Mick to the final 4 | The Boneyard

Mick to the final 4

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, good for him. He's certainly put in the work over the years and has his share of battle scars- some self-induced but I bear him no ill will.

Plus, I had UConn coming out of that bracket and I'm sure plenty of people had UM coming out of it. UCLA making it from that region did little harm to bracket at this point. My UConn pick and potentially points were already sunk costs.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Love this tournament this year (outside of UConn obviously)

Gonzaga, Mick and UCLA, and Houston are all teams I’d be happy to see win it all. Looking forward to the Final Four.

But man, Gonzaga not winning the whole thing at this point would sting for their program. Like the 18-1 Patriots if they hadn’t won 3 titles before that.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when Mick coaches against Phil Martelli. Loved it.

Letting Mick go could haunt their AD and fans for years since he's now gained Final Four credibility for recruiting.

Side note. How does this make Coach Cal look since Juzang wasn't good enough to play for him.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I feel happy for Mick, especially after watching his post game interview with Allie. He came off really humble and even thanked all of his players that ever played for him.
Its pretty strange. Mick comes across as grateful, thoughtful, and a really likable guy everytime I see him give an Interview now. This is the exact opposite impression I had of him at cinci. Granted, I wasnt watching any postgame pressers. Cuz, ya know, AAC.

Reaction Score
Kind of a blessing and a curse.

They are singing his praises in Westwood now. But UCLA fans are a fickle bunch, often insufferable too. If he doesn't make the final four again next year they will start to get restless. I imagine, even if he has a solid 2 elite 8s, 3 S16s type of run in the next 5 years, he will be on the hot seat before those 5 years are even up. They run out good coaches quite a bit. Just the same, enjoy the FF run, that is one of the most impressive runs I have seen coupled with UConn '11 and OSU this year. Only the second 11 seed to make it to the FF after LSU.

Reaction Score
I’m honestly happy for Mick and UCLA. Zags and Baylor is going to be EPIC

Reaction Score
Good for Cronin making the Final Four. I thought Michigan had a chance to test Gonzaga, not sure they could have beaten them. Mick's sideline antics were fun to watch and trying to beat Cinci was always a challenge. The pressure for him starts next year with trying to repeat the big success. He could be the guy UCLA has been looking for and It's Micks big chance to get a championship.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when Mick coaches against Phil Martelli. Loved it.

Letting Mick go could haunt their AD and fans for years since he's now gained Final Four credibility for recruiting.

Side note. How does this make Coach Cal look since Juzang wasn't good enough to play for him.
Never been to UCLA campus but have been to LA. Never been to UC campus, but have been to Cincinnati.

Los Angeles beats Cincinnati in the battle of cities for recruits. Two NBA teams to none. Weather, women, beaches and of course Hollywood. Also UCLA has rich basketball history and so many NBA'ers (if recruits can interpret black and white photos).

If Mick captures Southern California favor and create fever, then he will excel over there. It appears he's on his way.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
First off, Juzang is doing much better outside of Kentucky . Good for him.

Second, congrats to Mick. With his victory, the all powerful Big Ten doesn't even send a team to the final four.

Reaction Score
If Mick captures Southern California favor and create fever, then he will excel over there. It appears he's on his way.
I think the expectations thing is real, but a bit overblown. Lavin's teams got worse and worse, and he got fired after going 10-19. The year before they were 13-3 before collapsing down the stretch (6-8), getting an 8 seed, and getting a lucky win against Cincy to make the S16. It was a downward trajectory.

After three straight Final Fours there was some terrible national press around Howland, and his last 5 years were significantly worse than his first 5.

Except for 1 year, Steve Alford's teams got worse and worse.

The expectations are pretty rough here. But I think all three of those firings made sense at the time. It wasn't crazy unreasonable. Especially since the West Coast is Gonzaga and nothing right now given Arizona's collapse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom