Mike Anthony: UConn and UMass, with so much work to do, will support each other through the challenges of independent football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn and UMass, with so much work to do, will support each other through the challenges of independent football

Reaction Score
My hope and I think I am right here is that UConn has a somewhat higher goal than U Mass. they want to be a MAC level team while we are aiming higher. That doesn’t mean we can’t or shouldn’t play them. We absolutely should every season and on rivalry weekend. Again my hope is that it is one of those rivalries that UConn wins 2 out of 3 times but those can become pretty big deals when the lesser team a. Comes close and loses or b. Finally wins. It can be fun for both sides.

Reaction Score
My hope and I think I am right here is that UConn has a somewhat higher goal than U Mass. they want to be a MAC level team while we are aiming higher. That doesn’t mean we can’t or shouldn’t play them. We absolutely should every season and on rivalry weekend. Again my hope is that it is one of those rivalries that UConn wins 2 out of 3 times but those can become pretty big deals when the lesser team a. Comes close and loses or b. Finally wins. It can be fun for both sides.
I also think its great to play UMass every year. But I would not concede them 1 out of 200, ever mind 1 out of 3. We aim higher because we are better and should always be. If they can come up with a plan to compete more power to them, not our problem. I want UConn to compete against everyone on a very difficult schedule. Unless UMass fixes things, UConn should burry them every year.

Reaction Score
I really don't think we should be tying ourselves to Umass.

Play them once a year that's it. We shouldn't be so concerned with their success, it would come at our success.

You sound like Bee Cee You. How's being "the only college football team in New England" working out for their program?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Hopefully this is a rising tide lifts all boats situation. Just gotta work on that tide.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
There are different levels off football at the same "level". Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson are not on the same level as BC, Wake or Purdue. UConn and UMass are worlds apart in their independence.

UMass just resurrected their bubble for an indoor practice facility- their facilities do not compare to UConn's facilities. McGuirk holds 17k as opposed to the Rent.

UConn can leverage things UMass can't regarding scheduling. End of the day, they are both to be independents, but are worlds apart.

There should be an annual rivalry game. If you help your neighbor, the property values could both rise. If there is a trophy, just don't make it hokey.

Reaction Score
I know that our recent experience with a trophy game is very hokey, but the U Game is a natural. We are geographical neighbors that generally poke fun at each other. We compete for students. The states compete for residents and businesses. I'm sure some appropriate hardware can be designed.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I'm sure some appropriate hardware can be designed.

008.jpg

Reaction Score
Basketball games are of minimal value but a 40000 seat stadium located 20 minutes from a major airport and midway between Boston and New York where lots of schools have large numbers of alumni are significant factors in attracting opponents. None of them alone does it but together they make UConn an opponent worth considering. There are about 6000 Alabama alums in Boston. Lots of Big 10 and ACC schools greatly exceed those numbers in both Cities. Not to say we are playing Alabama but when schools are looking to play occasionally reaching out to Alums in other places can be attractive for building and strengthening relationships

Reaction Score
I am asking nothing. I am observing that an FBS contest between two flagship universities on a beautiful fall day barely outdrew a Patriot League matchup between a 1-7 and a 3-4 team taking place 45 miles east of Amherst.
Homecoming at Holy Cross is a big deal. They always draw a huge crowd to their game. To your larger point we all know we need to step up our attendance. I look forward to the day. A good effort Friday will help.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hopefully this is a rising tide lifts all boats situation. Just gotta work on that tide.
I don’t mind how high UMass rises as long as they are a step below us. With that limitation I want them to be good because it’s good for New England football and that’s good for us. BCU on the other hand I want to be a smoldering hole in the ground.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom