Mid-week 8:30 tips at Gampel | The Boneyard

Mid-week 8:30 tips at Gampel

Reaction Score
Are they trying to ensure that the lower bowl will be empty? The older fans that populate those seats will mostly skip those games, and the ones that do go will leave at the beginning of the second half.

Seems to me that for some past seasons they scheduled most Gampel games on weekends, which makes sense so people have the time to make the trip.

I'm not trying to rehash the Gampel vs. Hartford argument for the zillionth time, but they need to let students fill the empty seats. At Hartford you can go down and fill an empty seat in most of the lower bowl except for the courtside seats. At Gampel, there is an usher at the top of every lower section checking tickets.

Don't we want to be a tough place for opposing teams to play? The student section is loud at Gampel, but an empty lower bowl gives away your home court advantage.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Nothing is predictable in a post Covid world. People are itching to get out so I wouldn’t be so certain the place doesn’t fill out and stay that way.

Reaction Score
It's better than 9pm time slot we had in the AAC (of course). The 8:30 games are St. John's, Georgetown and Seton Hall -- people will show up for those games at least (unlike let's say a DePaul). The latter two happen to be on CBSSN if you want an extra incentive to attend...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Are they trying to ensure that the lower bowl will be empty? The older fans that populate those seats will mostly skip those games, and the ones that do go will leave at the beginning of the second half.

Seems to me that for some past seasons they scheduled most Gampel games on weekends, which makes sense so people have the time to make the trip.

I'm not trying to rehash the Gampel vs. Hartford argument for the zillionth time, but they need to let students fill the empty seats. At Hartford you can go down and fill an empty seat in most of the lower bowl except for the courtside seats. At Gampel, there is an usher at the top of every lower section checking tickets.

Don't we want to be a tough place for opposing teams to play? The student section is loud at Gampel, but an empty lower bowl gives away your home court advantage.

Gives us down state people time to get there after work. Im never worried about what time I get home (thats for babies and 80 year olds) Im always worried about making tip. Much easier to make 830 tip than 700 pm for me.

Also if the extra hour of sleep is so vital to you, fine, but why does that mean the lower bowl should be empty? There is a ticket holder program to leave your tix to someone else, including students for games.

Reaction Score

I’m sure snow flurries will give those fans their excuse to stay home

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t mind a policy that lets people move down during timeouts say halfway through the first half. What’s the harm in that? If someone shows up, the squatters just have to move.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t mind a policy that lets people move down during timeouts say halfway through the first half. What’s the harm in that? If someone shows up, the squatters just have to move.
Sure, just destroy a handful of folks' reason for living.

Reaction Score

Are there really people who can't stay up until 11 at night for something they really enjoy? I could understand if you're in your 90's or on your death bed but outside of that it seems ridiculous.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Are there really people who can't stay up until 11 at night for something they really enjoy? I could understand if you're in your 90's or on your death bed but outside of that it seems ridiculous.
As one my mangers told me “You can get all the sleep you want when you are dead.”

Reaction Score
It's better than 9pm time slot we had in the AAC (of course). The 8:30 games are St. John's, Georgetown and Seton Hall -- people will show up for those games at least (unlike let's say a DePaul). The latter two happen to be on CBSSN if you want an extra incentive to attend...
seriously, the folks on this board will find a way to complain about anything.

on a side note- do you think the CBSSN games are better than those on FS1?

the fact that our game against UMES is on cbssn made me wonder because that's not must see tv. then again we have our games against gtown on both CBS and CBSSN...

i'd rank the networks we appear on this year as CBS>FOX>ESPN>ESPN2/FS1>CBSSN>FS2

Reaction Score

If fans won't show up for a Big East game because it's too late at 8:30 good, let's weed out all the casual fans and open up those seats for people who want them

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

I have it on good word that’s exactly what they are trying to do. Nice investigative work. ‍♂️

Reaction Score
I live in Boston so an 8:30 tip is awesome. Will give me plenty of time to drive down to Storrs. Idgaf if I get home at midnight or 1 AM, losing an hour of sleep is worth it

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If it started at 7 pm - people complain
If it started at 7:30pm - people complain
If it starts at 8pm, 8:30, 9:00 pm - people complain
If you have tickets and don't go - donate them, give them away - make sure the place is full - we owe it to the players and to all the loyal fans

If 8:30 is too late - stay home and watch at home

I can't wait to sit in my seat at Gampel again - no matter what the day, time or weather

Reaction Score
seriously, the folks on this board will find a way to complain about anything.

on a side note- do you think the CBSSN games are better than those on FS1?

the fact that our game against UMES is on cbssn made me wonder because that's not must see tv. then again we have our games against gtown on both CBS and CBSSN...

i'd rank the networks we appear on this year as CBS>FOX>ESPN>ESPN2/FS1>CBSSN>FS2

FS1>ESPN. I don’t want to listen to the announcers gush over Duke every stoppage in play during a game between two non ACC teams.

Reaction Score
FS1>ESPN. I don’t want to listen to the announcers gush over Duke every stoppage in play during a game between two non ACC teams.
subjectively i def have FS1 over ESPN as well

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anybody know how are ratings on FS1 were compared to the prior years average? I’m curious because it may help the Big East get a better contract the next go round.

Reaction Score
I hate the late starts because I get to work at 7am most days... but I'll still be there.

Reaction Score
Anybody know how are ratings on FS1 were compared to the prior years average? I’m curious because it may help the Big East get a better contract the next go round.
Ratings have been improving on FS1 college basketball each season. Took a bigger bump when FS1 got the rights to the Big Ten. Last year, was also the first year of the MWC. Along with 22 games from the Pac-12.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Students not going to games- damn kids and their video games and their tiktoks!
Grown adults not going to games- they’re too late and I get sweepy:(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom