Mickey Mouse Operation | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mickey Mouse Operation

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hell - you could even argue that the drive is a recruiting positive for kids from PA: Think their parents want to fly to see them play?

Yes recruting players from shorter distances is obviously an advantage. That doesn’t really have anything to do with senior leadership using their time most effectively.

Which part is wrong by the way? Do you want to make the case that the football program is funded correctly to compete in the POWER SIX?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yes recruting players from shorter distances is obviously an advantage. That doesn’t really have anything to do with senior leadership using their time most effectively.

Which part is wrong by the way? Do you want to make the case that the football program is funded correctly to compete in the POWER SIX?
My whole point is that your correct funding question is lost in the noise about your flying hot take. The fact you're willing to die on the hill of that hot take is even worse.

Reaction Score
Kinda odd you’d equate international travel with domestic travel - but sure.

You also know that people who bill by the hour treat time differently than people who can’t right?

Wasn't billing anyone for the drive up. It was client development. And what in the world does the fact that I went through an international border, taking 2 minutes each way, have to do with anything?

Why are you grasping? Just admit you stretched to make a point that is perfectly valid in other contexts and let it go. There is a range of trips where folks as a whole are indifferent between flying and driving because neither is clearly better. Five hours is clearly in that range. No reason to go all on us here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My whole point is that your correct funding question is lost in the noise about your flying hot take. The fact you're willing to die on the hill of that hot take is even worse.

the hot take that real programs dont end up promoting the offensive line coach to offensive coordinator when everyone else quits?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wasn't billing anyone for the drive up. It was client development. And what in the world does the fact that I went through an international border, taking 2 minutes each way, have to do with anything?

Why are you grasping? Just admit you stretched to make a point that is perfectly valid in other contexts and let it go. There is a range of trips where folks as a whole are indifferent between flying and driving because neither is clearly better. Five hours is clearly in that range. No reason to go all on us here.

If you want to accuse me of grasping... I’d leave Montreal out of the equation - it’s a suprisingly impossible place to get to other than by car. The NY/DC corridor is also different from Greenwich or Northern New Jersey than Eastern Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Unless you're in a Tesla with autopilot, driving 10 hrs is unproductive. One can do work on a laptop while flying. On the Company's dime, I would prefer to fly to PA. Glad the coach enjoys the drive to secure the Lackawana pipeline.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unless you're in a Tesla with autopilot, driving 10 hrs is unproductive. One can do work on a laptop while flying. On the Company's dime, I would prefer to fly to PA. Glad the coach enjoys the drive to secure the Lackawana pipeline.

I'm not impressed with this take.

Reaction Score
Is what I tried to say
Just own it. It was a presumptuous premise to say the least. Maybe Giufre tries to avoid flying if he can. Who the heck knows?

Heck Mr T. Had to get drugged before he got on a plane right?

Reaction Score
If you want to accuse me of grasping... I’d leave Montreal out of the equation - it’s a suprisingly impossible place to get to other than by car. The NY/DC corridor is also different from Greenwich or Northern New Jersey than Eastern Connecticut.
Did you order the code red?
You will never admit it

Reaction Score
Kinda odd you’d equate international travel with domestic travel - but sure.

You also know that people who bill by the hour treat time differently than people who can’t right?

Well...might be international travel...but Montreal is 328 road miles from Hartford...unless, there are lengthy security/custom delays...I could see why it might equate to a 342 mile road trip to DC.

The non stop flights are available, but the fares are rapacious.

Driving Distance from Hartford, CT to Montreal, Canada

Reaction Score
Driving to Montreal is much easier than DC. One trip takes you through Fairfied County CT, Westchester, NYC, Jersey and Philly, the other takes you through Vermont.

Reaction Score
Back and forth across the Quebec boarder is a piece of cake. Do it all the time. Also a great airport for international travel.

Reaction Score
I had a meeting in Montreal in early December first thing in the morning. I drove the evening before. It took about an extra hour each way than if I had flown, assuming that the flight was on time. I thought it was worth the hour to be available by phone the whole time and save the hassle. Money did not factor into the decision. I often make the same calculation going to DC for meetings.

So thank you for calling me unimportant. But folks who pay my hourly rate would differ.
I'm not a huge flyer, but I think the ability to fly and talk on the phone has been around for at least a year or two.

Reaction Score
I'm not a huge flyer, but I think the ability to fly and talk on the phone has been around for at least a year or two.

Nah... actual mobile phone calls are still prohibited on commercial flights in US.

Reaction Score
Disagree. I have driven to Phili for work dozens of times. Flying is both faster and eliminates traffic risk in NYC and Jersey.

If you are going thru NYC you are nuts...I take 84 then 87 to NJ.. when I go to PA to visit my relatives, 84 to Wilkes Barre/Scranton...(I still drive to PA from FL, I use the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) for the relaxion.

Reaction Score
It was Sunday...not like he had meetings with players/coaches on the travel day. But I will play along - 40 minutes from Storrs to Bradley, 1:30 at the airport for security and boarding. 1:30 flight to Philly. 30 minutes to disembark and get rental. Unknown drive time to final destination. 4 hours 10 minutes if everything runs smoothly. Drive from Storrs to Philly 4 hours 30 minutes on a Sunday. I also don’t know how comfortable our new OC is in a plane seat.
I hate flying now. With TSA and taking off shoes...I either drive or take Amtrak. Mostly drive. I have a friend with a G550 and when I need to fly, he flys me..

Reaction Score
Well...might be international travel...but Montreal is 328 road miles from Hartford...unless, there are lengthy security/custom delays...I could see why it might equate to a 342 mile road trip to DC.

The non stop flights are available, but the fares are rapacious.

Driving Distance from Hartford, CT to Montreal, Canada
I hope Amtrak would put the Montrealer back. I've heard rumors but it and if it did. Train would be the way to go. I used to ride the Montrealer from Hartford to watch a Whalers/Canadians hockey game at least 5 times a season...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't necessarily have a problem with an assistant driving to pennsylvania but I do have a problem with using an icon of an airplane in the official social media when he's driving.

Reaction Score
I’ll treat this response as serious.

Yes. Obviously that is the point. Nobody important in an organization drives from Hartford to Phili.
Ummm Whaler most often, I understand your logic, but I know company execs with their own private plane fueled on the tarmac and they’ll drive to DC - 6hours away versus flying. Why? When driving they can plan contingencies. When flying no one likes to hear - the Air traffic was brutal today. A car can detour, a plane gets detoured and its hours and hours. At least that’s how I witnessed how people in billion dollar corporations do things. P&W, General Dynamics, & Boeing to name A few examples. Of course perhaps Hedge Funds might do things differently.

Reaction Score
Disagree. I have driven to Phili for work dozens of times. Flying is both faster and eliminates traffic risk in NYC and Jersey.

Driving to Philly is one thing. He said he's driving to Pennsylvania. If you take 84 West you end up in Scranton, and it's much faster to get there by driving than it is by plane.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom