Michigan and Martelli | The Boneyard

Michigan and Martelli

Reaction Score
I wonder how much of an impact Martell is having on that program. Guy is not a looker but he has a ton of knowledge and can coach. Also makes me wonder if we shouldn't have brought him in on our staff. He could have been Hurley's Blaney.

This isn't to disparage Howard. Seems like a good coach. But he is young and I am sure having Martelli on the staff has been a huge help.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I wonder how much of an impact Martell is having on that program. Guy is not a looker but he has a ton of knowledge and can coach. Also makes me wonder if we shouldn't have brought him in on our staff. He could have been Hurley's Blaney.

This isn't to disparage Howard. Seems like a good coach. But he is young and I am sure having Martelli on the staff has been a huge help.
I think that’s a great point. Martelli is a decent, experienced coach. I’m sure that benefits Howard greatly. Michigan looking really really good.

Reaction Score

Martelli is a good coach and would be an asset to any staff but I like our current coaches

Reaction Score
Martelli is doing a great job for Michigan and Howard. Howard is learning from a really knowledgeable career HC and seems to be getting better himself. They have some really nice pieces on that team, most importantly the 2 newest starters in Smith from Columbia/Ivy and Dickinson the freshman who both add game and th know how to play the game.

They have a shot to win it all.

Reaction Score
Howard was an NBA coach the last 10 years of his career. LOL. In all seriousness, Howard loves Michigan. which helps. He can recruit and he has a lot of credibility with players because of his LebRon James ties and his history as a member of the Fab Five.

As for Martelli. What's the hardest part of a new coach to the college game? It isn't Xs and Os, and it isn't recruiting. It is management. How do you manage the class schedules, paperwork, practice schedule. You need a guy like Martelli who can help you manage a program off the floor. That? And just basic Xs and Os so you don't make the same mistakes Martelli did when he was a young coach.

But, Howard is a guy that many people always wanted to be an NBA coach. They have talent and are organized. The college game has some really good teams this year. Wish there were fans around. I think guys like Howard and Ewing are going to do well.

Reaction Score
I like Martelli, but the comparison isn't really that meaningful. Howard had a number of years as an NBA assistant coach and needed someone to help him transition to running a college program. I'm sure Martelli helped him transition to being a head coach, but Howard really needed to ramp up to speed in the ins and outs of all sorts of college things.

Hurley had come the other direction—high school to low major to mid major—not exactly the sort of thing that's worth spending a coach's salary on. He can improve, but he needed recruiters more than someone to show him the ropes, especially because he needed to dig UConn out of a hole. Howard took over a program coming off a Sweet 16 and two title games in the prior five years. Given that (and his NBA cred and Michigan's brand), getting kids interested wasn't a problem.

Reaction Score

Can't we be happy with our staff? Appears to me that thay are doing a great job. They have developed one of our players into a top 10 draft pick Sanogo has clearly improved, players are embracing their roles and we are playing our best right when you want to be. And we are a very good defensive team. RJ Cole is blossoming under our eyes. Tyrese Martin is an animal - don't you think that has somrthing to do with coaching? I believe the next one to take a big step forward is Gaffney, he just needs more confidence.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

This is spot on, Martelli is very ugly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In his last years at SJU, Martelli had a kid in his doghouse and wouldn't release him just out of spite. The guy lost his last year of eligibility. For spite. Martelli can't lose enough to suit me. I'm glad UConn haunts his dreams.

Reaction Score
met him while on a St. Joe's tour with my son about 10 years ago. Told him I was a big Husky fan. He smiled and asked "is your women's coach any good?"

Reaction Score
Completely Meaningless now, but I always thought KO would have eventually added Howie to the staff after he retired from CCSU to fill that role. Obviously KO’s tenure didn’t last long enough for that to ever be an option, but I thought that would have been a nice addition for Howie to play the Blaney role.

Reaction Score
I think that’s a great point. Martelli is a decent, experienced coach. I’m sure that benefits Howard greatly. Michigan looking really really good.
I will always remember his amazing 2003-04 season when they went 30-2 (16-0) and lost a heartbreaker to Ok St in the elite 8.

And of course that insane game in 2014...

Reaction Score
I will always remember his amazing 2003-04 season when they went 30-2 (16-0) and lost a heartbreaker to Ok St in the elite 8.

And of course that insane game in 2014...
I liked OK st that year they had that bad boy mentality and was a very good team

Reaction Score
I liked OK st that year they had that bad boy mentality and was a very good team
I was very happy to get Georgia Tech in the finals. Tony Allen guarding Ben Gordon certainly worried me a bit.

We would have won, but it wouldn't have been a laugher.

Reaction Score
I was very happy to get Georgia Tech in the finals. Tony Allen guarding Ben Gordon certainly worried me a bit.

We would have won, but it wouldn't have been a laugher.
I felt the exact same way.. the only team that I felt woulda gave us a great game.. tony allen on Ben them graham twins Lucas at the point and mcfarlin down low was tough.. we beat them but like you said it’s no laugher

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Howard is a very intelligent man who Erik Spoelstra speaks so highly. Having Martelli on the bench and in the program is a stroke of genius. Howard will be Coach of the Year in NCAA this season. He is definitely the brightest star of the Fab 5 in many areas.

Reaction Score
met him while on a St. Joe's tour with my son about 10 years ago. Told him I was a big Husky fan. He smiled and asked "is your women's coach any good?"
You probably know this but he is good friends with Geno. I'm sure Geno would have been happy to have Phil around.

Reaction Score
You probably know this but he is good friends with Geno. I'm sure Geno would have been happy to have Phil around.
of course. Phil and Geno go way back when Geno joined Martelli’s staff on his old high school's Bishop Kenrick High boys’ basketball staff in Norristown, Pa. in 1979.

Reaction Score
Boneyard Mojo. Michigan loses by 23 at home to Illinois. Illinois is a good team but it was an annihilation.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
FWIW, they were the best opposing fans I've ever came across in person. (I know we didn't actually play them)
Agreed - was at the FF and they were
the best fan base I’ve ever encountered. Liked Sutton as a coach too. Easy team to root for (to come in 2nd) that year.

Reaction Score
Baylor - WVU was far more entertaining
This was a very good game which I luckily came across. I was hoping for a good doubleheader with the Michigan - Illinois game but I was sadly mistaken. I was not really into hoops this year until the last few weeks. I have talked to others who said the same. Much changes when March comes around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom