Mike Anthony: Should the UConn football team bench and preserve its best players? | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Should the UConn football team bench and preserve its best players?

Reaction Score
UConn Insider @UConn_Insider 9 mins ago
Randy Edsall and his coaching staff have some roster decisions to make, writes @ManthonyCourant. But with winnable games on the schedule beyond Saturday's mismatch, there's no easy equation for @UConnFootball.

Alternate access link to article

>>Edsall explored this, generally, Tuesday during his weekly press conference at the Burton Family Football Complex, a time to gauge where he stands in the midst of what feels like another impossible squeeze — at the intersection of what’s best for individual players, what’s best for this year’s team and what’s best for the program.

“After this year, we should be in really good shape from a roster management standpoint. After we add this [recruiting] class, then I think it’s going to be easier,” Edsall said. “You’re not going to have the disparity in terms of the classes. You should have 14, 15, 16 seniors a year and have guys that are fifth-year seniors. That’s what really has got to make our program, as long as [players] get good and [remain at UConn].”<<

>>“I have a plan in my mind with each freshman, what we’re trying to do with them,” Edsall said. He added, in choosing whether to redshirt players, “You’re never losing sight of the fact that you’re trying to win games. That’s the bottom line. I’m not going to jeopardize the hard work of other guys just to say we’re getting ready for [another season].”<<

Link to yesterdays' press conference to hear to discussion referenced in full. (it begins @ the 12:44 mark)

Reaction Score
It's astounding that this is even up for debate.

You have to listen to the audio of the press conference to see how it even came up - it was a response to a question.

C

Chief00

Sometimes the center of conversation for this program revolves around such bizarre topics.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You have to listen to the audio of the press conference to see how it even came up - it was a response to a question.
>>“I have a plan in my mind with each freshman, what we’re trying to do with them,” Edsall said. He added, in choosing whether to redshirt players, “You’re never losing sight of the fact that you’re trying to win games. That’s the bottom line. I’m not going to jeopardize the hard work of other guys just to say we’re getting ready for [another season].” <<

As a writer, Anthony can afford this opinion. Fans can afford it, but the team and those associated with it's administration absolutely can not.

First of all, to me, the headline in no way lines up with how Edsall is quoted and if it were me, I'd have considered going full Belichick with the answer. Something to the effect of, "We're focused on lining up with who we think are the best players with a game plan for what we think is the best way to be successful." Full stop. Don't address it further.

Nothing turned off this fanbase from Diaco more than when after game number 1, Jeff Jacobs interpreted his focus on conference games over non-conference games as "exhibition." If your best can't beat their best, so be it, but upsets happen.

At the end of the day, spectator sports are entertainment and there is just so far "They're just kids," or, "you need to support your school," go. Once you charge admission, you put your fans to a test for their disposable dollar and time and UConn football has an obligation to make an effort in putting their best foot forward. Yes they suck, but they're trying. They're almost there...maybe. Give those who tailgate a reason to go through the turnstiles. Give those who have their ticket scanned a reason to stay beyond the halftime show. Attendance is in the toilet. The program is a national laughingstock. The last thing that UConn needs is to give its few remaining attending fans is a ready-made excuse to give up.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This again? There are no 5 year plans in college football. Nor is there a draft lottery.

Play to win every game. There are big gaps in perception for every extra win. 3 win teams are less than worthless in the marketplace. And a huge jump in credibility once you consistently make bowl game. There are very few accepable exceptions to these rules.

Reaction Score
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!

The reason players come to UConn is to play games against top competition. This is a game that is a true measuring stick for a player. A game that players circle on the calendar. Sitting a player for no reason in a game like this is cheating the player.

I can hear Edsall on the recruiting trail. "Come to UConn and we're going to sit you when we play ranked teams. I will only play you against weak competition even when you are completely healthy so you are less likely to get hurt."

Of course, it's Edsall so WTF knows.

Reaction Score
Here’s a novel coaching strategy:

TRY TO WIN A goshdarn GAME FOR ONCE IN YOUR MISERABLE EXISTENCE

Duhhh what do you think Edsall has been trying to do running off tackle on 3rd and 8 down 35 all these years???

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
And there are still plenty of people who defend this clown.
TBH there’s probably more people who say “can’t believe people defend him” than actually defend him at this point.

Reaction Score
From my having my Dad drag excited boys to a game at Memorial to today ... there are very few instances in UCONN athletics that someone deserved to be called a clown.

I’m very knowledgeable about Parents not liking Edsall. And it is often what comes out of his mouth. But I don’t think many would say he didn’t give their son a good shot at D1 CFB. That he wasn’t a hard working man and that translates into 100 guys working.

So. Diaco = Red Pants Clown. Hathaway = Free Car Bozo. Edsall was given a deep hole ... whether he’s talented enough to climb out is certainly a question. He did a damn good 1.0. And Yes ... the FB program is getting better. The next guy might be the beneficiary. (Regardless of what whaler11 says)

C

Chief00

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!

The reason players come to UConn is to play games against top competition. This is a game that is a true measuring stick for a player. A game that players circle on the calendar. Sitting a player for no reason in a game like this is cheating the player.

I can hear Edsall on the recruiting trail. "Come to UConn and we're going to sit you when we play ranked teams. I will only play you against weak competition even when you are completely healthy so you are less likely to get hurt."

Of course, it's Edsall so knows.

And we already have a pay / body bag game scheduled against Clemson.

Reaction Score
I will defend what a development program should look like. At UConn, we have chosen to be a development program and not go heavy on the JUCO/transfer route. You can argue if this is the right decision for UConn, but that is not Edsall's decision.

If you recruit 4* and 5* players, they are expected to contribute to the team immediately. In general 3* and 2* players require development and most will/should be redshirted. For UConn, almost all recruits should be redshirted. During Edsall 2.0, he has not had the luxury of redshirting almost all of each recruiting class due to holes in the roster.

We should have ~18 RS Seniors and Seniors and 15 RS Juniors (4+ years on scholarship) on the roster that have been with the program for 4 or 5 years or a total of about 33 players. This year we have 2 RS Senior and Seniors and 10 RS Juniors who have been with the program 4 or 5 years or 12 players. That is a huge hole in this year's roster.

Next season, we should have closer to 25 scholarship players who have been with the program for 4 years which is a major improvement.

In my opinion, the talent on the roster has improved considerably, but the talent is still young and developing.

If I had to critique Edsall, it would be on the choice of OC for this season as I think we needed to hire someone with OC experience.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Duhhh what do you think Edsall has been trying to do running off tackle on 3rd and 8 down 35 all these years???
Well it's gotta work sooner or later...

Reaction Score
That would include Andy Baylock, who is more familiar with the football program and its coaches than anyone on this board.
Oh yeah, he really gets big time football in 2019.

Reaction Score
Of course we don't do that... BUT, we still need to do what Edsall's been doing the past few years... to help ease the pressure on the young pups... Recruit JUCOs, Grad Student Transfers or Transfers that can be eligible sooner rather than later, along with tapping into Canada more and more as well as the other various outlets... We do this we'll be better sooner.. We clearly need the maturity level to level up on this football team... BUT, it definitely has gotten better from last year..

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am a staunch RE defender. WHY? Because his track record at UConn indicates he be given the time to rebuild. In today's society, everyone wants everything right away. Well, it won't work at UConn given the academic standards for the football program. You can complain about style and coordinators, but you can't complain about the talent he nurtures. How many guys has he put in the NFL and CFL? His record looks like a colossus versus the coaches that came before him and after him. I think when he retires he deserves an statue. Of course, half the guys on this board would risk a public indecency ticket by peeing on it.

He doesn't set the football budget, the AD does. RE was willing to take money out of his own pocket for an Offensive Coordinator. Think about that.

Reaction Score
I am a staunch RE defender. WHY? Because his track record at UConn indicates he be given the time to rebuild. In today's society, everyone wants everything right away. Well, it won't work at UConn given the academic standards for the football program. You can complain about style and coordinators, but you can't complain about the talent he nurtures. How many guys has he put in the NFL and CFL? His record looks like a colossus versus the coaches that came before him and after him. I think when he retires he deserves an statue. Of course, half the guys on this board would risk a public indecency ticket by peeing on it.

He doesn't set the football budget, the AD does. RE was willing to take money out of his own pocket for an Offensive Coordinator. Think about that.

His track record indicates that he's not a good football coach - good god, do you care about putting guys in the NFL or CFL or winning college football games? If he can nurture talent then make him a position coach, he has NOT shown he can win more games than he loses as a head college football coach - that IS his record.

You are correct that it is a different era and results are expect sooner - you are not turning back the clock 50 or 20 years, this is that way it is, get used to it. There is a lot more noise around programs, more outlets for voices, more consistent scrutiny, and piss poor programs having success or at least tangible markers that there is forward movement and that just isn't happening here.

Give him a "good guy" plaque and a ceremony and then hire a football coach that has shown they can win games.

The new motto for the program should be "Good enough is our very best"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom