Mick to the final 4 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mick to the final 4

temery

What?
Reaction Score
But that game was hideous. And the Zags are gonna beat them by 30.

'Didnt UConn lose to the team who lost to the team who lost to the team that's probably going to lose in the final four?

Id rather be there and get beaten by thirty than lose in the first round.

Reaction Score
Ironically, UCLA is the only "blueblood" in the FF, yet at the same time they're the little Cinderella team that could.

It's been fun to watch their run but I still want Gonzaga to get to the final.

Turned out to be two interesting semifinal Saturday matchups - two big name west coast teams and two Texas teams overcoming long FF droughts.

Reaction Score
I thought UCLA had advantages at the swing positions with Livers out. And maybe the UCLA pg was better. Thought Michigan had an advantage with the bigs. Nobody played great, but that's pretty much how it played out. I wasn't sure if the UCLA advantages would be enough to win the game. I guess it was.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mick has been a top coach for decades. That didn't just happen last night. He has a Final Four just like Louie now. And Louie is in the HoF.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
cronin2_medium.gif

Reaction Score
Cronin is a whiner, but I've always kind of liked him. Good for him. Good coach.

Reaction Score
Cronin is a good coach & this is a good story, I could do with maybe a dozen fewer shots of his father though, maybe keep it to 6 or less per game at least until the old dude learns to wear a mask over his nose.

But c'mon guys, Cronin was insufferable coaching against UConn and his style mucks things up turning basketball games into rock fights. I would much rather root for the Juwan Howard story and Michigan's ball movement offense coupled with staunch D. Both teams are likely cannon fodder for Gonzaga, yet again I'd rather have watched Michigan's best case scenario of tight game in 80's.

Cincy, err I mean UCLA's only chance is keeping the game in the 60's and the ugliest rock fight in the history of ugly whining leprechaun rock fights.

Reaction Score
How about the ride for Mac Etienne. Supposed to be here at Brewster and gets playing time down the stretch of an Elite 8 game, is going to the final 4, and doesn't lose a year of eligibility. That's a magic carpet ride.

Reaction Score
'Didnt UConn lose to the team who lost to the team who lost to the team that's probably going to lose in the final four?

Id rather be there and get beaten by thirty than lose in the first round.
ok

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Someone should check in on joober jones' mom (i.e. the inventor of the Angry Carrot moniker).

Tried to tag joober but it looks like he's no longer here.

Reaction Score
Great run for UCLA, especially with arguably their best player hurt

Reaction Score
It was fun for me to see Michigan go down! I wonder why?

Reaction Score
We talk a lot about our 2006 loss to G Mason, but in 06, Few had a 3 seed and an All American with Adam Morrison. The Zags got to the Sweet 16 and in an odd turn of events, up by 3 with the ball and with 30 seconds left, the Zags managed to hand their current Final 4 opponent UCLA a victory.

You can image that Few knows how close he is to getting that title and that team is in his way. Nothing is certain This will be an epic game.

FB_IMG_1617206992274.jpg

Reaction Score
We talk a lot about our 2006 loss to G Mason, but in 06, Few had a 3 seed and an All American with Adam Morrison. The Zags got to the Sweet 16 and in an odd turn of events, up by 3 with the ball and with 30 seconds left, the Zags managed to hand their current Final 4 opponent UCLA a victory.

You can image that Few knows how close he is to getting that title and that team is in his way. Nothing is certain This will be an epic game.

View attachment 66496

What a heartbreaking game for them. Imagine having a season like Morrison had, too, and this—this image particularly—being your lasting legacy. Kid averaged 28 and 5 on great percentages. He had 24 and 5 that game, too. Missed a tough shot, a bad foul call, and then his teammate had the ball stripped.

Always felt bad for him.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Kind of a blessing and a curse.

They are singing his praises in Westwood now. But UCLA fans are a fickle bunch, often insufferable too. If he doesn't make the final four again next year they will start to get restless. I imagine, even if he has a solid 2 elite 8s, 3 S16s type of run in the next 5 years, he will be on the hot seat before those 5 years are even up. They run out good coaches quite a bit. Just the same, enjoy the FF run, that is one of the most impressive runs I have seen coupled with UConn '11 and OSU this year. Only the second 11 seed to make it to the FF after LSU.
If so, not to worry. The leprechaun still has his indomitable spirit and if they can't appreciate him there are other real hungry programs that will take him in a heartbeat. Do they sell guacamole at UCLA games? I went to a Dodger game at Chavez Ravine once and families were showing up in the third inning; playing with their infant children and eating guacamole. They mostly left in the 7 th inning, Nolan Ryan was pitching a shutout and it was Yogi Berra day (honored visitor). LA = La La land. Don't worry, be happy.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when Mick coaches against Phil Martelli. Loved it.

Letting Mick go could haunt their AD and fans for years since he's now gained Final Four credibility for recruiting.

Side note. How does this make Coach Cal look since Juzang wasn't good enough to play for him.

Martelli got the best of him last time.

Reaction Score
Screw UCLA. They've been on my list since 1995.

Here's to Gonzaga vs. Houston in the final.
Hey now...don't forget "Hot" Rod Foster out of New Britain that played for UCLA in 1980 NCAA Final.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Don’t like Mick, but I like the team. He’s done a great job and for those reasons I’m rooting for the upset of the century. Go Bruins!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hey now...don't forget "Hot" Rod Foster out of New Britain that played for UCLA in 1980 NCAA Final.
I'll never forget. Even with the new Big East, there was zero chance of Foster ending up at UConn. During that runner-up run, Sports Illustrated had a photo of him dribbling that took up a full page and a half. I thought at the time, that's why you go to UCLA.

Reaction Score

That sets up an epic redemption pre-game story line for Gonzaga (wish I'd remembered this before last night and BET UCLA!!), but the game itself is likely to be neither close nor epic. Gonzaga is the biggest favorite at 14pts in a final four game since 1985.

Of course maybe the 2nd biggest & likely still THE biggest in national title game was Dook favored by 9.5 in 1999 title game, heh heh.

Twenty years later, UConn's upset of Duke still reverberates

Reaction Score
That sets up an epic redemption pre-game story line for Gonzaga (wish I'd remembered this before last night and BET UCLA!!), but the game itself is likely to be neither close nor epic. Gonzaga is the biggest favorite at 14pts in a final four game since 1985.

Of course maybe the 2nd biggest & likely still THE biggest in national title game was Dook favored by 9.5 in 1999 title game, heh heh.

Twenty years later, UConn's upset of Duke still reverberates

Lay the points. It's been a great run for UCLA but I'd be surprised if they keep it within 20.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom