Midyear transfers (2019-20) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Midyear transfers (2019-20)

HGN

Reaction Score
Wow. she absolutely torches Whalen on her way out the door. If it's accurate, good for her. I can't imagine what disciplinary action will be taken against the Bello sisters - they basically took a knee and stayed at home in protest to not play in the Illinois game. Seems like a lot more going on there than we may be aware of...
Eric, I don't think the player ' torches' Whalen. Personally , I think both sides blew this thing way out of proportion. Whalen probably should have just taken the player to the side in a private conversation and relayed how she wanted her players to act on the bench ( to applaud teammates; cheer ; to display a positive attitude , etc.). A complete lack of communication sent the wrong message in both directions.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
Not super significant, but Whitney was a solid player for Pitt and will be a nice addition for Rizzotti. Whitney decided not to play at Pitt this year, but I believe remained on campus for at least the fall semester.

There have been rumblings that the new staff has not been the kindest to the players whom they did not recruit.

Reaction Score
Barnes has done a terrific job of adding players via the transfer portal: Aari McDonald, Amari Carter, Shaina Pellington, and Dominique McBryde.

As a side note, Jayla Everrett has followed two accounts on twitter, one was the Pitt women’s basketball team and the other was DePaul’s Sonya Morris (both are MO natives). I’d like to see her at Pitt!

Reaction Score
Thought I might keep a running tally of more-or-less significant midyear transfers.

Destinations unknown:
Jayla Everett (Soph., 5'10" guard): New Mexico >​
Destiny Pitts (Jr., 5'10" guard): Minnesota >​
Destinations known:
Aquira DaCosta (Soph., 6'0" wing): Baylor > Loyola Marymount​
Eva Rubin (Jr. 6'5" center): Arizona State > Illinois​
Bre'Amber Scott (Jr., 5'9" guard): Mississippi State > Little Rock​
Thanks. I wondered where Eva Rubin would end up. Destiny Pitts was in the house in Tucson with 10160 fans to watch the Wildcats defeat the Sun Devils. She would have had to have been very impressed with both the atmosphere, the support, and the team. Wonder if she ends up there.

Reaction Score
Per Raoul, Shaila Beeler and Bendu Yeaney are both transferring from Indiana.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I saw a tweet from Yeaney, due to health of a family member she is looking to move closer to home (Portland, OR).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Beeler is a freshman and never played a game due to injury.

Yeaney is significant departure. Was a major part of last year's NCAA tournament team (was a starter and averaged almost 10 ppg), then she tore her achilles during the loss to Oregon.

She returned to the court on Dec. 11 and played sparingly in 6 games, maxing out with a 20-minute appearance in the UCLA game. I was wondering why she hadn't played since the Maryland game.

Yeaney cites a family health issue and says she wants to be closer to home. She's from Portland, Oregon, and so that immediately makes you wonder if Oregon or Oregon State will be her next home.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm also seeing in Raoul's feed that the elusive Eternati Willock is landing at Morehead State.

Willock has had quite the eventful trajectory:
  • I just learned that she originally signed as part of the 2015 class with North Carolina, along with Stephanie Watts and Destiny Walker.

1580595780663.png

• She must have reclassified, because the earliest I remember of her was her signing as part of the 2016 class with Kansas State. (Edit: I found an article that said the NCAA ruled her academically ineligible: Eternati Willock signs with MTSU)

• As a freshman at K-State (2016-17), she averaged 6.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game and was named to the Big 12 All-Freshman Team.

• She was dismissed by coach Mittie in October 2017: https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article178333651.html

• She then transferred to New Mexico Junior College, where she led NMJC to a runner-up finish in the 2018-19 NJCAA national tournament.

• She then signed with MTSU in April 2019, but MTSU announced in early October that she was no longer on the team.

• The release by Morehead State says, "She is set to finish her senior year of eligibility by completing her bachelor's degree in communications in the spring 2021 semester." So even though she has only actually played two seasons (2016-17 at K-State and 2018-19 at NMJC), I'm guessing that 2020-21 will be her last season of eligibility because she won't be eligible for a 6th year waiver?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm also seeing in Raoul's feed that the elusive Eternati Willock is landing at Morehead State.

Willock has had quote the eventful trajectory:
  • I just learned that she originally signed as part of the 2015 class with North Carolina, along with Stephanie Watts and Destiny Walker.

View attachment 50490

• She must have reclassified, because the earliest I remember of her was her signing as part of the 2016 class with Kansas State.

• As a freshman at K-State (2016-17), she averaged 6.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game and was named to the Big 12 All-Freshman Team.

• She was dismissed by coach Mittie in October 2017: https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article178333651.html

• She then transferred to New Mexico Junior College, where she led NMJC to a runner-up finish in the 2018-19 NJCAA national tournament.

• She then signed with MTSU in April 2019, but MTSU announced in early October that she was no longer on the team.

• The release by Morehead State says, "She is set to finish her senior year of eligibility by completing her bachelor's degree in communications in the spring 2021 semester." So even though she has only actually played two seasons (2016-17 at K-State and 2018-19 at NMJC), I'm guessing that 2020-21 will be her last season of eligibility because she won't be eligible for a 6th year waiver?
Someone else mentioned how the long travelled paths of both Willock and Calvert (who was all over the place) ended at Morehead State. USC’s Aliyah Jeune also ended up there after she transferred from Rutgers.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Someone else mentioned how the long travelled paths of both Willock and Calvert (who was all over the place) ended at Morehead State. USC’s Aliyah Jeune also ended up there after she transferred from Rutgers.
I have a question about Willock. Does she not need a waiver to be eligible for next year? The press release says she won't finish her degree until 2021, so she's not a grad transfer. Unless she's already been attending school at Morehead, why would the transfer year in residence not apply to her?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeaney cites a family health issue and says she wants to be closer to home. She's from Portland, Oregon, and so that immediately makes you wonder if Oregon or Oregon State will be her next home.

Oregon's back court looks fairly full for the foreseeable future. OSU could probably use another player in the rotation. I wonder if Yeaney would consider UP or PSU if it doesn't work out transferring to one of the higher profile schools?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Oregon's back court looks fairly full for the foreseeable future. OSU could probably use another player in the rotation. I wonder if Yeaney would consider UP or PSU if it doesn't work out transferring to one of the higher profile schools?
Would Seattle or Pullman be close to Portland for her?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Would Seattle or Pullman be close to Portland for her?

Pullman isn't close to anything I haven't tried driving PDX to Pullman but I'd guess it's in the 6-7 hour range. Seattle is around a 3 hour drive straight up I-5 depending on traffic, can easily get an hour longer. Huskies could certainly use the help.

edited--PDX to Pullman is about 5 /12 hours according to internet, which is never wrong

Plebe

Reaction Score
Pullman isn't close to anything I haven't tried driving PDX to Pullman but I'd guess it's in the 6-7 hour range. Seattle is around a 3 hour drive straight up I-5 depending on traffic, can easily get an hour longer. Huskies could certainly use the help.

edited--PDX to Pullman is about 5 /12 hours according to internet, which is never wrong
If Corvallis was close enough to Boise for Slocum when she was homesick, maybe Pullman is close enough to Portland? Just a thought.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If Corvallis was close enough to Boise for Slocum to get close enough to her family because she was homesick, maybe Pullman is close enough to Portland? Just a thought.

Yeah, "close" is a very relative term, depends on the individual.

Reaction Score

maybe one of the Washington schools in the Pac would be happy to have to.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
maybe one of the Washington schools in the Pac would be happy to have to.

Both will need plenty of help. UW will graduate by far their top offensive player and WSU will graduate by far their top 2 offensive players after this season. I'm not really sure where either is on scholarship availability.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Adding to the list, per Raoul's tweet, Loretta Kakala, who started at Louisville and then transferred to Pacific, is back in the transfer portal. She's currently not with the Pacific team for "disciplinary reasons."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom