Mikayla Coombs is looking better | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs is looking better

Reaction Score
One other comment on Mikayla’s shooting technique. I used to coach Youth League b-ball. A lot of kids shot the ball just like Mikayla, either because they never learned the correct technique, or more often because they weren’t strong enough to shoot the ball at eye level using just their forearm, wrist and hand. It strikes me that Mikayla learned that technique very early on, and now it may be too late to change.
Totally agree. What shocks me is that she was an all around star in HS. Maybe 90% of her points were the result of her speed and ball control. Have no idea what her record shows re: three point shots. But it looks like her delivery is a low percentage shot.

Reaction Score
Some people are being a bit too harsh on the kid. Can someone post some videos of her high school games??
My feeling is that she will score, especially underneath.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mikayla had a low release, but a quick release in this video.

Reaction Score

Thanks for video. In this high school video, seemed like totally different shot than so far in 2018. Flawed, low release but smooth follow through. Couldn't guess why but today's shot different with high probability of miss. Can she recreate High School form?

Reaction Score

The first two plays, no hesitation pull up jumpers. She's had those same shots open most times she plays at UConn and won't take them and winds up jumping into the defender. Same with the 3's, no hesitation. All because in HS she was looking to score because her team needed it. And she's going to stay stuck like she is until that green light goes on in her head. Plus she really needs to learn to drive to her right or she won't even get the open looks she's getting now.

Reaction Score
Thanks for video. In this high school video, seemed like totally different shot than so far in 2018. Flawed, low release but smooth follow through. Couldn't guess why but today's shot different with high probability of miss. Can she recreate High School form?
Hard to say because those habits are deeply ingrained. It would probably take at least a whole summer reconstruction.

Reaction Score
Some people are being a bit too harsh on the kid. Can someone post some videos of her high school games??
My feeling is that she will score, especially underneath.
You aren't reading the entire message. We all agree she can become effective scoring underneath. It is her three point delivery that generates the concern.

Reaction Score
The first two plays, no hesitation pull up jumpers. She's had those same shots open most times she plays at UConn and won't take them and winds up jumping into the defender. Same with the 3's, no hesitation. All because in HS she was looking to score because her team needed it. And she's going to stay stuck like she is until that green light goes on in her head. Plus she really needs to learn to drive to her right or she won't even get the open looks she's getting now.
I think it is also evident that her shots from distance weren't guarded that well in HS. She is very athletic and needs confidence. Remember, this is like her first year ( due to that illness ). But I am not sure her three pointer will ever be consistent. Nonetheless, she can be exceptional at everything else. I am sure the coaches see it in her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom