Mike Anthony: Randy Edsall and UConn football trying to make the most of 2020 after opting out of season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Randy Edsall and UConn football trying to make the most of 2020 after opting out of season

Reaction Score
I think you are grossly underestimating how in a small state like CT everything today being decided by a very cautious governors office who is walking a line on a large state budget deficit and university deficit on top of the pandemic. Unlike Mass, the CT economy from 2008 to today has been weak (when measured against the performance of other states) producing chronic budget challenges and state labor tension. One bit of good news, the hot stock market and the NYC exodus is helping CT perform better than expected the last 6 months.

btw- hardcorehuskey is plugged into the nexus of Hartford and Storrs. His insight here is reliable.
Agree. The decision was driven by $ and it benefits the state/UConn to suspend a money-losing program, and benefits RE as he and Corey get to milk their salaries/benefits for another year.

But it hurts recruiting. And don't be shocked during March-April if there's talk of suspending the 2021 season, especially if the vaccines hit a glitch.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UMass budget is much less than UCONN. UMass made drastic furloughs to all employees except professors. If the state prevented football for health reasons I really don’t see how basketball would be doable.
Basketball won’t create the same deficits. Rewind to the sports deficit discussion in June. Moreover, this is a basketball school- that’s obvious. Also, basketball is in a conf and football is not.

Reaction Score
Safe to assume that everyone on this board is disappointed with not seeing the Huskies on the field this season. But the people who are saying UConn somehow blew it and we don’t care about football and we suck are, in my opinion, people who really couldn’t care less about the safety of these kids and are just looking at it from a fandom and entertainment perspective.

Diehard football fan here but I’m seeing games cancelled left and right and I can live without football for a season if that means these kids are noise free for a year to better improve themselves to compete for 2021 and improve their standing in the classroom. Trying to play a Covid season has to be increasingly difficult on maintaining some semblance of academic health.

Think of the Children...

Some schools are playing their 6th or 7th games of the season today. That's pretty good considering all the uncertainty a couple of months ago. If we want hoops to happen, then we need a successful college football season. Yet some here are acting like a scorned ex hoping it all crashes down because UConn couldn't make it work. And feigning outrage that the rest of FBS heartlessly continued to play and moved on with life.

Reaction Score
Tweets like this make me wonder if it's worth it for an independent school to cobble a few games together with UMass and random FCS schools.

confronting and battling through adversity is ironically much of what the essence of the game is about. kudos to those making the effort.

Reaction Score
Basketball won’t create the same deficits. Rewind to the sports deficit discussion in June. Moreover, this is a basketball school- that’s obvious. Also, basketball is in a conf and football is not.
So you agree that It was financial

Reaction Score
and for the most part you won't see anybody in the stands. It's a dumpster fire college football season in a dumpster fire year and it will not count toward any players eligibility.
Bad look for UConn no matter what. Looks like UConn does not take football seriously. Everyone hopped up about basketball. You won't see anyone in the stands either and it is being played indoors. High risk of infection but that is okay for UConn basketball, but football is not. Maybe UConn is trying to tell us that we should forget about football anymore. There had to be a way that they could protect the football players and allow them to play like 100+ schools, if they can now say that they will protect the basketball players next month.

Reaction Score
Bad look for UConn no matter what. Looks like UConn does not take football seriously. Everyone hopped up about basketball. You won't see anyone in the stands either and it is being played indoors. High risk of infection but that is okay for UConn basketball, but football is not. Maybe UConn is trying to tell us that we should forget about football anymore. There had to be a way that they could protect the football players and allow them to play like 100+ schools, if they can now say that they will protect the basketball players next month.
Dude, you don't get it. Schedules = marketing gimmick for universities. Us playing only Sun Belt, MAC, etc schools would have not helped our program's profile one bit. It would make us look as weaker and more desperate, if anything.

Reaction Score
Dude, you don't get it. Schedules = marketing gimmick for universities. Us playing only Sun Belt, MAC, etc schools would have not helped our program's profile one bit. It would make us look as weaker and more desperate, if anything.
There were games to be had - Liberty, ND, Army, BYU and we would have had some other fill games. I cant see how playing Sun Belt squads is worse than sitting in your dorm room on Saturdays watching 100 other schools play. It’s must be eating them up inside. The only remarkable thing is how loyal these kids are in towing the line. I don’t know if that’s good or bad.

Reaction Score
I think you are afraid that those schools would be kicking UConn's butt, like the AAC schools did. It is a bad look for UConn to not be playing if all those other schools are playing. They virus is not going away in December, but UConn will be playing basketball in a closed arena! Isn't that a marketing gimmick also, even though I know that at least UConn is a member of a conference in olympic sports, but I really don't see any harm in putting together a few football games. I believe it would be a good way to evaluate the talent, or lack thereof.

Reaction Score
I think you are afraid that those schools would be kicking UConn's butt, like the AAC schools did. It is a bad look for UConn to not be playing if all those other schools are playing. They virus is not going away in December, but UConn will be playing basketball in a closed arena! Isn't that a marketing gimmick also, even though I know that at least UConn is a member of a conference in olympic sports, but I really don't see any harm in putting together a few football games. I believe it would be a good way to evaluate the talent, or lack thereof.
Grandpa, not all of us have the same fears as you.

Reaction Score
There were games to be had - Liberty, ND, Army, BYU and we would have had some other fill games. I cant see how playing Sun Belt squads is worse than sitting in your dorm room on Saturdays watching 100 other schools play. It’s must be eating them up inside. The only remarkable thing is how loyal these kids are in towing the line. I don’t know if that’s good or bad.
ODU just tore down a stadium of historical value and built a new one. Poor ODU players.

Reaction Score
ODU just tore down a stadium of historical value and built a new one. Poor ODU players.
Interesting fact - we have one already that’s ready to go.

Reaction Score
The one they tore down was built around the same time ours was IIRC, no?

Reaction Score
Just commenting about the double standard here.

I don’t totally disagree, but if you’re gonna bring up the outdoors vs indoor thing, you gotta bring up the flip side that football has a much bigger roster, coaching staff and support staff compared to basketball.

Reaction Score
Think of the Children...

Some schools are playing their 6th or 7th games of the season today. That's pretty good considering all the uncertainty a couple of months ago. If we want hoops to happen, then we need a successful college football season. Yet some here are acting like a scorned ex hoping it all crashes down because UConn couldn't make it work. And feigning outrage that the rest of FBS heartlessly continued to play and moved on with life.
See that’s where I differ. For the teams that are playing, God bless em. And for the three teams that aren’t, God bless em. Everyone is doing what they feel is best for them.

And I’m rooting for this to work because if this all comes crashing down now, 2021 won’t be such a shoe in. If this season makes it through then there’s a better chance that we will be opening up in Cali

Reaction Score
I don’t totally disagree, but if you’re gonna bring up the outdoors vs indoor thing, you gotta bring up the flip side that football has a much bigger roster, coaching staff and support staff compared to basketball.
The risk will be there for sure no matter what. That the overwhelming majority of FBS teams are playing and UConn is hiding is not a good look. I truly hope the basketball season goes without a problem, but I think there could have been some room on UConn's part to make some adjustments for football to play a few games, even if they would likely be blown out by whomever they played.

Reaction Score
I had chairback tickets for this season because not only did I want to go to games, I wanted to support the program. This discussion is based off a false premise. UConn didn't quit on the season- as Exit 4 stated- there was no cooperation from the state. That is it - not UConn, the players, RE. The state- the health department, Gov Lamont, etc. They didn't let high schools play and colleges couldn't play with the restrictions. Blaming anyone is fruitless in light of the spike in cases.
I was hearing this also. No support. Cautious by getting hammered early. The treatment of the basketball season ticket holders is also telling.

Reaction Score
The risk will be there for sure no matter what. That the overwhelming majority of FBS teams are playing and UConn is hiding is not a good look. I truly hope the basketball season goes without a problem, but I think there could have been some room on UConn's part to make some adjustments for football to play a few games, even if they would likely be blown out by whomever they played.
You sound like someone that just wants to watch your team play football On Saturdays.

I assure you Edsall, DB and the team have moved on and are preparing for 2021. We should all do the same. There will be no games this Fall or next Spring.

Reaction Score
You sound like someone that just wants to watch your team play football On Saturdays.

I assure you Edsall, DB and the team have moved on and are preparing for 2021. We should all do the same. There will be no games this Fall or next Spring.
I hope that they have moved on and thank you for this reply!

Reaction Score
Hopefully randy didn’t lose the team by saying they didn’t want to play. I find it hard to believe that the players opted out once teams started coming back. Some conferences ACC and I think Big 12 allowed out of conference games. You could of tried to keep North Carolina and Virginia and then umass liberty and a couple sun belt schools and there you have it you got atleast 6 games

Reaction Score
Hopefully randy didn’t lose the team by saying they didn’t want to play. I find it hard to believe that the players opted out once teams started coming back. Some conferences ACC and I think Big 12 allowed out of conference games. You could of tried to keep North Carolina and Virginia and then umass liberty and a couple sun belt schools and there you have it you got atleast 6 games
Now that we have more clarity, all of the games on UConn's schedule were or would have been cancelled until this weekend, Liberty. Two other games on the schedule could have been played, Middle Tennessee and Army. UMass could have been scheduled at some point. Bottom line, I see how 4 to 5 games could have been played, back end loaded in the season.

Also in hindsight, it would have been better to start the football season early or on time to get games in before the current surge in COVID hit. It's going to be hard to contain COVID on teams at this point given the surging positive tests. And, how long is the Big 10 season going to last if players who test positive have to sit for 21 days?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom