Mid Term Exams are not over | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mid Term Exams are not over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Graham's opening statement featured this gem: "[T]he best individual talent on the court wasn't in a UConn uniform."

Then: "Mitchell put on an All American show. . . .":eek:

I couldn't make this stuff up. Now I wonder how he did.
I guess he didn't see the second half.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Kib: I didn't read the caption carefully...thought Graham (or the headline writer) said that as a team OS, had more talent...
I almost agree but to put it another way...If Geno coached those players, they would be unstoppable.

Donald doo: I just re-watched the game and have to agree that often, the half-court offense sputtered
I noticed some pretty awful spacing in multiple trips down the floor...folks almost running into one another.
In another thread, I noted how many chippies or relatively close in shots , shots that she usually makes, that Pheesa missed yesterday.
She could have had 40, maybe more.

I think that explains Geno's lack of exuberance in the presser.
He knows they won a tough game, have won every tough game...is proud of them.
But understands that there's a way yet to go with this team, that the composition of the offense is not yet perfectly in sync.
The D, though is pretty darned good.

Haven't seen Maryland or South Carolina, watched Notre Dame
They're not terribly athletic, I think we beat them 9 out of 10
Take away Allen and Ogumbawale and they're slow as molasses.

Reaction Score
McGuff lost control of his team the day he hired Kelsey Mitchell's dad as his assistant coach. (That's how he recruited his star.)

So, who's in charge?

Kib-you nailed it!!! On a related note (literally), I just rewatched last nights game. I was again amazed at the ridiculous shot that Mitchell took at the end of the 1st quarter. OK, she made it but c'mon-she had time to pass or drive but just dribbled around for a few seconds and then took (and made) a low, low percentage shot. What really caught my attention is that only one teammate came over and congratulated her after the make-just one. A couple team mates didn't even make eye contact and walked back to the bench.

It doesn't take a body language expert to talk about their team chemistry following that play! The absolute opposite of incredibly unselfish play we have seen from our Uconn players-year in and year out.

Reaction Score
Graham Hays is a usually a good wcbb writer for ESPN, but he had an off-day when composing his account of the UConn vs. OSU game. He devoted much of his game description to rhapsodizing about "the best player on the court," Kelsey Mitchell.

Puh-leeze, Graham, lay off that spiked egg nog!:rolleyes:
He also said: " And without Stewart around, you could make a case on talent that Notre Dame's Brianna Turner or Baylor's Nina Davis was the best player on the court when their teams played the Huskies."

Obviously he did not watch the Baylor game. Nina Davis was not even the third best player on her own team when they played the Huskies. I like the way Graham writes, I don't feel the same way about how he thinks.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib: I didn't read the caption carefully...thought Graham (or the headline writer) said that as a team OS, had more talent...
I almost agree but to put it another way...If Geno coached those players, they would be unstoppable.

Go read his game account (@espnW) yourself. When you do you will learn that I quoted Hays himself, not a headline writer or a photo caption. He normally writes well about wcbb, but in this instance he definitely had (to quote myself) an "off-day."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Graham's opening statement featured this gem: "[T]he best individual talent on the court wasn't in a UConn uniform."

Then: "Mitchell put on an All American show. . . .":eek:

I couldn't make this stuff up. Now I wonder how he did.

I was critical of Graham Hays when he seemed to go overboard in his praise for Kelsey Mitchell after the OSU game. Chalk it up to my UConn bias or Graham misfiring. His current column about the 90th win was masterfully composed. Peace.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom