Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why haven't the umps done anything about the Red Sox pitchers using pine tar? It's pretty blatant, all the relievers are doing it. I noticed it first with Kimbrel in the Yankees series, Barnes and Kelly are also doing it.

How sure are you that they’re using pine tar and not rosen?

Husky25

Reaction Score

Pine tar has a darkish hue, but Pineda's transgression was so blatant, it was visible to the naked eye from 150 feet on Pineda's dark skin.

Barnes was definitely not using pine tar. Rather, the resin/sunscreen method, which has overtaken licking of the fingers in cold weather games as an acceptable way to get a better grip. Every single pitcher agrees that the rosin bag is not good enough, and in fact, does almost nothing.

Reaction Score
Pine tar has a darkish hue, but Pineda's transgression was so blatant, it was visible to the naked eye from 150 feet on Pineda's dark skin.

Barnes was definitely not using pine tar. Rather, the resin/sunscreen method, which has overtaken licking of the fingers in cold weather games as an acceptable way to get a better grip. Every single pitcher agrees that the rosin bag is not good enough, and in fact, does almost nothing.

And the batters don’t care because they want the pitcher to be able to grip the ball so they don’t get a fastball in the ear

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not sure this is the hill Astros and anti-Sox fans want to die on, considering:

Metro Exclusive: Astros may have been cheating in Game 1 against Red Sox

My favorite take so far is Jerry Thorton's, which, if you're a Pats fan, is perfect:

I am shocked shocked! at what is being alleged here. The idea of a team trying to steal another team’s signs is appalling. The fact that they’d do it with spy cameras, is worse than appalling. It calls into question the very integrity of the game.

There’s only one way to approach this massive scandal of epic proportions. We need more than an investigation by MLB. We need fines. Draft picks taken away. U.S. Senators threatening hearings. Pandering for votes. Talk about suspending AJ Hinch. Or maybe banning him for life like he’s Pete Rose. Class Action lawsuits from the fans of New York who claim they’ve been defrauded.

Mostly we need – NEED – to see the tapes. The can’t be thrown away. They must be released to the public. Otherwise this calls into question everything the Astros have ever won and slapping a big, ginormous asterisk on their championship like the Scarlet Letter. Only then can the sport be saved and our nation can believe in the integrity of the sport again.

Great job, Astrocheats.

Husky25

Reaction Score
My favorite take so far is Jerry Thorton's, which, if you're a Pats fan, is perfect:

I am shocked shocked! at what is being alleged here. The idea of a team trying to steal another team’s signs is appalling. The fact that they’d do it with spy cameras, is worse than appalling. It calls into question the very integrity of the game.

There’s only one way to approach this massive scandal of epic proportions. We need more than an investigation by MLB. We need fines. Draft picks taken away. U.S. Senators threatening hearings. Pandering for votes. Talk about suspending AJ Hinch. Or maybe banning him for life like he’s Pete Rose. Class Action lawsuits from the fans of New York who claim they’ve been defrauded.

Mostly we need – NEED – to see the tapes. The can’t be thrown away. They must be released to the public. Otherwise this calls into question everything the Astros have ever won and slapping a big, ginormous asterisk on their championship like the Scarlet Letter. Only then can the sport be saved and our nation can believe in the integrity of the sport again.

Great job, Astrocheats.

I read it this morning and I couldn't agree more. Assuming he's aware of it, I'm only marginally surprised @superjohn hasn't commented yet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I've watched a lot of playoff games and have only noticed it with Red Sox relievers. The article answers some questions. It is cheating but some accept it for hitter safety and because others do it. Astros haven't complained to the umps because other teams have accused them of cheating in the past.
How about stealing signs using technology? The 2017 World Series and the 2018 ALDS with the Indians should carry asterisks, no?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about stealing signs using technology? The 2017 World Series and the 2108 ALDS with the Indians should carry asterisks, no?
Not saying anything should carry asterisks but cheating is cheating. I don't understand how we can keep two of the best players of all-time and the best of their generation out of the Hall (Bonds and Clemens) and not even a slap on the wrist when other players are cheating all the time. I don't like selective enforcement which was rampant with the steroid guys.

Reaction Score
I've watched a lot of playoff games and have only noticed it with Red Sox relievers. The article answers some questions. It is cheating but some accept it for hitter safety and because others do it. Astros haven't complained to the umps because other teams have accused them of cheating in the past.
I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of NY relievers doing it in the playoffs - Britton and Robertson maybe off the top of my head? Its happened in the past and pitchers off the record say like 70-80% of pitchers do it and hitters prefer a better grip anyway.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not saying anything should carry asterisks but cheating is cheating. I don't understand how we can keep two of the best players of all-time and the best of their generation out of the Hall (Bonds and Clemens) and not even a slap on the wrist when other players are cheating all the time. I don't like selective enforcement which was rampant with the steroid guys.
Honestly, I was using the Way-Back Machine about your postings on the Patriots and vis a vie the Jerry Thorton comment posted above by @intlzncster.

The Bolded are not comparable situations. Election to the National Baseball HoF is up to those who hold ballots in the BBWAA. Those guys have no direct effect over the out-by-out happenings in a game.

I don't think it is selective enforcement necessarily, but I'd compare "doctoring" the ball to speeding. Both 68mph (resin/sunscreen) and 76 mph (sandpaper/nail file, for example) on the highway are technically illegal, but if you change the rule to include the lesser offense (i.e. increase the speed limit to 70mph.), it makes it easier to accept the greater one. Umpires are more than willing to accept that managers have a wink/nod agreement that nothing less than a blatant rule violation will be called out, especially if safety is at stake.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Stealing signs has been a part of baseball for over 100 years. This is news because it involves modern day technology and not the ol' tried and true method of getting guys on base and relaying signs to hitters. Teams are using double and even triple signs for most/all pitches these days...even when they're at home and nobody is on base. And they should.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

That's the baseball writers. All high and mighty, but stick their heads in the sand about cheating throughout history. It's been going on since the dawn of the game. Some were just better at it than others.

For my money, there isn't much 'cheating' in sports that bothers me. Most of it is just gamesmanship of a fashion. The obvious line is drawn at throwing games for gambling purposes etc.

Also, deliberately blowing the salary cap in the NFL, and taking the 'punishment', but keeping the glory/wins on the field, even though you unfairly benefited by having more/better players as a result. That was egregious cheating imo.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Clemens and Bonds deserve to be there. Gaylord Perry’s in.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Clemens and Bonds deserve to be there. Gaylord Perry’s in.
There's enough circumstantial evidence to keep Bonds out, if PEDs is the only criteria. If he's telling the truth, he would basically be the only BALCO client to not use performance enhancers. Both were cleared of perjury in Federal court, but the bar to clear was reasonable doubt. So that doesn't mean a whole lot. The shame of it is they were both sure-thing HoF'ers before they were suspected of take performance enhancers. They may not have been 1st ballot, but they aren't now either. With 4 years left in their eligibility, they are both over 56%. There is a decent chance they get in.

I used to think differently, but unless admitted to or caught, every player with worthy numbers should get in. If suspected, it should be noted on the plaque. The Steroid Era happened. It should be acknowledged. It's not like the actual Hall is the tourist destination anyway. The museum is far more interesting and, as record holders, they are sure to have an eternal spots there.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Well, I started this thread "Might be another long year for Sox fans" and it looks like I got it right. It is late October and we are still playing.;)
My thoughts every time this gets bumped

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, I started this thread "Might be another long year for Sox fans" and it looks like I got it right. It is late October and we are still playing.;)
My hope is that you learned something.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There's enough circumstantial evidence to keep Bonds out, if PEDs is the only criteria. If he's telling the truth, he would basically be the only BALCO client to not use performance enhancers. Both were cleared of perjury in Federal court, but the bar to clear was reasonable doubt. So that doesn't mean a whole lot. The shame of it is they were both sure-thing HoF'ers before they were suspected of take performance enhancers. They may not have been 1st ballot, but they aren't now either. With 4 years left in their eligibility, they are both over 56%. There is a decent chance they get in.

I used to think differently, but unless admitted to or caught, every player with worthy numbers should get in. If suspected, it should be noted on the plaque. The Steroid Era happened. It should be acknowledged. It's not like the actual Hall is the tourist destination anyway. The museum is far more interesting and, as record holders, they are sure to have an eternal spots there.

Clemens case is so fascinating.

McNamara says x, but all his comments are negated by canseco, who said rocket was never at his party.

And frankly, Canseco has come out of this as the most credible source we have on the steroid era.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This season not only completely vindicates Dave Dombrowski, it may even put him the HoF discussion. He took over a last place team and won 3 straight division titles. But the farm system! The farm system is supposed to supply players to the bigs. It has to the tune of a World Championship. And what about the prospects he dealt? Has any of them panned out yet?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This season not only completely vindicates Dave Dombrowski, it may even put him the HoF discussion. He took over a last place team and won 3 straight division titles. But the farm system! The farm system is supposed to supply players to the bigs. It has to the tune of a World Championship. And what about the prospects he dealt? Has any of them panned out yet?

The kids in Chicago looks like they'll be pretty good. But that was well worth the price for Chris Sale.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The kids in Chicago are not showing much yet. Kopech is apparently having Tommy John surgery and Moncado hit .235 this past year with 217 K's. The one trade where he blew it was the acquisition of Tyler Thornburg. It cost us Travis Shaw. But hey, it looked good at the time.
Big question now is who do we make sure does not get away. Pending free agents: Joe Kelly, Nathan Eovaldi, Steve Pearce, Ian Kinsler, Drew Pomeranz, Craig Kimbrel and David Price.

I doubt that Price would exercise his option and Joe Kelly has made it clear he wants to stay. Kinsler is excess baggage if Pedroia comes back. I don't think they will try to keep Pomeranz but I will be disappointed if they don't try hard to keep Eovaldi. Kimbrel is a big question. If they let him go, can Kelly become the closer? I would like to see Steve Pearce stay and I think he would too but he will be 36 next year and one or two years is the only thing that makes sense. My biggest fear is that the Yankees will give Eovaldi an offer he can't refuse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom