Michigan/Wisconsin Punishments | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michigan/Wisconsin Punishments

Reaction Score
Basketball coach isn't most professions. It's a competitive event with binary winners and losers fueled by screaming fans. Tons of adrenaline. Our coach acts like a damn lunatic screaming at neutral arbiters/judges. You think that's okay in most professions? That's a tolerated and sometimes even celebrated activity by a college coach.

This behavior crossed the line, no doubt about it.

5 games is good for a first offense, especially since that's the natural season cut-off. It's a full quarter of the conference season, and 5x more than what the other people who threw punches got. Suspending for the post-season punishes the players a bit when 5 games is enough to send a strong message.
Here’s the problem with one of your points… it wasn’t a first offense. Howard got his first offense mulligan last year when he charged after Turgeon and told him he was going to kill him. As @mauconnfan mentioned above, he’s leading kids/young adults. Five games for a second offense is spineless from Warde, his president and the UofM board.

Reaction Score
I really thought Howard got his one pass after

“Say his peace”? I suggest you Google the footage that came out today with audio of what Howard said in the handshake line. After Gard gave Howard the grandma arm touch to try to explain why he took the timeout, Howard then grabbed Gard’s shirt in the upper chest area. This moral equivalency narrative is mind boggling to me.
I saw the footage and heard everything. Gard touched Howard first. Gard could have just let Howard walk on by but he had to grab at him. Did Gard really think Howard cared what he had to say?

Not saying Howard wasn't way out of line and his suspension is warranted but Gard isn't without fault.

Reaction Score
No doubt Howard took it to another level and was out of line but if Gard keeps his hands off Howard this never happens.

Guy cuts you off so you give him the finger. He pulls out a gun and kills your spouse and kids.
Later on the police sum it by saying "yeah he was out of line, but this never happens if you didn't give him the finger."
I'm sure you'd appreciate that response.

Reaction Score
I saw the footage and heard everything. Gard touched Howard first. Gard could have just let Howard walk on by but he had to grab at him. Did Gard really think Howard cared what he had to say?

Not saying Howard wasn't way out of line and his suspension is warranted but Gard isn't without fault.
Gard has touched Howard a lot of times. Do you really believe Juwan Howard felt in danger and had to protect himself?

Reaction Score
Guy cuts you off so you give him the finger. He pulls out a gun and kills your spouse and kids.
Later on the police sum it by saying "yeah he was out of line, but this never happens if you didn't give him the finger."
I'm sure you'd appreciate that response.
Yes let's bring guns into this. Giving the finger is verbal not physical.

Gard was physical first however meager. Not saying Howard shouldn't be punished but he doesn't need to be fired like you want him to be.

Reaction Score
Would be a boring place if we all agreed. I think 5 games suspension for Howard is sufficient I guess I'm in the minority.

Reaction Score
Basketball coach isn't most professions. It's a competitive event with binary winners and losers fueled by screaming fans. Tons of adrenaline. Our coach acts like a damn lunatic screaming at neutral arbiters/judges. You think that's okay in most professions? That's a tolerated and sometimes even celebrated activity by a college coach.
Lol he physically assaulted someone. A high school coach does the same thing and there’s a good chance he leaves in cuffs.

Reaction Score
Lol he physically assaulted someone. A high school coach does the same thing and there’s a good chance he leaves in cuffs.
Pretty much every flagrant foul is assault. The players involved in this incident committed assault. They're all over 18. Should we expel and arrest them? They only got 1 game.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

So why didn't Howard smack Gard? Howard lashed out at an assistant.

Reaction Score
4 Brackets I looked at, 2 had them in as last four in and 2 had them out and that was before they lost the Wisconsin game. When the new Brackets come out on Tuesday my guess would be all 4 have them out.
Sounds like they need wins. Maybe not a Big 10 tournament win.... but close

Reaction Score
Juwan Howard should be fired for this. Anything less is an embarrassment to Michigan and college basketball. That was first rate bush league by Howard.

Reaction Score
Would be a boring place if we all agreed. I think 5 games suspension for Howard is sufficient I guess I'm in the minority.
Sufficient for throwing a punch at someone else. That is pure bush league and he should be fired. No questions asked as there is no need for this in college basketball. This wasn't the first time Juwan Howard got in an altercation before(Maryland last year). He had a warning but the second time should be a termination.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
5 games is fine for Howard. Wisconsin coach Gard was the one who put hands on Howard first. Howard was content to say his peace and get the heck out until Wisc coach put his hands on him.

No doubt Howard took it to another level and was out of line but if Gard keeps his hands off Howard this never happens.
Exactly. He didn’t feel like talking about it but then he was grabbed. Then Gard attempted to stand in front of him and make him talk. Ok. It’s a handshake line. Not a “ I’ll grab you and make you listen to me line”. The End.

Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A suspension for the remainder of the season including B1G tourney and any NCAA games would be minimum amount of teeth.

Suspension for remainder of regular season isn't much.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah kind of weak punishments by the conference. Surprised the 2 Michigan players only got 1 game each. Diabate threw a couple haymakers.
Yeah, he got a lot of bang for his buck.

As to Howard five games isn’t a insignificant punishment and it sounds like there is a de facto zero tolerance policy in effect going forward.

Reaction Score

Pretty weak punishments IMO. Let's see if we can keep this thread civil and open

Very weak! Should have been rest of season, a fine and maybe first 5-10 games next season. It's not ok! And idc what another coach does, like it or not should not give a reason to be a bad example of a leader by a show of violence

Reaction Score
Yeah kind of weak punishments by the conference. Surprised the 2 Michigan players only got 1 game each. Diabate threw a couple haymakers.
To me the 1 game suspension for the players is the bigger surprise. They were closed fist, real punches and not in retaliation to anything happening to them other than some jawing/shoving. This looks like it's the Big 10 trying to give UM the best shot to make the tournament. UM may be better with Howard out and Martelli in anyway.

Reaction Score
Look, my first reaction was fire him. Watched the video several times. I wish the Wisconsin coach just let him walk away. I know he was not threatening in any way....but Howard wanted out, and the coach should have let him just keep going. Part 2, if you don't want a time out with 15 seconds, don't apply full court pressure,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom