Mid-July way too early preason predictions | The Boneyard

Mid-July way too early preason predictions

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
We have heard from Geno and the players enough thIs summer to make some way too early predictions.
  1. Paige will log fewer minutes, average fewer points per game and lead the nation in assists. She will hate the first, could care less about the second, and be proud of the third.
  2. Azzi will be as good as advertised. She will team with Paige to form the nation’s best guard tandem.
  3. Bringing Dorka sent a message to Liv. Geno’s post season conference with Liv probably was not pleasant but she stayed. I would say the starter at 5 is unknown but Dorka came to play and I think she starts.
  4. Evina will emerge as the most valuable (I didn’t say best or most talented) player. Her versatility, clean bill of health and off the chart leadership will be the glue to the team. She may not, however, start but play as close to as many minutes as last year.
  5. Nika will successfully address every weakness that Geno identified at the end of the season , including improving her outside shot. Azzi and Paige will be too good sending Nika to the bench as a valuable early game sub.
  6. Saylor’s back will fully heal. She will end up getting more minutes than Caroline Ducharme. Poffenberger will prove to be a better perimeter defender. She is not the shooter Caroline Ducharme is but is a heck of a lot better than what she showed last winter.
  7. Mir will show the most dramatic sophomore leap. A clarified role and a better understanding of the playbook and expectations will be the contributing factors.
  8. Aubrey’s lack of consistent outside shot finally catch up to her and she gets passed on the depth chart.
  9. Piath not transferring tells me that she is ok for now with the plan that Geno has for her. I hope her medical issues don’t prevent us from seeing what the plan is. I think the weight loss was step one.
  10. I think CW continues to thrive in her found role of defensive stopper and provides the consistent play that boneyarders have been hoping for.
Have at it. What did miss? What did I get wrong?

Reaction Score
Will Nika start or not?? That's the hottest topic on this forum this summer! Vegas could get serious money placing that bet.

Reaction Score
I disagree with #6. Geno, CW and Paige have all commented on just how good Caroline Ducharme is. She will log more minutes than Saylor.
I do agree on Westbrook. I think healed she is gonna shock and awe a few of y’all.

Reaction Score
I disagree with #6. Geno, CW and Paige have all commented on just how good Caroline Ducharme is. She will log more minutes than Saylor.
I do agree on Westbrook. I think healed she is gonna shock and awe a few of y’all.
I completely agree with you about #6, I also disagree with #7. I think McLean & Griffin may have difficulty getting playing time this year. I look for Edwards to make the biggest sophmore leap.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Did you leave AE off the chart?
Is it possible that an Olympian won’t start for her college team? I seriously doubt it. I think her Olympic experience has positive and negative aspects. Her confidence will be off the charts. I worry about fatigue and the impact of being away from the team while training with Canada

Reaction Score
We have heard from Geno and the players enough thIs summer to make some way too early predictions.
  1. Paige will log fewer minutes, average fewer points per game and lead the nation in assists. She will hate the first, could care less about the second, and be proud of the third.
  2. Azzi will be as good as advertised. She will team with Paige to form the nation’s best guard tandem.
  3. Bringing Dorka sent a message to Liv. Geno’s post season conference with Liv probably was not pleasant but she stayed. I would say the starter at 5 is unknown but Dorka came to play and I think she starts.
  4. Evina will emerge as the most valuable (I didn’t say best or most talented) player. Her versatility, clean bill of health and off the chart leadership will be the glue to the team. She may not, however, start but play as close to as many minutes as last year.
  5. Nika will successfully address every weakness that Geno identified at the end of the season , including improving her outside shot. Azzi and Paige will be too good sending Nika to the bench as a valuable early game sub.
  6. Saylor’s back will fully heal. She will end up getting more minutes than Caroline Ducharme. Poffenberger will prove to be a better perimeter defender. She is not the shooter Caroline Ducharme is but is a heck of a lot better than what she showed last winter.
  7. Mir will show the most dramatic sophomore leap. A clarified role and a better understanding of the playbook and expectations will be the contributing factors.
  8. Aubrey’s lack of consistent outside shot finally catch up to her and she gets passed on the depth chart.
  9. Piath not transferring tells me that she is ok for now with the plan that Geno has for her. I hope her medical issues don’t prevent us from seeing what the plan is. I think the weight loss was step one.
  10. I think CW continues to thrive in her found role of defensive stopper and provides the consistent play that boneyarders have been hoping for.
3) Liv starts. 4) E starts 5) Nika will start and play maybe in rotation but not as a an early exit 6) Caroline Ducharme is a better shooter and will play more 7) We hope. 8) No, she is valuable in other ways. 11) Liv? That is your most improved. She is playing on the Canadian National team and in the Olympics. Evina is 2nd.

Reaction Score
I really don’t like the narrative Geno brought in Dorka to send a message to Liv. Dorka is a talented player and even if Liv was performing at her potential, Dorka would have been a great addition. Geno brought in Dorka because she’s a skilled young lady who wanted to play at Uconn. If a skilled PG/SG transfered to Uconn it wouldn’t be sending a message to Paige.
Geno knows Liv needs to improve, Liv knows it, we know it.

Reaction Score
3) Liv starts. 4) E starts 5) Nika will start and play maybe in rotation but not as a an early exit 6) Caroline Ducharme is a better shooter and will play more 7) We hope. 8) No, she is valuable in other ways. 11) Liv? That is your most improved. She is playing on the Canadian National team and in the Olympics. Evina is 2nd.
My error. I meant AE, I expect her to be most improved with Evina after her.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I really don’t like the narrative Geno brought in Dorka to send a message to Liv. Dorka is a talented player and even if Liv was performing at her potential, Dorka would have been a great addition. Geno brought in Dorka because she’s a skilled young lady who wanted to play at Uconn. If a skilled PG/SG transfered to Uconn it wouldn’t be sending a message to Paige.
Geno knows Liv needs to improve, Liv knows it, we know it.
Dorka was two time All Big Ten. She is a potential WNBA pick. She did not come to UConn, no matter how great the program, to play 15 to 20 minutes a game as a backup.

If Liv comes up huge against Arizona and has the long awaited strong game against a quality opponent, Geno doesn't pursue Dorka. He would have had Liv, AE and to a smaller extent Deberry and Gabriel to handle the center position minutes.

Geno patiently waited three years for it to click with Liv. After Arizona, I think he decided not to wait anymore.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The starting line up topic has been beaten to death in other threads. I think Azzi and Edwards start. Two starters have to now sit. I choose Nika and Evina.

Reaction Score
I cannot crystal ball the starting team nor the minutes. But
I would like to see the regular rotation ( prior to time in 4th quarter
blowouts ) be 8 - 9 players. Crazy things happen, e.g. KLS and Olympics!

Reaction Score
Dorka was two time All Big Ten. She is a potential WNBA pick. She did not come to UConn, no matter how great the program, to play 15 to 20 minutes a game as a backup.

If Liv comes up huge against Arizona and has the long awaited strong game against a quality opponent, Geno doesn't pursue Dorka. He would have had Liv, AE and to a smaller extent Deberry and Gabriel to handle the center position minutes.

Geno patiently waited three years for it to click with Liv. After Arizona, I think he decided not to wait anymore.
I agree with what you’re saying but I don’t think bringing her in was to send a message. And I’m not saying Dorka is coming to bench, I agree she’s going to get minutes. Liv might lose out minutes but I don’t think Geno would turn down Dorka if Liv was playing a lot better. My whole point is bringing in a talented player to send a message to someone else isn’t what’s going on. He brought in a player who could help our team. Same way SC didn’t turn down Cardoso just because they already have an AA at the same position. She is going to be a great addition to the team and from what GA said it sounded like Dorka reached out and really wanted to come to Uconn.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
There we have it, finally. Now we can jump right to November. #5 is half right, Nika will start. You heard it here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just for information anyone born in the western hemisphere is an American. We in the US like to think it's only us.
Thems frighten words to a Canuck!

Reaction Score
Unless Aubrey and Mir learn to shoot from outside, they will have limited roles, Mir more than Aubrey. Aubrey's athleticism, defense are off the charts. She has to learn to shoot a jump shot and not miss so many layups. Same with Olivia and Mir.

Reaction Score
Unless Aubrey and Mir learn to shoot from outside, they will have limited roles, Mir more than Aubrey. Aubrey's athleticism, defense are off the charts. She has to learn to shoot a jump shot and not miss so many layups. Same with Olivia and Mir.
I agree. I wish it wasn’t true because I love what Aubrey brings. I could see her fitting in a lineup of PB, Azzi, CW/EW, Dorka because they’re all pretty good shooters and Aubrey could be a slasher and possibly get by without a consistent jump shot.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree. I wish it wasn’t true because I love what Aubrey brings. I could see her fitting in a lineup of PB, Azzi, CW/EW, Dorka because they’re all pretty good shooters and Aubrey could be a slasher and possibly get by without a consistent jump shot.
Aubrey has a consistent jump shot. She had it in high school and Geno said she has been showing it in practice. Also, I don't think Liv having a bad game against Arizona had anything to do with Geno wanting Dorka to play for UConn. I believe if Liv had had an outstanding game Geno still would have accepted Dorka.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The starting line up topic has been beaten to death in other threads. I think Azzi and Edwards start. Two starters have to now sit. I choose Nika and Evina.
Victor64, I agree. I can’t see a starting lineup that does not include Azzi and Aaliyah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom