckleberry", and talk about his daughters (Penny, Pat, Cyndy) during the game.
And Sister Jean at St. Anthony’s School!

Reaction Score
It’s always interesting to watch how the shock and awe of letting a long time broadcast icon go can slowly morph into (at first) grudging acceptance of the new order and then over time, the excited anticipation of turning the page.
Benedict knew that the football and men’s basketball programs restart button not only required lots of fresh ideas to complement the new faces, he also determined we needed a few new voices. Kudos to DB on his ongoing and thoughtful tweaks of the programs. I’m looking forward to this fall and winter with increasing anticipation. Let the games begin.
Oh, for sure DB and others put some thought into this choice. Hometown guy with a great voice and some in-depth knowledge. Thinking they went out and got him because this gig does little to broaden Crispino's resume professionally.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Article about Joe. D in the Courant today. Mostly positive, but this is an example of how backwards WTIC is:

D’Ambrosio has another year on his contract at WTIC, and in the wake of the decision to part ways, it would not release him do work UConn games. As one of his bosses told him, the Yankees wouldn’t just let Aaron Judge walk across the street and go play for the Red Sox. Veteran Mike Crispino was hired by i-Heart Media last week to fill the position.

This is not remotely the same thing. A more apt comparison would be if the Yankees seized playing baseball but maintained Yankee stadium for weddings and keeping Judge on to serve as maitre D'.

Reaction Score
Article about Joe. D in the Courant today. Mostly positive, but this is an example of how backwards WTIC is:

D’Ambrosio has another year on his contract at WTIC, and in the wake of the decision to part ways, it would not release him do work UConn games. As one of his bosses told him, the Yankees wouldn’t just let Aaron Judge walk across the street and go play for the Red Sox. Veteran Mike Crispino was hired by i-Heart Media last week to fill the position.

This is not remotely the same thing. A more apt comparison would be if the Yankees seized playing baseball but maintained Yankee stadium for weddings and keeping Judge on to serve as maitre D'.
He also said that UConn wanted him to continue. It was WTIC that said no.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

What do you expect from an organization who caters to a 1989 audience and produces barely 16 minutes of original content per hour during the afternoon drive.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Where are all of the people that lost their minds about the WTIC hack that claimed something about conservative programming now? Lol.

Reaction Score
The New London and Brookfield stations are indeed podunk, but WICC coming back on the network is a big deal.

Those with HD radios can assumingly get WICC on WEBEHD2, too, which is even better. (Yes, I'm a nerd)

I don't even understand wtf you are talking about. But I get WICC so I don't have to care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom