Michelle Voepel's tweet about Olivia Miles | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michelle Voepel's tweet about Olivia Miles

Reaction Score
I just don't get the connection to UConn. She could have compared Miles to some of wbb's best/greatest, current/past...but why only UConn? I agree, this is all about "the world is unfair & UConn gets all the publicity."
Voepel's tweet did not reference UConn at all. She compared Miles' numbers to the ACC conference.

I think you're confusing the UConn bias topic with other posts in the thread. The way I read those was that Notre Dame players are getting a fair bit of attention from ESPN too, so the bias talking point is a bunch of bunk in their opinion.

Reaction Score
Are you old enough to remember being force fed Lindsey Nelson with the football highlights every Sunday during the FB season on NBC?
I used to love his calls on kick returns: He's at the 5... the 10...the 15 ... and he's downed on the 40.

Reaction Score
I used to love his calls on kick returns: He's at the 5... the 10...the 15 ... and he's downed on the 40.
Maybe it was because TV coverage was new enough that he forgot that we could see where the runner was.

Reaction Score
I dislike inventing statistical benchmarks for the purpose of touting players/teams. Has anyone read the 15/5 benchmark ever being brought up in the past? Did Voepel look to see how many DD's Miles had and when it didn't fit her narrative she played with the numbers because Miles rarely hit double figures in assists or rebounds?

I'm waiting for " so-and-so is the only player in wcbb to shoot 40% on 3's, have a sister named Naomi and wear blue laces on her shoes". :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well of course. If Clark had chosen ND I bet Muffet would still be coaching. Maybe Miles wouldn't be there, however. Who knows? The same could be said about a lot of teams if Player X were on their team. I'm sure UConn fans could come up with an example or two.

My question was about her not honoring a commitment to Notre Dame. That's news to me.
You're right. I was so wrong about the verbal to ND. Must have been the lack of coffee and common sense.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Did Clark ever actually commit to ND? Is there a link anywhere? I know a lot of ND fans assumed she was going there but.....
No. I was dead wrong.

Reaction Score
"Fun With Numbers"
"Fun With Flags" anyone?
I dislike inventing statistical benchmarks for the purpose of touting players/teams. Has anyone read the 15/5 benchmark ever being brought up in the past? Did Voepel look to see how many DD's Miles had and when it didn't fit her narrative she played with the numbers because Miles rarely hit double figures in assists or rebounds?
Agreed, which is why my OP tried to put that 'statistical benchmark' into context.

Give me a 'statistical benchmark' you think is worthwhile?

FYI: Olivia Miles also has 11 games this season of at least 10 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists. Only two Uconn WBB players (since 2000-01) have done that in the first 26 games of a season: Gabby Williams had 12 in 2016-17 and Maya Moore had 12 in 2010-11.

Notes: Both Breanna Stewart in 2015-16 and Diana Taurasi in 2002-03 had 10. For those interested last season Bueckers had 8 after 26 games and finished with 9.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit envious they get Citron and Miles for 4 years. :oops:
I am not at all. I am happy with Fudd, Ducharme, Paige, Nika, et all. No room on the bench for those you mentioned.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit envious they get Citron and Miles for 4 years. :oops:

I am not at all. I am happy with Fudd, Ducharme, Paige, Nika, et all. No room on the bench for those you mentioned.

Having these players on different teams is a benefit for us as WBB fans in my opinion. The potential entertainment and level of basketball that would be on display over the next 3 to 4 years is exciting to me. Heck, we're already seeing glimpses of it and we haven't reached tournament time yet.

Add in the drama of the UConn-ND rivalry if the teams meet up in future. I have no knowledge of schedules and contract agreements, however I hope there is potential of this happening while all of these players are still in school.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Miles for Muhl, and put Bueckers at the 2.
Oh great. Those who are envy-stricken should go ahead and fantasize about trading other warm bodies for players like Boston, NaLyssa Smith and Haley Jones. Why stop at ND's players.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
messy.gif

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Wait, wut? Honored her commitment? She committed and then came to her senses changed her mind? Says who?

There's nothing on this that rises above the level of message board rumor.

However, prior to her commitment there were posts on an Iowa forum saying that she had committed and that it was not to Iowa and it was all over but the official announcement. Then, a day or two before she announced, the same poster reversed course and said she had changed her mind and was committing to Iowa.

There were also posts on McGraw's Bench after she committed to Iowa that told the same story: Clark had told ND coaches she was coming and then changed her mind and chose Iowa.

Could be total nonsense, of course. The only reason I put some stock in the rumor is that ND and Deja Kelly had mutual interest throughout that recruiting cycle (and she and her mom liked tons of pro-ND tweets) only for Deja to commit to UNC without taking an official visit to ND. So the rumor that Kelly was told there was no room at ND because Clark was coming makes sense to me. With 0 inside information, I believe Kelly would have chosen ND if Clark had decided on Iowa early.

Anyhow, it's all water under the bridge because there's no way Miles chooses ND if Clark is there and Miles has already claimed credit for recruiting Citron to play with her in college. There's a good chance that Miles and Citron are at Stanford or something if Clark chooses ND.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There's nothing on this that rises above the level of message board rumor.

However, prior to her commitment there were posts on an Iowa forum saying that she had committed and that it was not to Iowa and it was all over but the official announcement. Then, a day or two before she announced, the same poster reversed course and said she had changed her mind and was committing to Iowa.

There were also posts on McGraw's Bench after she committed to Iowa that told the same story: Clark had told ND coaches she was coming and then changed her mind and chose Iowa.

Could be total nonsense, of course. The only reason I put some stock in the rumor is that ND and Deja Kelly had mutual interest throughout that recruiting cycle (and she and her mom liked tons of pro-ND tweets) only for Deja to commit to UNC without taking an official visit to ND. So the rumor that Kelly was told there was no room at ND because Clark was coming makes sense to me. With 0 inside information, I believe Kelly would have chosen ND if Clark had decided on Iowa early.

Anyhow, it's all water under the bridge because there's no way Miles chooses ND if Clark is there and Miles has already claimed credit for recruiting Citron to play with her in college. There's a good chance that Miles and Citron are at Stanford or something if Clark chooses ND.
As the ball bounces,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom