Mike Anthony: UConn and UMass, with so much work to do, will support each other through the challenges of independent football | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn and UMass, with so much work to do, will support each other through the challenges of independent football

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I might just be willing to take UMass off my list soon. (Others include BCU, Cuse, UHar, PC...) I was wavering a few years ago then they had a Salute to the Squid night and they stayed on. But we need them now. I just hope we can continue to truck them.

Reaction Score
I really don't think we should be tying ourselves to Umass.

Play them once a year that's it. We shouldn't be so concerned with their success, it would come at our success.

Reaction Score
One dissapointment I had from yesterday's game at McGuirk was the attendance. 12K (and my eye-test would concur that this was fairly accurate) on a perfect fall afternoon, during Homecoming, and a "rivalry game" (from a UMass perspective), and that's the best they could do? Heck, Holy Cross drew almost 11K in Worcester for their Patriot Laegue contest against a woeful Colgate. I sincerely hope UConn can do significantly better than our northern neighbors as an independent in the attendance department. 5 or 6 games against the P5 is great but wins are also needed to reverse attendance trends.

Reaction Score
With our new schedule, attendance will be adequate as long as a win is at least a 50/50 proposition.

Reaction Score
One dissapointment I had from yesterday's game at McGuirk was the attendance. 12K (and my eye-test would concur that this was fairly accurate) on a perfect fall afternoon, during Homecoming, and a "rivalry game" (from a UMass perspective), and that's the best they could do? Heck, Holy Cross drew almost 11K in Worcester for their Patriot Laegue contest against a woeful Colgate. I sincerely hope UConn can do significantly better than our northern neighbors as an independent in the attendance department. 5 or 6 games against the P5 is great but wins are also needed to reverse attendance trends.
I mean 12k when capacity is 17k, for two terrible teams is decent. We both have to get better to really pique the areas interest.

Reaction Score
I really don't think we should be tying ourselves to Umass.

Play them once a year that's it. We shouldn't be so concerned with their success, it would come at our success.
I mean other than playing them once a year how are we tying ourselves to them? Its not like we are going to be out co recruiting. What you say about UMass is exactly what they say about us on the Rutgers board except they don't even want to play is because they feel they are "elevating" us. At the end of the days everyone should be for playing regional games. Its part of what makes the SEC and Big Ten special.

Reaction Score
#FightMassachusetts @FightMA247 1h
With UMass AD Ryan Bamford and UConn AD David Benedict watching yesterday's game together and jointly speaking with reporters pre-game about the future of the series, one can safely assume that #TheUGame will be back on yearly basis once this current 4-game contract is up in 2021

#FightMassachusetts @FightMA247
1h
Currently UMass' 2022 schedule is tentatively complete, but there is always the possibility for movement for a slate that far out Starting in 2023 however it looks good for the two teams to play every year, likely with odd years in Amherst and even years in East Hartford

#FightMassachusetts @FightMA24 1h
All that really remains is to get a trophy to play for, which is rumored to be in the works. As FBS Independents the teams would be trying to play this game in November regardless, but a concerted effort to play it during Rivalry Week (season's final week) is the smart move

Josh Walfish @JoshWalfishDHG 1h
I asked Bamford specifically about 2022 and he said "We always have flexibility."

#FightMassachusetts @FightMA247 1h
Certainly, one of the few potential benefits of having to create a full 12-game schedule Example: Could see UMass' 10/22/2022 trip to USF get pushed out a few years and then a trip to UConn replaces it on 11/5/2022. Better bye week for UMass in that case and all of Nov is filled

Reaction Score
God help us.

I feared someone wouldn't have the self control to let it go...

self-control-level-expert.jpg

Reaction Score
I feared someone wouldn't have the self control to let it go...

View attachment 47492
That's a good school to declare a "rivalry" with. We have played each other how many times? Close to 80? States that border one another. Only 2 State Flagships that play FBS in New England.

I wouldn't do a trophy, but playing it on rivalry week is smart.

Reaction Score
I mean other than playing them once a year how are we tying ourselves to them? Its not like we are going to be out co recruiting. What you say about UMass is exactly what they say about us on the Rutgers board except they don't even want to play is because they feel they are "elevating" us. At the end of the days everyone should be for playing regional games. Its part of what makes the SEC and Big Ten special.

Where did I say we shouldn't play them? Didn't I say we should?

The quote in the article I am assuming you read says that they are both helping each other beyond just scheduling their game. And it then goes on to say they both want to schedule BC and Army.

Now I'm sure BC isn't going to schedule both of us. I'm not sure they would want to even if they could. All I'm saying is I hope we don't plan to approach them with a Umass and ask for alternating games/ years, that's what I'm taking from that quote. We should be looking out for ourselves, not propping up one of the few worse programs than ours.

Reaction Score
Where did I say we shouldn't play them? Didn't I say we should?

The quote in the article I am assuming you read says that they are both helping each other beyond just scheduling their game. And it then goes on to say they both want to schedule BC and Army.

Now I'm sure BC isn't going to schedule both of us. I'm not sure they would want to even if they could. All I'm saying is I hope we don't plan to approach them with a Umass and ask for alternating games/ years, that's what I'm taking from that quote. We should be looking out for ourselves, not propping up one of the few worse programs than ours.
Ah ok. I wouldn't be averse to that 3 way going forward maybe there is a way to make that work and we get BC at home every 3 years or so. Having chosen to go down this independent path I'm sure there will be some unique arrangements.

Reaction Score
As long as no one suggests repurposing The Civil CONNFLict trophy. That is reserved for our Rivalry with the University of Central Florida... They are our Rivals whether they like it or Not. LOLOL

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No trophy, but playing them makes sense and doesn't hurt them or us with filling the schedule.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I wouldn't do a trophy, but playing it on rivalry week is smart.
Well I wouldn't go out and buy one, but if, say, there was one lying around:
1572236051452.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like the idea of a trophy game with UMass. Heck, there should have been one decades ago. Of all the universities out there, UMass is the one that is most like us over the course of our institutional histories. Back in the Yankee Conference days, they definitely were our fiercest rival (followed closely by URI). Now with both of us indy in football and A10 in hoops, it makes sense again.

Reaction Score
Out of independent necessity and for a few ticket sales, schedule umess for a very late season gridiron game. Emphasis on late, not foolishly as opening weekend games. When it’s particularly challenging in late season to sign P5 opponents and more challenging to obtain commitments from FL AAC or other programs in FL, GA, VA, MD and PA recruiting-focus areas, that’s the perfect time for umess.

To make the A-10 school think it matters more, toss ‘em a hoop game every several seasons to a decade when an out-of-conference slot’s available. Or, a women’s game out of convenience for the program’s W. Mass fans.

Reaction Score
two wins combined. And you’re asking where the fans are?

Reaction Score
two wins combined. And you’re asking where the fans are?

I am asking nothing. I am observing that an FBS contest between two flagship universities on a beautiful fall day barely outdrew a Patriot League matchup between a 1-7 and a 3-4 team taking place 45 miles east of Amherst.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom