Mike Brey to USF (… or not). | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Brey to USF (… or not).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I feel like USF's goal was to fire Brian Gregory and then hire someone who could bring the Brian Gregory vibe.

Mission accomplished.

USF absolutely loves to hire the recently fired....Heath, Gregory, Brey. Kinda explains why they have like one tourney bid in the last 30 years.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Surprised at the hire, as I thought Brey was done with head coaching and would likely stay with Notre Dame in another capacity, but zero ill feelings toward him and I wish him the best. Seems like a good fit: better climate, less pressure, and a challenge he evidently felt ready to tackle. Hopefully he can turn the program around at USF.

Reaction Score

For programs who aspire to finish a couple games over .500, win a play-in game and have a reasonable shot at winning a QF game in their conf tournament, and maybe get an NIT bid every year. Probably a step up for USF.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Not a bad place to mail it in and cash some retirement checks for a few years. USF has zero expectations

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
the aac is where careers go to die. In football an up and coming coach can see a path to a power school if they get to a NY6 bowl.

In basketball the only way you leave is by getting fired. im pretty sure mick is legit the last aac coach to leave for another job and that was 5 years ago.

Will the big12 have a round of 32 you cant make it past?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Surprised at the hire, as I thought Brey was done with head coaching and would likely stay with Notre Dame in another capacity, but zero ill feelings toward him and I wish him the best. Seems like a good fit: better climate, less pressure, and a challenge he evidently felt ready to tackle. Hopefully he can turn the program around at USF.

Again, he was fired at Notre Dame. He was not welcome to stay there - that is part of getting fired. You have to leave.

He said he was not done coaching.

Reaction Score
I thought Brey accomplished a great deal at ND- not sure what is with all the hate for him- I guess he didn’t do so well at the end but still….

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Again, he was fired at Notre Dame. He was not welcome to stay there - that is part of getting fired. You have to leave.

He said he was not done coaching.
Technically, he wasn't fired; he resigned. But I suppose it was ND's taking the high road in parting ways.

I didn't realize he said he wanted to continue coaching.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Technically, he wasn't fired; he resigned. But I suppose it was ND's taking the high road in parting ways.

I didn't realize he said he wanted to continue coaching.

Notre Dame handled it remarkably well, I think.

They knew they wanted to make a change and they did it in such a way as to do very little damage to Brey. And it also gave him a chance to get out in front of any job openings.

I think most schools would have done the “we’ll review after the season” gambit which leaves players, recruits, the coaching and support staff and everyone else in limbo.

Reaction Score
He's no Digger Phelps. Success at broadcasting <10% prediction...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's no Digger Phelps. Success at broadcasting <10% prediction...

Well….we’re gonna find out.

I gather USF moved in another direction.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Strange to me he says still wants to coach, doesn't get the offer from USF, and now all of sudden he wants to pursue television. Why not see if there any other opportunities out there? Maybe he just had his sights set on Florida.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought he was up there. Twelve years later he's still winning the league.
Larranaga of Miami turns 74 later this year and Leonard Hamilton at Florida State is already 74. Noticing a trend with old coaches going to Florida.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom