Mid-Major Poll | The Boneyard

Mid-Major Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like this. A nice spotlight on some less-prominent teams. All the conferences convered except the BCS 6, A-10, Conf USA, Mtn West, and WAC. (Though the latter 2 should be added.)

Is Mel Thomas still at FGCU?

1. Green Bay (27) ...... 10-0 771 1 Horizon
2. Delaware (2) ........ 9-0 740 2 Colonial Athletic
3. Gonzaga (2) ........ 10-2 718 3 West Coast
4. Florida Gulf Coast ... 8-1 679 4 Atlantic Sun
5. BYU .................. 11-2 593 8 West Coast

http://www.collegeinsider.com/midmajor/

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
nice to see Towson in there. they have played well after their blowout losses to UCONN and Maryland... and of course good to see Jen's Hartford team getting some love.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like this. A nice spotlight on some less-prominent teams. All the conferences convered except the BCS 6, A-10, Conf USA, Mtn West, and WAC. (Though the latter 2 should be added.)

Is Mel Thomas still at FGCU?

1. Green Bay (27) 10-0 771 1 Horizon
2. Delaware (2) 9-0 740 2 Colonial Athletic
3. Gonzaga (2) 10-2 718 3 West Coast
4. Florida Gulf Coast 8-1 679 4 Atlantic Sun
5. BYU 11-2 593 8 West Coast

http://www.collegeinsider.com/midmajor/
Green Bay plays good basketball, as does Gonzaga. If Mel has anything to do with it, Florida Gulf Coast does as well.

I guess Marist has dropped off.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Green Bay plays good basketball, as does Gonzaga. If Mel has anything to do with it, Florida Gulf Coast does as well.

Mel is "Director of Basketball Operations" at FGCU. In this role, she is not allowed to "coach" (Like Jack Eisenman when he was at UConn). This said, Mel has lots of interfaces with players and coaches which are, I am certain, very positive in a variety of ways.

Mel "loves her job". Whenever I talk with her, she sounds very much like a "happy camper."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks to you and Nan. Did the Marist coach leave?
No, Brian Giorgis is still there. The Red Foxes lost three of last year's starters to graduation, including the MAAC Player of the Year guard Erica Allenspach, and its post players are inexperienced. Marist is rebuilding.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Florida Gulf Coast also got a top 100 recruit this season in 6'1 guard Whitney Knight out of North Carolina. Had originally committed to Duke and then changed. That helps!

Reaction Score

The FGCU coach, Carl Smesko, is a mid major Geno. He has had outstanding teams for at least the last eight years. This is the first year they qualify to play in the NCAA.s His teams play team ball. They play with intensity and beat many of the tier 1 teams. If Mel is still at FGCU she is learning from a Geno type coach

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The FGCU coach, Carl Smesko, is a mid major Geno. He has had outstanding teams for at least the last eight years. This is the first year they qualify to play in the NCAA.s His teams play team ball. They play with intensity and beat many of the tier 1 teams. If Mel is still at FGCU she is learning from a Geno type coach
As OC said, yes, Mel is still there.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
No, Brian Giorgis is still there. The Red Foxes lost three of last year's starters to graduation, including the MAAC Player of the Year guard Erica Allenspach, and its post players are inexperienced. Marist is rebuilding.
I think they also lost their best player from last year via transfer. A post, and very good, but I can't remember her name.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think they also lost their best player from last year via transfer. A post, and very good, but I can't remember her name.
Kid from Maine or New Hampshire - she was the top rated girl from New England in her senior year of high school. Her name is on the tip of my tongue....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was thinking of Kelsey Beynnon - from Vermont, LOL.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have to say it with a laugh - a team with a first rate coach has an off year and someone wonders if the coach left. Um - that's the real world, there are only a very few teams that reload, not rebuild!!

As to the conferences in the mid-major poll - what has the C-USA done lately? Or the WAC as noted? At least until the latest shifting around, Mountain West was actually OK.

Reaction Score
As to the conferences in the mid-major poll - what has the C-USA done lately? Or the WAC as noted? At least until the latest shifting around, Mountain West was actually OK.

Since it's a Coaches poll, it's probably only those coaches/conferences that choose to participate.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Since it's a Coaches poll, it's probably only those coaches/conferences that choose to participate.
Presumably.

But it is really interesting to recognize the changes over the years in looking at conferences. The WAC and / or its coaches can consider itself somehow better than its peers, but I can't see any evidence of it. Generally one bid conference.

C-USA declined with the loss of DePaul, Louisville, Marqette, etc; and Mountain West now feeling departure of BYU, Utah.

I have always noted that the A-10 is treated differently by the committee, and regardless of an actual RPI or SOS ranking, is probably #6 among conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom