Mikayla Coombs is looking better | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs is looking better

Reaction Score
OK, she doesn't shoot (yet?), but 6 rebounds and 2 steals. To my eye, she seemed more aggressive, more in the flow.

I like this. Maybe, just maybe, she can progress enough to get in the rotation.

She is plenty good enough of an athlete. I think she needs to continue to relax and just play hard (and smart).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Liked the hustle that Mikayla showed in today's game. Even when she made mistakes on defense, she hustled to make up for it. Needs to take some of her open looks instead of driving to the basket.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Liked the hustle that Mikayla showed in today's game. Even when she made mistakes on defense, she hustled to make up for it. Needs to take some of her open looks instead of driving to the basket.

She was the only UConn player not to score today. She only took 1 shot.

Reaction Score
Some thought CW played like Naketa (sp) Sales; I'd say Coombs plays like her, without the confidence. Her leaping while attacking the basket is pure Sales, Bloomfields Best.

C

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I thought Mikayla showed well. Not long ago Geno said she was good at getting her hands on the ball in an offensive rebound situation. That was certainly evident today. Plus she tipped a pass, made a steal, got a rebound or two. I can imagine her being a lot better by the end of February.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem is that Mikayla cannot convert a three with any consistency. Her shot is defective...because she " flicks " the ball from hip level, and does not line up the ball, the basket, her eyes and her hands. She has made one three at UCONN ( I thought it was none ). It seemed obvious today ( because she had a few " open looks" from three point range ) that she has no confidence in her shot, either. Instead, she drives toward the hoop, into traffic, and loses the ball. Not worth it. She is all the things you mention ( speed, passing, defense, rebounding ) but on offense, she either has to forget about it or find a "plan B).

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
OK, she doesn't shoot (yet?), but 6 rebounds and 2 steals. To my eye, she seemed more aggressive, more in the flow. I like this. Maybe, just maybe, she can progress enough to get in the rotation. She is plenty good enough of an athlete. I think she needs to continue to relax and just play hard (and smart).

I think with more successful playing time her confidence should increase. Of course she will need a few good shows against the tough teams to be considered for the rotation. She will have to continue to earn playing time through stellar practices. After all she is not 6'5" tall. Therefore she gets no "Advance to Go" or "Get out of Geno's Doghouse Free" cards. About Coombs I don't believe Geno will ever say "perhaps she is just a player who plays better than she practices." :rolleyes:;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I do hope that she works all summer on her shot, and comes back next year with a reasonably solid mid-range game. With her athleticism, she could be quite good.

We shall see.
Yes. We always have to keep in mind that she was constrained this past summer regarding what she could do. Hard to work on a jump shot if you can't jump.

Reaction Score
Yes, good point Gus.

She seems like a really good kid. Lots of upside. My comment was meant to focus on her upside, not her not working hard. Maybe I didn't make that clear.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Hopefully we will see her raise her BB IQ, that is the only thing keeping her on the bench, struggles to make good decisions on both ends of the floor, as athletic as you can get, ever figures out what she is doing out there will absolutely smoke opponents...

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Some thought CW played like Naketa (sp) Sales; I'd say Coombs plays like her, without the confidence. Her leaping while attacking the basket is pure Sales, Bloomfields Best.

C
She played some good minutes today. Defending, rebounding ,blocks, steals. But when it comes to shooting she resembles Soupy Sales more than Nykesha Sales! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yes. We always have to keep in mind that she was constrained this past summer regarding what she could do. Hard to work on a jump shot if you can't jump.
Its is also easy to forget ( put me first in one ) that last year was essentially " lost " to Mikayla. Even early in the season, I imagine she was feeling the effects of the illness which, eventually, set her down. So she is not much different than a freshman player, although she knows the system somewhat better.

Reaction Score
The problem is that Mikayla cannot convert a three with any consistency. Her shot is defective...because she " flicks " the ball from hip level, and does not line up the ball, the basket, her eyes and her hands. She has made one three at UCONN ( I thought it was none ). It seemed obvious today ( because she had a few " open looks" from three point range ) that she has no confidence in her shot, either. Instead, she drives toward the hoop, into traffic, and loses the ball. Not worth it. She is all the things you mention ( speed, passing, defense, rebounding ) but on offense, she either has to forget about it or find a "plan B).

since she's quick enough to get around her defender I'd like to see her shoot some pull up jump shots from 10-12 feet..............if nothing else she will draw some defenders her way leading to open looks for others............I believe she has that shot in her repertoire..........

Reaction Score
She played some good minutes today. Defending, rebounding ,blocks, steals. But when it comes to shooting she resembles Soupy Sales more than Nykesha Sales! :rolleyes:
Soup Sales??? Harsh. However, to take some of my emotions out of liking the kid--
The N.Sales remark was not accuracy but flying high when attacking the basket.
Mikayla, as far as I know, isn't funny---oops neither was Soupy. I never was one happy viewing old men acting silly; that goes to for old/er Jerry Lewis. At 25/30 he was FUNNY at 60 doing the same routines---well.
Got your meaning, and I get until she can hit her shot accurately her time will be in clean up or there about.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Soup Sales??? Harsh. However, to take some of my emotions out of liking the kid--
The N.Sales remark was not accuracy but flying high when attacking the basket.
Mikayla, as far as I know, isn't funny---oops neither was Soupy. I never was one happy viewing old men acting silly; that goes to for old/er Jerry Lewis. At 25/30 he was FUNNY at 60 doing the same routines---well.
Got your meaning, and I get until she can hit her shot accurately her time will be in clean up or there about.
I like her too. But she cannot buy a basket . Hoping that changes soon!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I thought Mikayla showed well. Not long ago Geno said she was good at getting her hands on the ball in an offensive rebound situation. That was certainly evident today. Plus she tipped a pass, made a steal, got a rebound or two. I can imagine her being a lot better by the end of February.

Right now, Mikayla's defense is ahead of her offense, which is OK for now. There will be times when they need her defensive prowess on the floor to either keep order, or restore it. Geno has enough people that can put the ball in the basket. There will be times when he's going to need a STOPPER!!! A stopper the likes of Moriah Jefferson and Kia Nurse.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like her too. But she cannot buy a basket . Hoping that changes soon!

She was averaging 24 ppg as a senior in HS. I don't think she's forgotten how to shoot. Her confidence is gone.
It needs to be restored. Simply run plays for her during the game. Especially against the weaker teams UConn will face.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
She was averaging 24 ppg as a senior in HS. I don't think she's forgotten how to shoot. Her confidence is gone.
It needs to be restored. Simply run plays for her during the game. Especially against the weaker teams UConn will face.
I really hope you are right. It is a shame to have a player no one feels the need to guard. She is athletic and tough.

Reaction Score
Obviously she hasn't taken a lot of foul shots(6 for 8), and she's not guarded very closely there, but I think she shows a nice soft touch from the line. I guess depends on how much work she puts in, but with that touch don't think her form disqualifies her. With her quickness defenders have to play off her, so might give her enough space to get shots off. You watch her, and it's clear she knows how to play the game. For sure, her ability to rebound, for example, has to do with quickness and jumping ability, but also has to do with her anticipation and instincts; things you can't teach. And she can defend. Pretty obvious, I guess, that I think she can be a player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK, she doesn't shoot (yet?), but 6 rebounds and 2 steals. To my eye, she seemed more aggressive, more in the flow.

I like this. Maybe, just maybe, she can progress enough to get in the rotation.

She is plenty good enough of an athlete. I think she needs to continue to relax and just play hard (and smart).

On board with all the comments extolling Mikayla's athleticism, how well she runs the floor and keeps her head up. And she's a banger, with quick hands, just needing, as folks have said, more confidence in her shot and that slick drive to the hoop to finish what she's so capably started.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain what’s wrong with her shot? I’ve seen a lot of posts on here saying she has a side windup, but from highlight videos of her all I can tell is that her shot seems to come from down by her hip.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom