Mid-Major Player of the Year Award (Her Hoop Stats_ | The Boneyard

Mid-Major Player of the Year Award (Her Hoop Stats_

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Her Hoop Stats is proud to announce that Becky Hammon (Colorado State, 1995-99) has graciously agreed to be the namesake for our Mid-Major Player of the Year Award. The Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award is the first of its kind and recognizes excellent players in any of the 25 mid-major conferences.

HerHoopStats.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Beckie Hammon is certainly a worthy choice to name the award after, but how about Jackie Stiles from MO St?

Stiles was the 1st player in history to score more than 1000 pts in a season, and she was the career scoring leader until her record was broken by Kelsey Plum in 2017.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wait, @CamrnCrz1974 , you're the brains and brawn behind Her Hoop Stats?? How did I not know this??

Plebe

Reaction Score
The people on the watch list all look deserving (there are a few I haven't seen play), but I'd like to see a list that includes Alexa Willard and Keri Jewett-Giles.

Reaction Score
Her Hoop Stats is proud to announce that Becky Hammon (Colorado State, 1995-99) has graciously agreed to be the namesake for our Mid-Major Player of the Year Award. The Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award is the first of its kind and recognizes excellent players in any of the 25 mid-major conferences.

View attachment 50364

Just surprised no one from Gonzaga.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Just surprised no one from Gonzaga.
The thing is they are so balanced. Their top scorer is Townsend at 12.0 ppg, but they have 4 players who average between 9.5 and 12.0. Kinda similar with their rebounding -- top rebounder has only 6.2 ppg. They'll have probably at least 3 or 4 or the all-WCC team, but no one's stats jump out for national awards.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Do you consider the other schools in the AAC to be "mid-majors"?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Do you consider the other schools in the AAC to be "mid-majors"?
From the linked page:

"To be eligible for the award and watch lists, players must compete in one of the 25 conferences deemed to be “mid-major”. The following conferences are considered high-major for the purposes of this award, and thus ineligible: AAC, ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC. Players are selected based on their on-court production in the 2019-20 NCAA season."

Reaction Score
From the linked page:

"To be eligible for the award and watch lists, players must compete in one of the 25 conferences deemed to be “mid-major”. The following conferences are considered high-major for the purposes of this award, and thus ineligible: AAC, ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC. Players are selected based on their on-court production in the 2019-20 NCAA season."

Will it go to 26 conferences next year though?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Will it go to 26 conferences next year though?
A fair question.

Certainly in women's basketball, it'll be a weak league with nothing meaningful to distinguish it from traditional mid-majors. But in the sports that drive the bus, not much changes. In football, if anything, it'll be stronger and will remain by far the most significant non-p5 conference. In MBB, which matters to the media far more than WBB, it's frankly not a huge blow in terms of competitiveness.

Ultimately the term mid-major is an unofficial and arbitrary designation, and any decision about its use will rest with the string-pullers in the media. But I don't think their decision will hinge on how competitive the AAC is in WBB.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
From the linked page:

Yes, but I was asking UCONN fans about how they consider other members of the AAC.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
List is missing Kayla Padilla of Penn.
As a freshman sg/pg she is averaging 19.5 ppg
2 Rebounds a game
Shooting 49% overall and 44% from 3
Averages 32 mpg, most on Penn and 2.5 assists a game, 1.5 steals pg

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes, but I was asking UCONN fans about how they consider other members of the AAC.
What's the definition of a "mid-major"? It's an arbitrary and meaningless label invented by the media.

Technically the AAC is the successor of the old Big East. I suppose that's why the AAC isn't deemed a mid-major by media outlets.

If this is about quality of play, I don't think anyone in the AAC is any worse than Ole Miss or Pitt. And as bad as the conference is this year, South Florida and Temple still managed to give fits to Baylor and South Carolina.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Chanette Hicks is having a heck of a season so far.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd love to see Bella win it - nice award for her and great publicity for Princeton and Carla...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom