Mikayla Coombs is looking better | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs is looking better

Reaction Score
[Q I don't think she's forgotten how to shoot. Her confidence is gone.
It needs to beUOTE="Scoop, post: 2951409, member: 8229"]She was averaging 24 ppg as a senior in HS. restored. Simply run plays for her during the game. Especially against the weaker teams UConn will face.[/QUOTE]
Uconn is a bad place to lose confidence. Everything is at a faster, higher level than most HS kids has ever seen. I am pleased you see her potential. I say this about most kids that can't buy a basket as Frosh/soph--Shooters don't forget how to shoot. Her speed is her asset and the bane to her improvement. As some, could be many, have said: She needs to play quickly but not fast. I like this kid.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain what’s wrong with her shot? I’ve seen a lot of posts on here saying she has a side windup, but from highlight videos of her all I can tell is that her shot seems to come from down by her hip.
I'm a believer in: If her shot falls regularly: Don't mess with her style. Others see as you see and say it must be changed because NOW at Uconn she isn't scoring as she did in HS--Geno and others say she has everything except CONFIDENCE, which is something that is harder to obtain once it fades.

w

Reaction Score
I really hope you are right. It is a shame to have a player no one feels the need to guard. She is athletic and tough.
She is more of a threat than Irwin. If you watched the S.H game Irwin was open a lot. Coombs; because she slashes to the basket other teams must guard her that close in, even I at 4 ft from the basket may be a threat.. It is easier to not guard someone that is not a long ball offensive threat. Yes Irwin has made some 3's .You don't guard, CW, Danger,Napheesa, KLS past the arc at your peril.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
You may threaten at 4 feet. But she "slashes to the basket" out of control and does not complete the play. I really like her, and appreciate her good qualities, and wish her well in every way. I realize you are fond of her, but until she starts scoring she will not be a scoring threat. Das ist alles.

Reaction Score
She was averaging 24 ppg as a senior in HS. I don't think she's forgotten how to shoot. Her confidence is gone.
It needs to be restored. Simply run plays for her during the game. Especially against the weaker teams UConn will face.
Has anyone seen her shot from high school? She is so athletic that I suspect she could get most of the 24 points via drives.

Reaction Score
You may threaten at 4 feet. But she "slashes to the basket" out of control and does not complete the play. I really like her, and appreciate her good qualities, and wish her well in every way. I realize you are fond of her, but until she starts scoring she will not be a scoring threat. Das ist alles.

Many moons ago my college coach , in practice, “questioned” my shot selection. I replied that he had told me I was a good shooter. He replied that I was still a good shooter, but not a good “maker”, and until I was a better maker my playing time would reflect that fact. Needless to say it was a good motivational tool for more time in the gym shooting the shots he thought were good ones. Somehow I never forgot that quote. BTW, questioned is in parentheses because it was more of a statement, and he spoke fluent profanity.

Reaction Score
The problem is that Mikayla cannot convert a three with any consistency. Her shot is defective...because she " flicks " the ball from hip level, and does not line up the ball, the basket, her eyes and her hands. She has made one three at UCONN ( I thought it was none ). It seemed obvious today ( because she had a few " open looks" from three point range ) that she has no confidence in her shot, either. Instead, she drives toward the hoop, into traffic, and loses the ball. Not worth it. She is all the things you mention ( speed, passing, defense, rebounding ) but on offense, she either has to forget about it or find a "plan B).

Reminds me a lot of Lorin Dixon. Drives into traffic and jumps with no decisive plan of where to go. When you get caught in the air, it usually ends in a turnover or a wild chuck at the basket which has virtually no shot of going in.

I think a lot of her offensive issues would go away with a more consistent outside shot. But she definitely brings a defensive intensity that our other bench players do not possess.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen her shot from high school? She is so athletic that I suspect she could get most of the 24 points via drives.
On HS highlight videos, Mikayla made a bunch of 3’s with that funky release of hers. While she was never a great 3 pt shooter, if she was left open, she could make the shot.

Her shooting mechanics are obviously a problem, but I agree with those who believe that Mikayla’s confidence in her outside shot is a bigger issue.

Reaction Score
On HS highlight videos, Mikayla made a bunch of 3’s with that funky release of hers. While she was never a great 3 pt shooter, if she was left open, she could make the shot.

Her shooting mechanics are obviously a problem, but I agree with those who believe that Mikayla’s confidence in her outside shot is a bigger issue.
Can you explain what this “funky release” is? From what I’ve seen it’s just a little low (near the hip).

Reaction Score
I agree with those that heaping praise on both Kyla and McKayla is a good thing. However, remember the environment in which they have both excelled: ST Louis and Seton Hall. I would expect that both of them would do very well against these teams. But, how would they do against Baylor, Louisville, or Notre Dame? That is the question as to how to measure their progress.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I agree with those that heaping praise on both Kyla and McKayla is a good thing. However, remember the environment in which they have both excelled: ST Louis and Seton Hall. I would expect that both of them would do very well against these teams. But, how would they do against Baylor, Louisville, or Notre Dame? That is the question as to how to measure their progress.
We need to get them walking before we run them! :)

Reaction Score
We need to get them walking before we run them! :)

You are probably correct on that one. However, they were supposed to be special being given scholarships to the top team in the nation. I would think that they have the abilities to play against top teams, if not, why are they there in the first place? Was Kyla brought aboard just to fill a whole in the roster? Or are these young people truly gifted to play a significant role on the UConn Team? Elsewhere, they may be starters. I think that these questions are relevant.

So, I would still contend that in viewing their progress against an AAC team or ST Louis or Seton Hall, they should excell. On the other hand, would they be a star on Seton Hall?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Can you explain what this “funky release” is? From what I’ve seen it’s just a little low (near the hip).
You’ve described it pretty well. Mikayla also has something of a slinging motion when she shoots. Contrast that with Lou’s textbook shooting motion: square up, the ball comes straight up, left hand on the side of the ball to guide it, right hand below/behind, shot released at eye level, perfect long follow through.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other comment on Mikayla’s shooting technique. I used to coach Youth League b-ball. A lot of kids shot the ball just like Mikayla, either because they never learned the correct technique, or more often because they weren’t strong enough to shoot the ball at eye level using just their forearm, wrist and hand. It strikes me that Mikayla learned that technique very early on, and now it may be too late to change.

Reaction Score
One other comment on Mikayla’s shooting technique. I used to coach Youth League b-ball. A lot of kids shot the ball just like Mikayla, either because they never learned the correct technique, or more often because they weren’t strong enough to shoot the ball at eye level using just their forearm, wrist and hand. It strikes me that Mikayla learned that technique very early on, and now it may be too late to change.
Yep I'm afraid you may be right.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There is more than one way to shoot a basketball accurately. Just ask Bill Bradley.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is more than one way to shoot a basketball accurately. Just ask Bill Bradley.
Bradley’s shooting mechanics were pretty good as I recall. Now Bradley’s teammate, Dick Barnett had an odd shot where he would drop the ball behind his head and then release it.

Reaction Score
Well, if we are going to talk about Dick Barnett, how about those free throws that he would stop at the last moment to get players to fall in the lane. There was no infraction, if I remember correctly, but it was hilarious. I think Dick did it for the humor.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Bradley’s shooting mechanics were pretty good as I recall. Now Bradley’s teammate, Dick Barnett had an odd shot where he would drop the ball behind his head and then release it.
Bradley shot from his hip. People said he would not be able to get off his shot in college or the NBA. They were wrong. He had that shot in high school and led his team to the finals of the Missouri Class L finals his senior year. He also was very successful at Princeton with that shot.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Bradley shot from his hip. People said he would not be able to get off his shot in college or the NBA. They were wrong. He had that shot in high school and led his team to the finals of the Missouri Class L finals his senior year. He also was very successful at Princeton with that shot.
Bradley had the best shot in the Senate for 18 years!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You are probably correct on that one. However, they were supposed to be special being given scholarships to the top team in the nation. I would think that they have the abilities to play against top teams, if not, why are they there in the first place? Was Kyla brought aboard just to fill a whole in the roster? Or are these young people truly gifted to play a significant role on the UConn Team? Elsewhere, they may be starters. I think that these questions are relevant.

So, I would still contend that in viewing their progress against an AAC team or ST Louis or Seton Hall, they should excell. On the other hand, would they be a star on Seton Hall?
There were only three players who were signed for the 16-17 season, the first season after the Big 3 went to the WNBA (with the first 3 picks). One of the three players was CD and no other Top 30 recruits. So Geno did offer Kyla and Molly and he knew exactly what he was getting-2 hard working "team first" players who were going to give their all in practices and games and not whine about playing time. I think that they know their roles and try to fill them. In Kyla's 2 recent starts, I think she did exactly what she was supposed to and should be proud of what she has done, she was expected to rebound, defend, pass the ball, set picks and not get in foul trouble. I think that Molly is doing what is expected of her too-run the point if CD is not in the game, play defense and stay out of foul trouble.
Now if Geno wanted them to be scorers too, then I agree that they are lacking.
What bothers me when they were in the game with the other reserves, before they decided to transfer, is that nobody seemed to want to take over and make some baskets. But on the other hand, when they were in the game, it is always in a blowout and Geno wants to run the offense and not to needlessly run up the score.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Go back and take a look at some old videos of Dollar Bill Bradley shooting a basketball, either at Princeton or the NY Knicks. I can assure you he did not shoot from his hip.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall listening to the UConn coaches discuss this. They obviously see what we see, a reluctant and inconsistent outside shooter with a very low release point that contributes to that inconsistency and also makes getting a shot off difficult when closely guarded.

They have also seen and coached shooters with impeccable shooting form, such as Lou and KML.

The dilemma they face - do we try and tweak what is there, get some improvement at the margin, or try for a complete makeover? Probably the former. Would a golfer try a major swing change a week before the Masters?

If you are going to try for a big overhaul, it likely would have to begin during an offseason anyhow and as we know, her physical condition would have made that impossible last summer.

I`m probably like a lot of kids back in the 60`s, shot a push shot through about eighth grade and then began shooting jumpers. Part of it was getting stronger, and I guess part of it was that at the high school level everybody else shot like that, and at that age who wanted to be different. Also, getting a shot blocked was a very unpleasant experience to be avoided at all costs. It probably felt awkward at first but like others, I suffered through it. Actually "suffered" is the wrong word, I couldn`t get enough of it.

Odd that at some point maybe 4-5 years ago, Mikayla didn`t change. Or maybe she tried and didn`t like the results. Who knows. At this point, I`m just happy that she is playing - that was far from certain a few months ago - and contributing. She clearly has other strengths to her game. Her ability to drive would be enhanced, though, if she was able to improve her outside shooting.

And as to "Dollar Bill" Bradley, my recollection is that he kind of let it go from around his right ear but that on the whole his form was good. Photo below confirms that, I think. He also had a really good hook shot, something you don`t see anymore especially from 6'5" guys.

bill-bradley-2.jpg

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall listening to the UConn coaches discuss this. They obviously see what we see, a reluctant and inconsistent outside shooter with a very low release point that contributes to that inconsistency and also makes getting a shot off difficult when closely guarded.

They have also seen and coached shooters with impeccable shooting form, such as Lou and KML.

The dilemma they face - do we try and tweak what is there, get some improvement at the margin, or try for a complete makeover? Probably the former. Would a golfer try a major swing change a week before the Masters?

If you are going to try for a big overhaul, it likely would have to begin during an offseason anyhow and as we know, her physical condition would have made that impossible last summer.

I`m probably like a lot of kids back in the 60`s, shot a push shot through about eighth grade and then began shooting jumpers. Part of it was getting stronger, and I guess part of it was that at the high school level everybody else shot like that, and at that age who wanted to be different. Also, getting a shot blocked was a very unpleasant experience to be avoided at all costs. It probably felt awkward at first but like others, I suffered through it. Actually "suffered" is the wrong word, I couldn`t get enough of it.

Odd that at some point maybe 4-5 years ago, Mikayla didn`t change. Or maybe she tried and didn`t like the results. Who knows. At this point, I`m just happy that she is playing - that was far from certain a few months ago - and contributing. She clearly has other strengths to her game. Her ability to drive would be enhanced, though, if she was able to improve her outside shooting.

And as to "Dollar Bill" Bradley, my recollection is that he kind of let it go from around his right ear but that on the whole his form was good. Photo below confirms that, I think. He also had a really good hook shot, something you don`t see anymore especially from 6'5" guys.

View attachment 37295
That is textbook form right there. Bird had it slightly more to the right and both were great shooters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom