Mickey Mouse Operation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mickey Mouse Operation

Reaction Score
....and only a complete idiot flies to Philly when they really want to go to Allentown and Harrisburg.
Duh! Everyone knows you go thru DC for that trip.

No one has mentioned that one drop of rain causes massive delays at PHL. I will gladly add an hour to my trip and connect thru any airport but Philly because I know that I have at least a 50% probability of a long delay in the worst airport in the country.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've driven from Hartford to Washington, DC (and vice versa) quite often. I take 84 to 684 to Saw Mill Pkwy cross the GW and go down the NJ turnpike to 95. Takes me around six hours. Two hours from DC to Delaware Memorial Bridge. Two hours form DMB to GW Bridge. Two Hours GW Bridge to Hartford. No stops. Slightly above the speed limit. It's about 340 miles.

The same route to Philly is about 220 miles. Four hours should be plenty of time, less really.

I made that drive many times while attending college in DC. Other than those occasional dense fog banks on the NJ Tpke (got caught once), that drive usually takes about six hours. If I had to I'd do it every week and think nothing of it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't get in private aircraft unless they are with well established charters with very experienced pilots. Amateur pilots are a no go for me. I am very comfortable flying with the big commercial airlines. Stepping outside that realm I am very cautious.

That's just me..

We had a friend who was a pilot. He said virtually all small plane crashes are due to pilot error. His point was you can fly faster than bad weather generally travels, so you fly away from it or land and wait it out.

My father had a sales rep that worked for him who piloted his own puddle jumper. He used to refer to what small craft aviators called "the bleached bones route", a designated aviation corridor through the Appalachians. That's kinda funny and kinda not...gallows humor.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When you factor in the time it takes to travel to Bradley, go through the boarding process, sitting on the tarmac, flight time, sitting on the tarmac in PA, retrieving your bags, renting a car and then driving to your real destination, in total, it probably takes longer to fly to PA than to drive to it and if two people are going you just saved a lot of money by driving.
This is precisely why my wife and I used to drive to DC when visiting my brother in law. The flight is barely over an hour, but by the time we get to Bradley, through security, fly, collect our things, and get to his place in Crystal City it was not much longer and a whole lot cheaper.

He and his family live outside Pittsburgh and now that we have two kids over 2 y.o., it would cost $2G to fly. It's longer. About an 8-9 hour drive, but we start out in the evening, split it up, and stay in a hotel along the way. We save about $1,600 and still have our own car to get around town.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I blame Edsall. If he had played a spring game we wouldn’t have to talk about stuff like this.
It rained on Saturday. "True" fans would be lamenting attendance because of the morning rain.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Isn’t it against the rules at UConn to be on “a mission from God”?
I think it is okay so long as they aren't in the huddle.

Reaction Score
I blame Edsall. If he had played a spring game we wouldn’t have to talk about stuff like this.
I agree. I have no idea why he decided to cancel it. I’m sure some of the players were disappointed. They busted their butts off for 15 practices and were not able to display their talents. Hope this is the last time we don’t have a spring game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love that the only activity around here is people bitching about me calling the school out for not funding the football program at a level that allows them to be successful.

Take one second to think about how ridiculous that is.

I’ll never forget this thread because Pudge actually tried to frame flying as more dangerous than driving - I might buy him Minecraft so he can build out the alternative universe he lives in.

Bonus: Nothing makes me happier than when complete BY losers brag about blocking me. If I can get UConnBill to block me and brag about it - successful offseason.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Smart kid... Did we join the Ivy League?

Reaction Score
"I love that the only activity around here is people bitching about me calling the school out for not funding the football program at a level that allows them to be successful."

UConn spent more on the Athletic Department than did UCF, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati.

So.....Where is the money going?

Coaching costs are 50% higher than for UCF, Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, for one thing...

Reaction Score
I love that the only activity around here is people bitching about me calling the school out for not funding the football program at a level that allows them to be successful.

I’ll never forget this thread because Pudge actually tried to frame flying as more dangerous than driving - I might buy him Minecraft so he can build out the alternative universe he lives in.

Bonus: Nothing makes me happier than when complete BY losers brag about blocking me. If I can get UConnBill to block me and brag about it - successful offseason.

You carry a heavy cross sir...........

Reaction Score

I don’t think any on here disagrees on your point for UConn to increase funding for the program that’s on par with the big boys. But you used the OC’s recruiting trip via car as your proof that the program is underfunded. You’re point was valid, however, your reasoning was flawed.
I’ve witnessed you call out others for flawed reasoning countless times
Just own it and move on brother
I will say this, you created a thread that brought the BY some activity. Score there

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t think any on here disagrees on your point for UConn to increase funding for the program that’s on par with the big boys. But you used the OC’s recruiting trip via car as your proof that the program is underfunded. You’re point was valid, however, your reasoning was flawed.
I’ve witnessed you call out others for flawed reasoning countless times
Just own it and move on brother
I will say this, you created a thread that brought the BY some activity. Score there

actually y’all just ignored the first half of my post and focused on the travel part.

1000 apologies for upsetting people with the idea the #2 in the organization shouldnt waste at least 10 hours in a car.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"I love that the only activity around here is people bitching about me calling the school out for not funding the football program at a level that allows them to be successful."

UConn spent more on the Athletic Department than did UCF, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati.

So.....Where is the money going?

Coaching costs are 50% higher than for UCF, Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, for one thing...

note i said football and not athletics.

im assuming you remember when edsall had an agreement with dunn to pay him 150k out of his contract.

Reaction Score
note i said football and not athletics.

im assuming you remember when edsall had an agreement with dunn to pay him 150k out of his contract.

Can you determine football vs other athletic expenditures?

We do know that football incurred near $16 million in expense out of $80 plus million total expended.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What we do know...

$42 million - the highest subsidy in the country

UConn subsidizes its athletic department with close to $42 million. That figure is made up by more than $8.5 million in student fees and another $30 million in institutional support. The student fees are assessed through an annual fee charged to undergraduate students, of which $434 goes toward athletics.

$8.7 million - how much UConn football lost

UConn football was the biggest drain on the athletic department in terms of a single sport. While the team was the highest performing in terms of revenue at just over $7 million, it incurred nearly $15.8 million in expenses. Coaching salaries accounted for nearly $4.6 million, student aid for nearly $4.4 million and game expenses for $2.3 million — the three highest costs for the program.

The program’s deficit was actually much smaller in 2018 than the previous year, but that was mostly due to the fact more than $5 million in severance was paid out in 2017 to football coaches, led by Bob Diaco.

$700,000 - how much more the UConn basketball team made off ticket sales than football

Despite more home basketball games than football games, the football team is typically expected to be the biggest driver of ticket sales in major Division I programs. This was not the case in 2018, with men’s basketball raking in $3.1 million vs. the football team’s $2.4 million. The women’s basketball team was nearly even with the football team, with the department pulling in $9.1 million worth of ticket sales overall.

By the numbers: UConn athletic department struggles to balance revenue, expenses

Reaction Score
I’ll treat this response as serious.

Yes. Obviously that is the point. Nobody important in an organization drives from Hartford to Phili.

I had a meeting in Montreal in early December first thing in the morning. I drove the evening before. It took about an extra hour each way than if I had flown, assuming that the flight was on time. I thought it was worth the hour to be available by phone the whole time and save the hassle. Money did not factor into the decision. I often make the same calculation going to DC for meetings.

So thank you for calling me unimportant. But folks who pay my hourly rate would differ.

Reaction Score
White shoe lawyers...they sometimes almost approach coaches in remuneration, LOL.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

...you could mix a cure for cancer in with that ridiculously wrong hot take, and it would get lost. Cry me a river.

Hell - you could even argue that the drive is a recruiting positive for kids from PA: Think their parents want to fly to see them play?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I had a meeting in Montreal in early December first thing in the morning. I drove the evening before. It took about an extra hour each way than if I had flown, assuming that the flight was on time. I thought it was worth the hour to be available by phone the whole time and save the hassle. Money did not factor into the decision. I often make the same calculation going to DC for meetings.

So thank you for calling me unimportant. But folks who pay my hourly rate would differ.

Kinda odd you’d equate international travel with domestic travel - but sure.

You also know that people who bill by the hour treat time differently than people who can’t right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom