Mike Crispino To Be New Radio Voice For UConn Football, Men's Basketball | The Boneyard

Mike Crispino To Be New Radio Voice For UConn Football, Men's Basketball

Reaction Score
Mike Crispino To Be New Radio Voice For UConn Football, Men's Basketball

>>>>Crispino, who has been doing St. John’s basketball on radio in New York, and worked as an announcer in various roles at MSG Network for 25 years, will replace Joe D’Ambrosio, the voice of the Huskies for 26 years, multiple sources have told The Courant. Crispino, a long-time resident of the Hartford area, began his career at WRCH radio and at WVIT (now known as NBC Connecticut) in the mid-1980s.<<

>>An announcement and more details are expected soon, perhaps by the end of this week. The plan is for Crispino to handle play-by-play, working with Wayne Norman, the analyst on football and basketball for decades as D’Ambrosio’s partner. Bob Joyce and Deb Fiske, the long-time tandem on women’s basketball, are expected to move over to ESPN 97.9 as well.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here's some demo tape - just 13 views!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So wait....I thought the plan was to have a football specific team and a basketball specific team to call the games?? Was that just a hope??

So they basically dumped Joe D for another bball guy who will now call football and bball?? :confused:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don’t know the guy at all, and I guess I’ll het used to it, but just wish we had Joe D instead. This isn’t a marked upgrade. I was hoping we’d get a better football guy

Reaction Score
I was hoping we’d get a better football guy
Maybe time had just come for fresh blood some years ago. While a "better football guy" isn't exactly setting the bar too high, Crispino's bio suggests he's covered more football than some may believe, e.g., ESPN networks, Pac-12 network, NESN, etc.

Reaction Score
Not what was expected but let's give him a shot. He obviously wants to be here so go get em Mike!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I should have added that I'm not a Joe D fan. Just thought we'd get a football crew and a bball crew so they'd be more "experts" in the sport they were calling.

Here's to a new start

Reaction Score
definitely like the change from nasal, pompous a_ _ to mature, seasoned professional. A year from now, maybe two people will say "Joe who?"

Reaction Score
I remember this guy from his Ch.30 days. Okay choice I guess.

mike-crispino-1-385x385.jpg

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Solid hire and will do a very professional job for both UConn Football and Basketball

Reaction Score
I don’t know the guy at all, and I guess I’ll het used to it, but just wish we had Joe D instead. This isn’t a marked upgrade. I was hoping we’d get a better football guy
I agree. Solid hire and a definite upgrade.
Not what was expected but let's give him a shot. He obviously wants to be here so go get em Mike!
I agree. Good hire and a definite upgrade.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
@tcf15 any chance you can do those synced radio broadcasts for the games on uconnhuskygames.com?

Reaction Score
Joe D. was in the Phil Rizzuto, Johnny Most style, terrible radio voice, great homer, always passionate. Maybe that style is old school. I liked it, but I'm willing to give Mike a chance.

Reaction Score
Always liked Mike Crispino. Let's give him a year to grow into this role. This is a person who likes Connecticut. Gotta think he will do well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Joe D. was in the Phil Rizzuto, Johnny Most style, terrible radio voice, great homer, always passionate. Maybe that style is old school. I liked it, but I'm willing to give Mike a chance.
That's good...because you've got no choice. :D

Reaction Score
UConn IMG Radio Network team announced

>>Randy LaVigne, a former radio announcer on UConn women’s basketball broadcasts, will also be a part of the broadcast team while Adam Giardino will be the UConn football sideline reporter and will work with Joyce during the coverage of UConn’s men’s hockey team.<<

Giardino is a UConn Alum (as is LaVigne).

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I remember this guy from his Ch.30 days. Okay choice I guess.

mike-crispino-1-385x385.jpg

He looks a little bit like UConn philosophy professor Paul Bloomfield. I’m sure many grads of the last decade have taken his ethics course

Reaction Score
UConn IMG Radio Network team announced

>>Randy LaVigne, a former radio announcer on UConn women’s basketball broadcasts, will also be a part of the broadcast team while Adam Giardino will be the UConn football sideline reporter and will work with Joyce during the coverage of UConn’s men’s hockey team.<<

Giardino is a UConn Alum (as is LaVigne).

Giardino is also a former sports director for campus radio station WHUS where he spent his four years as a student broadcasting many Husky games in many different sports.

Reaction Score
What a massive improvement! Well done ADdave!

Depends on where you live, and in Norwich this is not good at all. 97.9 reception dies out in the Colchester area, and reception for both WILI out of Willimantic and WXLM out of New London is very poor in this area. I was hoping an FM station in southeastern Connecticut would pick up the games. No such luck.

Looks like WHUS will be my best option for listening, at least for the games that they end up carrying.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom