Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans

Reaction Score
Stephen Wright being out is huge Yankees can't hit knuckle ballers to save their life I would almost rather face Sale then Wright. Well we got ourselves a series now.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I never said he CAN"T fix bullpens. I said he did not do so this year. It was quite evident before the deadline that we could have used a few arms. There was damn near unanimous agreement on that. But Dombo's on record about passing on that:

When he assessed the arms that were already there Dombrowski believed they were more than capable.
“First of all, we improved our club in a lot of other directions, and we kept thinking, in our own internal conversations we had, we really felt the other areas of improvement were more significant for us,” Dombrowski said before Tuesday night’s 3-1 loss to the Phillies. “So when we got [Nathan] Eovaldi, that was really the top for us to get a starter that we could slide in the bullpen if we needed to at a later time.
“We talked about bullpen or improving our defense in the infield at second base, we felt that second base was more important for us with the defensive aspect of it. “

I’ll eat crow on kinsler. I thought that wa as great move cause both 3b and 2b were disasters and combined with bogeys d, the infield d was simply not good.

But not getting familia was unforgivable. The Mets gave him away.

He was head and shoulders above what they had. I’ll gice him a pass for Herrera since that was the Nats being stupid.

But their defense at 3b on this roster is terrible

Reaction Score
Right, I mean we don't know what the offers were for guys like Britton. The Yankees were always going to beat our offers for him. What other reliever was out there that was a hot topic, I can't recall.

Edit - I just saw the Familia reference - I suppose we could have gotten into the fray on that but the Mets got a million in international bonus pool money - if that was there big thing they wanted we may not have had it to give.

Reaction Score
Stephen Wright being out is huge Yankees can't hit knuckle ballers to save their life I would almost rather face Sale then Wright. Well we got ourselves a series now.
It's sad to say this but other than Kimbrel and maybe Brasier, Wright was our best option out of the pen. The guy has usually pitched well against the yankees big boppers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One thing about this year's Sox, they aren't going to get outmanaged. Cora was an outstanding hire.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well, last night is one way to avoid putting the bullpen in high leverage situations.

If they are gonna go far in these playoffs, that's how they'll have to do it. Bust open enough runs while the starters are in to weather the storm. It's how they won game 1 too, though to an obviously lesser degree.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sox bullpen just shutdown the Yanks at home. I like their current form. I'm reading all the time these days about guys "crapping their pants". What about guys that don't? Like Ryan Brasier. He tells Sanchez to get the ef in the box, then blows him away. I had to tip my hat to Sanchez when he won the game later. But back to Brasier's balls. The entire cathedral was rooting against him and he smoked Sanchez again. That's relief pitching.

Reaction Score
I do not like the Sox chances in this series with Houston. The Astros have two key parts that the Yankees lack - several quality, shut-down, playoff proven starters, and and offense that can score with the long ball AND small ball. Tonight's match-up is huge as Price for once in his playoff life has to step-up and match Cole. Otherwise, going back to Houston in a 2 game to 0 hole will be an uphill battle.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think Chris Sale should only be allowed to pitch after the All Star break. He's a half-marathoner, not a marathoner. Don't waste him in the first half.

Reaction Score
Deciding to start Price in tonight's game was a gutsy decision and I like it. If he pitches like he can and gets a win for us, we are back in it. If the Astros win tonight, it is probably over. If we can win tonight and take one game in Houston, we will play the last two at Fenway. That might work.
I think the key to last night's disaster was in the fifth when we had the bases loaded with one out and Mookie, Benintendi and JD coming up. Mookie got-over anxious and hit one to the vacuum and Benintendi watched a close pitch go by for strike three. He has to protect with two strikes. It cost us a chance for a big inning and our manager.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Deciding to start Price in tonight's game was a gutsy decision and I like it. If he pitches like he can and gets a win for us, we are back in it. If the Astros win tonight, it is probably over. If we can win tonight and take one game in Houston, we will play the last two at Fenway. That might work.
I think the key to last night's disaster was in the fifth when we had the bases loaded with one out and Mookie, Benintendi and JD coming up. Mookie got-over anxious and hit one to the vacuum and Benintendi watched a close pitch go by for strike three. He has to protect with two strikes. It cost us a chance for a big inning and our manager.

Realistically, what else could they do? Drop him back in the order? I'm not sure that's great for anybody (thinking psychologically here). They have to get a win from Price, might as well go for it now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Great drama for tonight’s game. You have to figure the streak for each starter is due to end, but the odds say otherwise. I feel like I’d bet the house on the Sox tonight, but that’s why I don’t bet. If Price gets shelled that will be pretty amazing. And kind of awesome.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Great drama for tonight’s game. You have to figure the streak for each starter is due to end, but the odds say otherwise. I feel like I’d bet the house on the Sox tonight, but that’s why I don’t bet. If Price gets shelled that will be pretty amazing. And kind of awesome.

At this point, how could you bet against that outcome? It's like a kicker who develops the yips in the playoffs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At this point, how could you bet against that outcome? It's like a kicker who develops the yips in the playoffs.
Clearly Cora is betting against it

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Clearly Cora is betting against it

I said it elsewhere, but he doesn't really have a choice, if he wants to keep the staff going psychologically imho. I mean, you aren't helping Price mentally if you bump him back. And you're gonna need him to make a start. Sale clearly needs to rest the arm.

Reaction Score
Three reasons to be happy this AM:

1. We beat the Yankees!
2. If we can steal one in Houston, we have home field back and the last game will be at Fenway.
3. It's October and we are still playing!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Three reasons to be happy this AM:

1. We beat the Yankees!
2. If we can steal one in Houston, we have home field back and the last game will be at Fenway.
3. It's October and we are still playing!

That really was a big win. Price pitched better than his 4 run outing showed at first blush. Still annoyed at Xander for being so casual on that ball that led to their first 2. He almost got him, and probably would have if he rushed it.

Reaction Score
That really was a big win. Price pitched better than his 4 run outing showed at first blush. Still annoyed at Xander for being so casual on that ball that led to their first 2. He almost got him, and probably would have if he rushed it.
Agreed. Xander should have thrown him out. Not an easy play but one the most good shortstops would have made. If Price was ahead 5-2, he might have been allowed to go five for the win. But who knows?

Reaction Score
Why haven't the umps done anything about the Red Sox pitchers using pine tar? It's pretty blatant, all the relievers are doing it. I noticed it first with Kimbrel in the Yankees series, Barnes and Kelly are also doing it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why haven't the umps done anything about the Red Sox pitchers using pine tar? It's pretty blatant, all the relievers are doing it. I noticed it first with Kimbrel in the Yankees series, Barnes and Kelly are also doing it.

Depends. Have the Astros complained? That's usually the only time the umps look at it.

I do think it's interesting that when hitters are asked about it, they mostly are in favor of it. They want the pitcher to have a good grip, so the ball doesn't slip out and drill them in the ribs.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Depends. Have the Astros complained? That's usually the only time the umps look at it.

I do think it's interesting that when hitters are asked about it, they mostly are in favor of it. They want the pitcher to have a good grip, so the ball doesn't slip out and drill them in the ribs.

The Yahoo sports article I just read says the exact same thing on both counts (pun intended).

Reaction Score

Don't think they have which is also strange when fans at home can see it plain as day. Not sure if it's because a lot of them do it and they don't really care but when guys have it right on their forearm and are going to it before their pitches you think they would put a stop to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom