Mike Anthony: Should the UConn football team bench and preserve its best players? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Should the UConn football team bench and preserve its best players?

Reaction Score
His track record indicates that he's not a good football coach - good god, do you care about putting guys in the NFL or CFL or winning college football games? If he can nurture talent then make him a position coach, he has NOT shown he can win more games than he loses as a head college football coach - that IS his record.

You are correct that it is a different era and results are expect sooner - you are not turning back the clock 50 or 20 years, this is that way it is, get used to it. There is a lot more noise around programs, more outlets for voices, more consistent scrutiny, and piss poor programs having success or at least tangible markers that there is forward movement and that just isn't happening here.

Give him a "good guy" plaque and a ceremony and then hire a football coach that has shown they can win games.

The new motto for the program should be "Good enough is our very best"

You shouldn’t read the paper or watch another game.

My take on leaving the AAC and going independent is DB & BOT will be more lenient and flexible through this transition. A solid hard schedule this year. Then two + years of creating a better Mousetrap. They’re not going to scrape the current path for some young dude.

The Correct answer is ... Lance Leipold at Buffalo (after Wisconsin Whitewater) or Chris Creighton Eastern Michigan (after Drake). Both would pull us to a far higher plane. Having said that ... Edsall with Spanos. A better offensive scheme. Development. We aren’t that far in variance -imho - with any replacement. That’s my opinion.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Would just like to see something more creative on offense. That’s my only gripe. I feel like our defense is much better, I love Spanos, and our talent is better in general. But still feel like we in the stone age offensively.

Reaction Score
You shouldn’t read the paper or watch another game.

My take on leaving the AAC and going independent is DB & BOT will be more lenient and flexible through this transition. A solid hard schedule this year. Then two + years of creating a better Mousetrap. They’re not going to scrape the current path for some young dude.

The Correct answer is ... Lance Leipold at Buffalo (after Wisconsin Whitewater) or Chris Creighton Eastern Michigan (after Drake). Both would pull us to a far higher plane. Having said that ... Edsall with Spanos. A better offensive scheme. Development. We aren’t that far in variance -imho - with any replacement. That’s my opinion.

Stop you're being silly at this point by defending him - you are what your record says you are and RE's record is one of a losing head man and no matter what you or anyone else says - you simply can't erase that fact. My dislike for him is much less about on-field performance and more about his inability to own his role in it - that is infuriating to me.

I don't care about NFL or CFL guys - it's good for them, but I care more about winning games - with all that NFL and CFL talent he still only had 2 conference winning seasons - jesus that should tell you something, but it won't.

I can easily show you a school or two that went FBS at the same time as UConn and have had more success - so RE1.0 wasn't some miracle worker - better than this time for sure, but let's not make him out to be Woody Hayes for his first performance.

They have to make a change if they want to continue to have a FBS football program. They have to get someone in here that has a more dynamic philosophy and has had recent SUCCESS as a HEAD man running a program. No assistant - you could get Kirby Smart or you could get Jeremy Pruitt - it's a big crap shoot, unless you're staying at the same school then I believe you have a better chance for success.

Have to find a guy that has has been successful at a FCS school like like NDSU, Montana, JMU, etc. or a lesser FBS conference like the MAC, but I'm not sure that's lesser based on where the program is going conference wise.

You are correct that Hoston, Klieman, Fleck - is the profile - if you want to win the university has to pay the money that's just the way it goes and if the university wasn't prepared or can't spend the money to at least be realistically considered by good coaches the program should move to FCS and try and be a consistent playoff participant at that level - that's ok.

I'm around 100's of HS coaches a year (it's my business) and watch more film in a weekend than you probably do all year, the conversations around the program aren't necessarily positive. They all realize that it's a very difficult job and they sympathize with the challenge, but there's not a lot of positive buzz that's for sure and continuing this type of performance won't change the narrative and that is not a good thing - sorry to disappoint you.

It's a lot different than it was 20 years ago, A LOT in every way.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He is constantly looking for excuses and cops out rather than game planning opponents and nurturing players. Figure out a way to be competitive this year.

Reaction Score
Gosh

That’s a whole lot of words

You do know we paid Diaco $1.7m per. Edsall took the cut discount at a $1m ... but we’d get a coach at least $1.5m when he was hired. Point is ... Leipold & Creighton (or Klieman or Fleck when) are getting MAC pay. Probably $600-850k. We can swoop them in

Reaction Score
It's a lot different than it was 20 years ago, A LOT in every way.
Yup... way different than even 5 years ago, yet alone two decades.

>>"I think the NCAA probably is upset with me right now because this wasn't the intent of the rule," Holgorsen said. "Four games is four games, and we can use it however we want to use it. We need to get older and we need to develop, and redshirting is not a dirty word. That's been my stance since the day I got here. I've identified a little bit of a problem that exists here, and I'm going to do everything I can here to fix it."<<

(Whether they actually return to UH remains to be seen)

Reaction Score
There are four possible W's still on the table to go with the one they already have. USF, ECU, UMass, and Houston. My suggestion is that they try like hell to win those. Pull out all the stops. They owe it to the fans. The others they can do what they like.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
There are four possible W's still on the table to go with the one they already have. USF, ECU, UMass, and Houston. My suggestion is that they try like hell to win those. Pull out all the stops. They owe it to the fans. The others they can do what they like.
If they were a professional team, they would owe it to the fans. They are college kids. You do what is in the best interest of your student athletes and hopefully that will put W's on the board. Of course what is the best interest is a wide swath but remember they are college kids at the end of the day who aren't getting paid.

Reaction Score
If they were a professional team, they would owe it to the fans. They are college kids. You do what is in the best interest of your student athletes and hopefully that will put W's on the board. Of course what is the best interest is a wide swath but remember they are college kids at the end of the day who aren't getting paid.
Fans are people with lives to lead and they don't owe it to a bunch of college kids to go to the games or support their team.

Reaction Score
They are getting paid. A very expensive education for free. The discussion is whether or not they are getting paid enough. And the university is getting paid too. It is a business pure and simple. Anyone who argues it is not is naive in the extreme.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pivoting to players is weak sauce. The other team is full of college aged kids too. The players want to be on the field. They want to give it their all, but at the end of the day, they do what they are told and it's a coach's decision to play them or not.

The coaches on the other hand ARE professional. They DO get paid. They owe the fans their best effort to put a quality product on the field in order to entice fans to spend money and get in their seats by kickoff.

Edsall flat out said in his response he's not going jeopardize this season to get ready for another one so I don't know why people are ripping him here. It's not his fault someone asked a dumb question and wrote an article about it.

I said it earlier that I though the headline does not match up very well. Bad job by the editor. Honestly who knows what will happen in 4 years? But don't miss out on the present while making plans for the future.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
High school players care about getting to the next level, just ask any of them.
Yes they want to be on TV and play the best competition they can, but playing on Sundays is a goal of most high school stars

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom