Midyear transfers (2019-20) | The Boneyard

Midyear transfers (2019-20)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thought I might keep a running tally of more-or-less significant midyear transfers.

Destinations unknown:
Jayla Everett (Soph., 5'10" guard): New Mexico >​
Loretta Kakala (RS Soph., 6'2" center): Pacific >​
Destiny Pitts (Jr., 5'10" guard): Minnesota >​
Bendu Yeaney (Soph., 5'10" guard): Indiana >​
Destinations known:
Aquira DaCosta (Soph., 6'0" wing): Baylor > Loyola Marymount​
Eva Rubin (Jr. 6'5" center): Arizona State > Illinois​
Bre'Amber Scott (Jr., 5'9" guard): Mississippi State > Little Rock​
Jasmine Whitney (Jr., 5'9" guard): Pitt > George Washington​
Eternati Willock (Jr., 6'4" forward): MTSU > Morehead State​

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow. she absolutely torches Whalen on her way out the door. If it's accurate, good for her. I can't imagine what disciplinary action will be taken against the Bello sisters - they basically took a knee and stayed at home in protest to not play in the Illinois game. Seems like a lot more going on there than we may be aware of...

Reaction Score
Wow. she absolutely torches Whalen on her way out the door. If it's accurate, good for her. I can't imagine what disciplinary action will be taken against the Bello sisters - they basically took a knee and stayed at home in protest to not play in the Illinois game. Seems like a lot more going on there than we may be aware of...
Did I miss the torch? Pitts attempts to explain why she feels the way that she feels in her farewell text and wishes Whalen the best. Pitts could have handled it better and acknowledged what she should have done differently, but the text/statement seems to be an attempt to explain to her supporters that she needs a fresh start elsewhere. Fans have taken sides already as to whether Whalen's action was excessive or whether Pitts overreacted to her coach's attempt to discipline her for undesirable body language.

Both Whalen and Pitts will carry lessons from this action and reaction forward. My guess is that both of them will look back years from now and realize that they could have handled the issue differently.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Did I miss the torch? Pitts attempts to explain why she feels the way that she feels in her farewell text and wishes Whalen the best. Pitts could have handled it better and acknowledged what she should have done differently, but the text/statement seems to be an attempt to explain to her supporters that she needs a fresh start elsewhere. Fans have taken sides already as to whether Whalen's action was excessive or whether Pitts overreacted to her coach's attempt to discipline her for undesirable body language.
I would say you did. She thanks everyone involved with Minnesota - teammates, fans, even the custodial staff LOL. Never seen a player thank the janitors, but there it is.

NO mention of the head coach. She goes on to say she was blindsided and shocked. Reiterated how grateful she was to her teammates, especially the Bello sisters who sat out a game in support of the suspension "they know is wrong".

Short of calling Whalen something nasty, it's as big of a "F...U..." as I've ever seen from a departing player...

Reaction Score
I would say you did. She thanks everyone involved with Minnesota - teammates, fans, even the custodial staff LOL. Never seen a player thank the janitors, but there it is.

NO mention of the head coach. She goes on to say she was blindsided and shocked. Reiterated how grateful she was to her teammates, especially the Bello sisters who sat out a game in support of the suspension "they know is wrong".

Short of calling Whalen something nasty, it's as big of a "F...U..." as I've ever seen from a departing player...
I guess that Pitts could have "thanked" Whalen for the indefinite suspension in a sarcastic manner and that the suspension provided her with added clarity as to how the remainder of her Gopher career might go. Now, that would be more of an "absolute torch." I think that Pitts showed more class in not mentioning any more about Whalen than the explanation as to why she had been indefinitely suspended. My guess is that an immediate apology by Pitts may have lessened the suspension. Two strong personalities that may have been reluctant to agree on other issues as well.

Reaction Score
Abigayle Jackson (6'3" Jr F) Auburn > Missouri State

And re: Pitts, she actually did type a well-wishes message to Coach Whalen and the staff in the text of the tweet that accompanied her statement. Maybe it was an afterthought, but she did it.

Reaction Score

Whalen did a press conference mostly addressing the Pitts and Bello situations, and I wonder if what was said in the press conference was the last straw for Pitts. Whalen claimed Bellos not traveling with the team and missing the road game was not related to the Pitts suspension. Pitts made it clear that the Bellos sat out the game in protest of her suspension. She pointed out that Whalen was deceptive to the media.

Reaction Score
Whalen did a press conference mostly addressing the Pitts and Bello situations, and I wonder if what was said in the press conference was the last straw for Pitts. Whalen claimed Bellos not traveling with the team and missing the road game was not related to the Pitts suspension. Pitts made it clear that the Bellos sat out the game in protest of her suspension. She pointed out that Whalen was deceptive to the media.

Wow! Sounds as though a lot going on. I think we've come to understand that coaches sometimes are not great at dealing with people. Even long-time coaches like UNC's Hatchell.

Wonder what's next?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow. That makes it even worse. @WestCoast - care to rethink? ;)

Obviously none of us fans were there. We don't know what went on behind the scenes or what discussions were had face to face between coach and player, or between the player and her teammates. To me, the evidence seems to support a bitter divorce, so to speak.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maybe the Bellos were the ones who didn't give Whalen the true reason they were sitting out the road trip.

Reaction Score
Wow. That makes it even worse. @WestCoast - care to rethink? ;)

Obviously none of us fans were there. We don't know what went on behind the scenes or what discussions were had face to face between coach and player, or between the player and her teammates. To me, the evidence seems to support a bitter divorce, so to speak.
My original post noted that the farewell text from Pitts wasn't the "absolute torching" of Whalen that @EricLA cited. It could have been much worse.

I do believe that Pitts was disrespectful to her coach and the program in how she responded to her coach's in-game direction and that merited some form of discipline. A number of observers closer to the situation have shared that opinion.

Pitts doesn't think that she was treated fairly. Whalen won't tolerate that form of dissent from a player. Whalen is in charge and can run the program as she sees fit.

I concur that Pitts could have stepped away more gracefully. However, her farewell text wasn't the "torching" that it could have been.

Reaction Score
Maybe the Bellos were the ones who didn't give Whalen the true reason they were sitting out the road trip.

That seems like a bit of a stretch. How would it be a protest if they’re claiming some other reason not to join the team? Pitts is being transparent, while Whalen is not. Whalen is still claiming she’s “respecting the privacy of the player” even though Pitts basically gave up her right to privacy with that tweet. If Pitts said anything untrue, Whalen should have the right to respond with her side. But she choses to do nothing.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That seems like a bit of a stretch. How would it be a protest if they’re claiming some other reason not to join the team? Pitts is being transparent, while Whalen is not. Whalen is still claiming she’s “respecting the privacy of the player” even though Pitts basically gave up her right to privacy with that tweet. If Pitts said anything untrue, Whalen should have the right to respond with her side. But she choses to do nothing.
Ever heard of a “sick out”? People protest stuff all the time without declaring it a protest.

I am certain there’s more to the story than what Destiny Pitts said in a tweet. I am certain that the suspension was not solely about “body language” in a single game. I don’t know how you can be so certain that she’s telling the whole truth here.

Whalen cannot get dragged into rebuttals and counter rebuttals via the media. That is a no win situation. I’m not convinced that privacy rights are waived by what Pitts said, but regardless of that, a public tit for tat is not the way to go for a program.

Reaction Score
Ever heard of a “sick out”? People protest stuff all the time without declaring it a protest.

Wouldn’t the whole team have to “sick out” for that to be effective?

Both Bellos being sick at the same time is again kinda remote. And if they claimed to be too sick to travel, Whalen could have relayed that to the media to alleviate the mystery of it all.

I am certain there’s more to the story than what Destiny Pitts said in a tweet.

Could be, but she’s at least attempting to be transparent, so I’m not so sure what you’re certain of.

I am certain that the suspension was not solely about “body language” in a single game.

That is so much like the disciplinary jargon that they use in written corrective action notices that it’s not likely being made up.

I don’t know how you can be so certain that she’s telling the whole truth here.

What reason is there to believe she’s not? You seem to be in the position that all players are prone to lying. You already suggested the Bellos were lying and now Pitts, even though you’re not familiar with any of them. I feel I already caught Whalen in a lie, so why should I believe anything further from her... at least on this issue?

Whalen cannot get dragged into rebuttals and counter rebuttals via the media. That is a no win situation.

Especially when you’re in the wrong.

I’m not convinced that privacy rights are waived by what Pitts said, but regardless of that, a public tit for tat is not the way to go for a program.

Maybe the way to go for a program was to not hire a ex-player with zero coaching experience and to make sure they have great interpersonal skills, so as to lessen the possibility of these type of things happening. Yeah, maybe.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
not hire a ex-player with zero coaching experience

This. I hear so many times "x player would make a great coach." But until you've actually coached, how would anybody know that? Doesn't matter how good of a player the person was. "Coach on the floor" is an overused and not really very meaningful phrase. It's not the same as being on the sideline...and oh yeah, running a program. And HC at a D1 program isn't really an entry level position. Gotta work your way up the chain and gain experience.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This. I hear so many times "x player would make a great coach." But until you've actually coached, how would anybody know that? Doesn't matter how good of a player the person was. "Coach on the floor" is an overused and not really very meaningful phrase. It's not the same as being on the sideline...and oh yeah, running a program. And HC at a D1 program isn't really an entry level position. Gotta work your way up the chain and gain experience.

I am pretty sure hiring Whelan was strongly motivated by the chance of dramatically improving their recruiting footprint and I am sure there was the possible dream of stealing Paige, The other coaching responsibilities could be learned through good assistants and hard work, I never thought it would blow up as much as it has.

Reaction Score
...Short of calling Whalen something nasty, it's as big of a "F...U..." as I've ever seen from a departing player...
This in my best Matthew McConaughey voice from A Time to Kill:

-
Imagine you are a hard core Tennessee fan (I know... but try)

- Imagine your best player enters the transfer portal after a disappointing and frustrating year for the LadyVols.

- Now, imagine she transfers to
UCONN...

...and then tweets, "Sorry / Not Sorry"

Last edited:
Reaction Score

-

- Imagine the LadyVols best player transfers...TO UCONN...

Shockingly similar to Evina Westbrook's situation...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

-

- Imagine the LadyVols best player transfers...TO UCONN...

Right? Hard to tell who torched harder LOL. 2 players very unhappy at their original schools for different reasons...

Reaction Score
Right? Hard to tell who torched harder LOL. 2 players very unhappy at their original schools for different reasons...
I would say Prince may have torched harder - at least verbally.

But, considering the big picture, and relationship between the programs and fan bases, EW transferring to UCONN had to sting a lot worse. (I mean, "...and then she went on social media and glorified their name!!!")

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would say Prince may have torched harder - at least verbally.

But, considering the big picture, and relationship between the programs and fan bases, EW transferring to UCONN had to sting a lot worse. (I mean, "...and then she went on social media and glorified their name!!!")
I still get a big smile on my face every time I think about Westbrook saying "buh-bye" to the orange. I wonder if Evina ever thought:

1579374984275.png

Reaction Score
This might fall under significant:

Former top-100 player and last year’s Mountain West FOY. From St. Louis, MO.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What is her name? I usually know and have seen the players who come from St. Louis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom