Mike Anthony: Randy Edsall and UConn football trying to make the most of 2020 after opting out of season | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Randy Edsall and UConn football trying to make the most of 2020 after opting out of season

Reaction Score
Nothing really earthshaking...

Outline access truncated the last paragraph:

“You look at a situation and you make the best decision. We wouldn’t have been able to field a team some weekends based on our situation, the policy and procedures we had in place for COVID and the state had in place for COVID. I saw how things are going and I said there’s no way we can get through a season. I’m worried about getting our guys in the best position to compete in 2021.”

Reaction Score
Yet other independent schools are able to field a team and more and more games are scheduled. What am I missing here?

Reaction Score
Yet other independent schools are able to field a team and more and more games are scheduled. What am I missing here?
Procedures for CT and UCONN would make games next to impossible to play in CT. They would all have to be on the road like UMASS and they are losing quite a bit of money on each game. That's why UCONN will not be playing.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Procedures for CT and UCONN would make games next to impossible to play in CT. They would all have to be on the road like UMASS and they are losing quite a bit of money on each game. That's why UCONN will not be playing.
How about for soccer games, UConn basketball games, and all the other sporting events in CT?

Reaction Score
All said to justify the decision. They could have played. It would have required an additional effort that they felt would not be worthwhile. The decision made financial sense and less likely to have players injured but part of me is disappointed in the lack of fight and make it happen attitude. Oh well, next year no excuses.

Reaction Score
How about for soccer games, UConn basketball games, and all the other sporting events in CT?
Soccer is a pro sport so has the money for rapid testing, Basketball has an in conference schedule so they're guaranteed at least 20 games to cover costs of testing, something the football team does not have the luxury of having. Look at UMASS, they're paying teams to go to their stadiums and get absolutely dismantled. We get it you hate Randy Edsall, but not playing was the best choice for the program.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I really think this is a 50/50 situation with each side having merit. I'll hold off making a final conclusion until mid Sept when we see how this team plays after its long hiatus. Say all we want about 2020 and spring 2021, all that will count for this program is fall 2021.

Yes they could have played 4-6 games this fall. They could of made that happen. It would have required something called "cooperation" from our state health department and the gov's office. It can't happen w/o their support (and from what we can tell there was zero support). Campbell played a four game season already. Army and BYU are making it happen. UMass is making something happen.

Now - can this program afford to come out and look like game one of UMass getting shut out and crushed? No. So if the situation is that we aren't ready this fall to look like a real team that can win 4-6 games, then I guess sucking it up and staying home will work for the better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think this was the correct decision. It was a tough one for sure, but correct. Even putting together a schedule would have been difficult and one that made any sense kind of impossible. Remember that 6 of our games got cancelled because of this.

Honestly, I am not convinced that the basketball season in particular will come off despite the stuff we read. Wisconsin and Ohio for example are huge hot spots. If teams have to quarantine after going there it will be tricky. If you have an outbreak you might not be able to play for a while. Testing tells you if you have an outbreak but not whether you’ve bee exposed.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Soccer is a pro sport so has the money for rapid testing, Basketball has an in conference schedule so they're guaranteed at least 20 games to cover costs of testing, something the football team does not have the luxury of having. Look at UMASS, they're paying teams to go to their stadiums and get absolutely dismantled. We get it you hate Randy Edsall, but not playing was the best choice for the program.
Dare you to go into the locker room and look these kids in the eyes and say that to their faces.

Reaction Score
Not even worth worrying about anymore. They blew it and the facts speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
With the uptick nation wide and here in CT no doubt the right decision. Not going to carry on as the multiple reasons have been listed on this forum time and again, some just don't get it or simply refuse to accept it.

Rolled my tickets to next year and back Dave, Randy and all involved for making a sensible decision.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I had chairback tickets for this season because not only did I want to go to games, I wanted to support the program. This discussion is based off a false premise. UConn didn't quit on the season- as Exit 4 stated- there was no cooperation from the state. That is it - not UConn, the players, RE. The state- the health department, Gov Lamont, etc. They didn't let high schools play and colleges couldn't play with the restrictions. Blaming anyone is fruitless in light of the spike in cases.

Reaction Score
With the uptick nation wide and here in CT no doubt the right decision. Not going to carry on as the multiple reasons have been listed on this forum time and again, some just don't get it or simply refuse to accept it.

Rolled my tickets to next year and back Dave, Randy and all involved for making a sensible decision.
Safe to assume that everyone on this board is disappointed with not seeing the Huskies on the field this season. But the people who are saying UConn somehow blew it and we don’t care about football and we suck are, in my opinion, people who really couldn’t care less about the safety of these kids and are just looking at it from a fandom and entertainment perspective.

Diehard football fan here but I’m seeing games cancelled left and right and I can live without football for a season if that means these kids are noise free for a year to better improve themselves to compete for 2021 and improve their standing in the classroom. Trying to play a Covid season has to be increasingly difficult on maintaining some semblance of academic health.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure it'll look better on the resumes of players who seek careers abroad that they acted responsibly during a lethal and extremely contagious pandemic.

Reaction Score
The whole premise that they were prevented to play by the state is rather dishonest. I would only want them to play for the players sake. Players want to play. My hope is maybe RE can recruit better players by showing he really cares about the players

Reaction Score
Safe to assume that everyone on this board is disappointed with not seeing the Huskies on the field this season. But the people who are saying UConn somehow blew it and we don’t care about football and we suck are, in my opinion, people who really couldn’t care less about the safety of these kids and are just looking at it from a fandom and entertainment perspective.

Diehard football fan here but I’m seeing games cancelled left and right and I can live without football for a season if that means these kids are noise free for a year to better improve themselves to compete for 2021 and improve their standing in the classroom. Trying to play a Covid season has to be increasingly difficult on maintaining some semblance of academic health.
Yet I see 42 college football games scheduled for today, including many by our former peers.

Reaction Score
Yet I see 42 college football games scheduled for today, including many by our former peers.

and for the most part you won't see anybody in the stands. It's a dumpster fire college football season in a dumpster fire year and it will not count toward any players eligibility.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The whole premise that they were prevented to play by the state is rather dishonest. I would only want them to play for the players sake. Players want to play. My hope is maybe RE can recruit better players by showing he really cares about the players
I think you are grossly underestimating how in a small state like CT everything today being decided by a very cautious governors office who is walking a line on a large state budget deficit and university deficit on top of the pandemic. Unlike Mass, the CT economy from 2008 to today has been weak (when measured against the performance of other states) producing chronic budget challenges and state labor tension. One bit of good news, the hot stock market and the NYC exodus is helping CT perform better than expected the last 6 months.

btw- hardcorehuskey is plugged into the nexus of Hartford and Storrs. His insight here is reliable.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Tweets like this make me wonder if it's worth it for an independent school to cobble a few games together with UMass and random FCS schools.

Reaction Score
I think you are grossly underestimating how in a small state like CT everything today being decided by a very cautious governors office who is walking a line on a large state budget deficit and university deficit on top of the pandemic. Unlike Mass, the CT economy from 2008 to today has been weak (when measured against the performance of other states) producing chronic budget challenges and state labor tension. One bit of good news, the hot stock market and the NYC exodus is helping CT perform better than expected the last 6 months.

btw- hardcorehuskey is plugged into the nexus of Hartford and Storrs. His insight here is reliable.
UMass budget is much less than UCONN. UMass made drastic furloughs to all employees except professors. If the state prevented football for health reasons I really don’t see how basketball would be doable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom