Mid-July way too early preason predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mid-July way too early preason predictions

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Victor64, I agree. I can’t see a starting lineup that does not include Azzi and Aaliyah.
As soon I saw that you had posted in this thread, I realized that I was channeling my inner Carnac. My apologies for stealing your thunder.

Reaction Score
There we have it, finally. Now we can jump right to November. #5 is half right, Nika will start. You heard it here.
Of course she will. Great point defense, grit, courage and now experience. Geno said over and over that the team ran better with her.

Reaction Score
Aubrey has a consistent jump shot. She had it in high school and Geno said she has been showing it in practice. Also, I don't think Liv having a bad game against Arizona had anything to do with Geno wanting Dorka to play for UConn. I believe if Liv had had an outstanding game Geno still would have accepted Dorka.
He has needed an experienced and strong true back up center for a long time and now he has one. She has intimated that she is staying for 2 years anyway.

Reaction Score
Ono will start but, last year, she sat a lot of minutes due to fouls. Dorka will get plenty of playing time. Aubry last year put in some very impactful short-minute stretches in terms of defense and under the basket rebounding and scoring. and also on fast breaks. I think the same will happened this year,

Concerning playing time, I do not think that is the primary concern for the players. If it was, they would not have all some here or would have transferred. If they wanted to play 40 minutes they could have gone to Notre Dame, etc. College ball is not the culmination of their career. It is the training ground.

As Dorka said, she is here to become the best basketball player that she can be- for her professional career. Playing time is the grade they get for their hard work and performance in class (practice)

UConn has the best teaching staff in the country, most of their fellow students will be stars in the WNBA, a good number will be Olympians.

They will have multiple NCAA appearances and championships. And they will enjoy lifetime membership in a unique basketball sorority.

Finally, they will be able to say that they were coached by Geno Auriemma and Chris Dailey

Reaction Score
Aubrey has a consistent jump shot. She had it in high school and Geno said she has been showing it in practice. Also, I don't think Liv having a bad game against Arizona had anything to do with Geno wanting Dorka to play for UConn. I believe if Liv had had an outstanding game Geno still would have accepted Dorka.
We haven’t seen her have a consistent jump shot in the college game yet. She’s a liability on offense most of the time and looks hesitant. And totally agree Dorka would be here regardless of Liv’s AZ game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He has needed an experienced and strong true back up center for a long time and now he has one. She has intimated that she is staying for 2 years anyway.
So........... we want her to have a great year, but not so great as to make her a lottery pick? :D

Reaction Score
Juhasz seems to see the opportunity she has for a nice career playing, both in the W and certainly in Euro league. UConn hasn't had a backup post this good since Stokes left. Not that they are the same but when Stokes came in the game, no matter who she replaced I knew the area around the defensive basket was in better hands. Juhasz seems to have more offensive skills so it's a matter of her picking up the offense & the defense. I can't wait to see Bueckers passing to her, open and alone underneath.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple to me;
Paige / Nika
Azzi / EW
Crystal / Caroline Ducharme
AE / EW or Aubrey
Ono / Ohio

Let the battles begin. Limited Saylor, Mir, Piath, if he goes to only 8 Aubrey and Caroline Ducharme are also added to limited minutes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Dorka intimating staying for two years is the best news I’ve read all week. I sure hope it comes to pass. UConn can certainly benefit from her leadership and experience.

Reaction Score
Just for information anyone born in the western hemisphere is an American. We in the US like to think it's only us.
This is just silly! I could go anywhere in the world and say I’m an American and not one person would follow up with, “Yes but what country are you from?” Even the dictionary defines American as “a native or citizen of the United States”. No offense intended but the tired self-flagellation for being an inhabitant of the United States thing is definitely wearing thin. I don’t get it but if that’s your thing, go to it. However, saying something you may wish were true certainly does not make it true.
Of course she will. Great point defense, grit, courage and now experience. Geno said over and over that the team ran better with her.
I will be very surprised if Nika starts! Starting her means relegating to the bench at least one of the following; Azzi, widely held to be as good or better than Paige, Evina, a senior, former number two ranked player in the country, by all accounts an extraordinary leader, and who reportedly may be finally healthy, Christyn, a senior who most believe finally found herself last year and who is widely expected to have her best season this year, Aaliyah, who was so impressive last season and who is almost universally expected to be hugely improved after playing in the Tokyo Olympics this offseason, Liv, a senior post who, while she has admittedly underperformed in most (not all) big games, has been a good solid center for Geno since she first came on board and who is reportedly finally working on adding elements to her game that could elevate her to the level we had hoped for these past two years. Every one of these players is probably better overall than Nika. I like Nika, her intensity, drive, great passing ability, and “in your face” attitude is sorely needed on this team! However, I believe she will make her contributions this season as the primary backup for Paige and in relief of one or more of the players I listed. This is not even mentioning Dorka, a versatile 6’5” inside/outside post who once shot the three at around 40% and who averaged a double double at Ohio State, Caroline 6’2”, who beat Azzi in a three point shooting contest and who reportedly was the most improved player during the recent training camp, Saylor 6’2”, who is supposedly healthy for the first time since she joined the team, or Aubrey and Mir, both incredible athletes who can do things no one else on this team is capable of and who could conceivably leapfrog many of the above mentioned players if they are able to add some offense to their game. I realize this was pretty long winded but my point is; this team is incredibly talented! I honestly can’t believe just how talented they really are! I cannot wait for November!!!!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Just for information anyone born in the western hemisphere is an American. We in the US like to think it's only us.
Cubans? Haitians? Bermudians? Actually the list of countries in the Western Hemisphere but not in North or South America is far greater than that.

D0AA456C-C7C4-4425-A7A9-10ABB67199C3.jpeg

(Sorry the list is too long. I couldn’t fit it all in a screen shot.)

If you are going to be sanctimonious, you probably should take a moment to make sure you are right first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There we have it, finally. Now we can jump right to November. #5 is half right, Nika will start. You heard it here.
I suspect Nika will start. But even if she doesn't start I think she will get plenty of minutes. Why? If Paige and Azzi go nuts on opponents (as we think they will) with Nika brining the ball up court Geno will be hard pressed to break up this 3 guard line up.

Reaction Score
I think we forget that if Dorka had not come here, we probably still would have had confidence that finally Liv had a good backup with size because of Amari. Anybody ranked in her range could logically be presumed to be a way above average backup in her freshmen year, and a good starter down the road.

We managed last year without a true C backup because Aaliyah could shift over there for much of the game, and Aubrey and Mir were capable at PF when Aaliyah was at center, and of course we played small ball with wings there quite a bit as well.

The big difference is Dorka is a proven good player against quality competition with three years of experience. Good enough to be a threat to Liv and a virtual sure thing to be an excellent backup at worst.

Now Amari can have a learning year for a future important role, learning by playing against Liv and Dorka in particular. Aaliyah can settle in at her natural position at PF and someday be an All American there Because of Aaliyah getting to start, and still having Aubrey and Mir behind her, the wings that were sometimes used at the four can concentrate on being a wing, in fierce competition with both incumbents and newcomers.

Instead of sometimes winging it with a PF at C (granted a very good one) and a wing at the 4, the bases are all covered. Every position is at least two deep with good backups at their natural position. That assumes Caroline Ducharme with her ranking is at least capable of being an above average backup at the 3 her first year.

PG Paige, Nika

SG Christyn, Azzi

SF Evina, Caroline

PF Aaliyah, Aubrey

C Liv, Dorka

Then if there is an injury instead of looking down the bench past the first 10 at weak options, we have Amari, Piath, Mir and Saylor. Based on what we know at the moment, I think every one of those players would be an above average backup if they were part of the rotation. Regardless of who the starters were, the second team would have a lineup that could compare to most ranked teams starters. I am in the camp hoping to see a faster pace and more pressing to use this amazing roster more, but regardless it will be interesting to see how Geno handles a roster this deep.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple to me;
Paige / Nika
Azzi / EW
AE / EW or Aubrey
Ono / Ohio

Let the battles begin. Limited Saylor, Mir, Piath, if he goes to only 8 Aubrey and Caroline Ducharme are also added to limited minutes.

Reaction Score
Good, but you left out
Pretty simple to me;
Paige / Nika
Azzi / EW
AE / EW or Aubrey
Ono / Ohio

Good Rudy, but you left out DeBerry. I think she will back up Edwards.

Reaction Score
This is just silly! I could go anywhere in the world and say I’m an American and not one person would follow up with, “Yes but what country are you from?” Even the dictionary defines American as “a native or citizen of the United States”. No offense intended but the tired self-flagellation for being an inhabitant of the United States thing is definitely wearing thin. I don’t get it but if that’s your thing, go to it. However, saying something you may wish were true certainly does not make it true.

"Self-flagellation" for noting that Canada is part of North America? I think you are looking for offense where none was intended or even anticipated. It's not demeaning to the United States to observe that it's not the only country in North America.

Reaction Score
Some don't think so, but I am 100% positive EW starts. Guaranteed. Now, what happens after the first TV timeout, anyone's guess.

Reaction Score
We have heard from Geno and the players enough thIs summer to make some way too early predictions.
  1. Paige will log fewer minutes, average fewer points per game and lead the nation in assists. She will hate the first, could care less about the second, and be proud of the third.
  2. Azzi will be as good as advertised. She will team with Paige to form the nation’s best guard tandem.
  3. Bringing Dorka sent a message to Liv. Geno’s post season conference with Liv probably was not pleasant but she stayed. I would say the starter at 5 is unknown but Dorka came to play and I think she starts.
  4. Evina will emerge as the most valuable (I didn’t say best or most talented) player. Her versatility, clean bill of health and off the chart leadership will be the glue to the team. She may not, however, start but play as close to as many minutes as last year.
  5. Nika will successfully address every weakness that Geno identified at the end of the season , including improving her outside shot. Azzi and Paige will be too good sending Nika to the bench as a valuable early game sub.
  6. Saylor’s back will fully heal. She will end up getting more minutes than Caroline Ducharme. Poffenberger will prove to be a better perimeter defender. She is not the shooter Caroline Ducharme is but is a heck of a lot better than what she showed last winter.
  7. Mir will show the most dramatic sophomore leap. A clarified role and a better understanding of the playbook and expectations will be the contributing factors.
  8. Aubrey’s lack of consistent outside shot finally catch up to her and she gets passed on the depth chart.
  9. Piath not transferring tells me that she is ok for now with the plan that Geno has for her. I hope her medical issues don’t prevent us from seeing what the plan is. I think the weight loss was step one.
  10. I think CW continues to thrive in her found role of defensive stopper and provides the consistent play that boneyarders have been hoping for.
Have at it. What did miss? What did I get wrong?
Looks like a good prediction, assuming no sickness, injuries or whatever else usually happens in the course of the season.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Looks like a good prediction, assuming no sickness, injuries or whatever else usually happens in the course of the season.
I don't think I have the starter guess right. I don't think anybody else does either. There is just too much that we don't have access to. My guess is based on what i would do if I was the coach, not what I think Geno will do.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
WOW, I guess now that I have read all the posts on this thread I know I don't know the future and need help. From what I have read.
Liv starts
CW starts
EW starts
PB starts
Nika starts
AE starts
Azzi starts
Did I miss anyone? We know Geno doesn't change starters just minutes. This means that Nika will be our starter for the next 3 years at point, job security for sure. We now have bigs, but only 1 can start because we have four starters coming back who are not power players. This also means AE and Azzi won't start. Based on the previous posts what do we know for certain? Canadians while living in North America are not Americans. Now that I have put it in written form, I still don't know jack.

Reaction Score
Last year ONO, EW, PB, and CW started every game they played and the later were getting 40 minutes a game come tournament time. The last spot went to AG, AE, NM, and I think AM started at some point. It will take some time to settle. The only games they really went to a bigger lineup were Baylor and South Carolina where Aubrey played the 3 much of that game, the rest they seemed content with 4 guards on the floor for good portions of the game. Much of the interest in watching for me is seeing which lineups and players are difference makers when they are on the floor, often it seemed matchup related, depending on the opponent.

Reaction Score
Cubans? Haitians? Bermudians? Actually the list of countries in the Western Hemisphere but not in North or South America is far greater than that.

View attachment 68641
(Sorry the list is too long. I couldn’t fit it all in a screen shot.)

If you are going to be sanctimonious, you probably should take a moment to make sure you are right first.

If saying that anyone born in the Americas, North or South, is an American is sanctimonoious I plead guilty.
Saying that one has to be born in the US sounds jingoistic to me.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If saying that anyone born in the Americas, North or South, is an American is sanctimonoious I plead guilty.
Saying that one has to be born in the US sounds jingoistic to me.
That's not what he said. He said anymore born in the Western Hemisphere is an American. That is unequivocally inaccurate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom